Fresh build, smoke, stumped

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Ugh OK I'll get my ass out there and swap them.
Good thing I got a return kit from Russ, I have o rings out the ass right now

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Got the new o rings and sealing washers on, and then it just started raining like nobody's business.

I hate today.

Lumberjackchuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Nero @KansasIDI

Sounds like multiple bad injectors, yikes!

Hopefully that’s it though. If you confirm it is the injectors, I’d be weary about sending them back. I sent mine back to justin and they came back okay, but ended up knocking again not long after.

I really think Russ’s injectors are the safest bet. My truck has been running amazing with them. Not sure about Justin’s stock injector, but just from my experience, my advice would be to ask for some money back or try the stock injector instead.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback.
I had high hopes for them, but Russ is local to me, and ive got plenty of spare injectors floating about, I may just send him a set.

Fun fact, my engine had mixed injectors. 4 standadyne ones and 4 CAV branded ones that say made in england. Interesting.

Rain has stopped for now, I'm gonna brave it out there to swap em out. Getting around all the charge air pipes, I don't look forward to it.

At least the engine is still warm.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Old injectors back in. It actually wasn't that bad to do with the pipes in the way.

Knock is gone, but still missed when revved up. Also smoke is consistent now. Was able to rev up to 2000, timing seems close to 7 degrees, but with the miss it jumps all over the place.

Edit, timing is too advanced. Finally got a clearer reading on it, adjusting, will report back.

You must be registered for see images attach

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this is going so rough for you…

IP? I have seen one do something similar… but it was worn out.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have a good spare IP, 3-4 flats up from stock, see if that works, idk.

It is apparent that the injectors were part of the problem, and if the IP is the rest of it, I’d be getting on Justin’s case a little bit… he has too good of a reputation to make dud products… but I would expect him to hold up to it.

I think I might be glad I went with Moose Diesel for this kind of stuff…

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I went with moose diesel for my in laws truck and Russ stock injectors, but their truck is still stock n/a, and it was pretty simple to dial in.

Got it to where it surges at idle, revved up to 2000 and it smooths out, but I got a clean reading finally. I'm 20 degrees advanced. Jesus.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
OK so I'm dumb, I'll admit it. I forgot to clean the paint and rust off of #1 injector. Did that, now the rpm gauge on the DTI is reading correctly.

Reset the pump back to the stock index mark, because I didnt believe I was 20 out. The throttle cable was at too much of an angle.

Now I'm back to clean ish idle, but as soon as I rev it up, heavy white smoke and starts missing, so back to square one? There is no fuel knock anymore, so there's that.

I put my fuel gauge back on, still solid at 5psi.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still think ATF might help, and if it doesn’t, it won’t hurt

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im still on IP or lifter - if I recall you didn’t do any bottom end / rings on this engine right?

And you didn’t change anything else at the same time on the fuel system from when it was working before?

I have / had 4 R&D IPs and multiple sets of injectors zero issue though but the symptoms you describe can’t be much else assuming comp is good.. atleast that comes to mind at the moment