front axle leaking

thill

Reaction score
93 f 350 can n chassis dually. changed the gear oil to amsoil synthetic a few months ago. Noticed lots of wetness on front axle ends just behind the rotors. Im assuming I need to changed outer seals? ol synthetic killed my seals im sure. is this a dana 60? Tips on how to do this, or what I need to do. Im no mechanic, but not a moron either.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The front Dana 60 will have the seals for the axle tubes at the differential housing and there won't be oil seals out at the ends of the axle tubes. I have never changed the seals on mine, but I am sure someone will be along who has. One thing to check before you decide to change seals it to make sure the breather tube is open and air can move in and out of the housing. I noticed oil weeping from the end of my driver's side axle tube. Turned out the axle breather tube was plugged. Unplugged it and no more leak! I run full synthetic Royal Purple gear lube so synthetic oil has not been a problem for the seals on mine.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
They're not bad to change. Gotta pull the axle shafts and the gears. Tip of advice, get a bunch of ice and "freeze" the gears before going back in. It's a tight fit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin