Found my oil consumption

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I changed from Rotella to Valvoline Blue and i went from using 8-10 qts between oil changes(3k miles) to 1 quart. But i think w my pan leaking, that is the quart

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So... I'm guessing you will be pulling the motor to replace the pan gasket with rtv??? Don't try using a cork or rubber type gasket. They are sold but they don't work well. Even the factory didn't use pan gaskets. They used rtv.... Change the oil cooler o-rings while its out. You will never be able to do them at an easier time...

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
So... I'm guessing you will be pulling the motor to replace the pan gasket with rtv??? Don't try using a cork or rubber type gasket. They are sold but they don't work well. Even the factory didn't use pan gaskets. They used rtv.... Change the oil cooler o-rings while its out. You will never be able to do them at an easier time...

Hell no. The next major thing i do to this truck is pull the 6.9 in favor of the powerstroke. Just trying to nurse it along till the time and funds allow me to do the swap

Well i lie, i just put ford GPs in tonight too

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
wish i had that 6.9 your wanting to throw away i need another spare engine, personally there will be no other engine in my idi trucks besides an idi

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I'll sell it to the highest biddeLOLr. Mel showed some interest in it first though. That and the T19 and the t-case and front and rear axles

Newyork204

Reaction score
I have a mobile oil change company and I can tell you its just a coincidence. Every trucker will tell you that Rotella is the best (at least 90% of them). What you said makes no sense.

Wesley
Anchorage

fordpower21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
idk bout that on my gasser i just rebuilt it got 10000 miles on it didnt burn oil now with rotella it does and i know i built it right its the only thing it could be no oil leaks

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I have a mobile oil change company and I can tell you its just a coincidence. Every trucker will tell you that Rotella is the best (at least 90% of them). What you said makes no sense.

Wesley
Anchorage

I used to use only Rotella- I posted somewhere about my oil consumption.I got a reply from someone here I think to try delo1300 hed found he had less oil consumption then he did with Rotella.
WELL he was right my oil consumption improved by almost 1qt in 2to 3000 miles (including extended runing while sleeping etc.) I agree it don't make sense but I experienced it also.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Well then it works both ways. I switched from Rotella to Delo in My 6.9, Delo burned at a 2:1 Rate over Rotella in My 6.9. Went from 2 Quarts of Rotella every 5K Miles, to 4 quarts of Delo.

bignastystacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just switched to Rotella about 3 months ago. All was well but it is now cold here in Utah and I just started using my block heater. Now I have a nasty oil leak and I am not sure where its coming from. It looks like it could either be the block heater or maybe coming from the valve cover on the passenger side. If anyone knows of the common leak areas or any Idea where I should start I would appreciate it. I am hoping its not my rear main?????

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just switched to Rotella about 3 months ago. All was well but it is now cold here in Utah and I just started using my block heater. Now I have a nasty oil leak and I am not sure where its coming from. It looks like it could either be the block heater or maybe coming from the valve cover on the passenger side. If anyone knows of the common leak areas or any Idea where I should start I would appreciate it. I am hoping its not my rear main?????

Can you crawl under it and narrow it down a little closer? The only thing thats going to leak out of your block heater is water. and usually the valve covers wont have a "nasty" leak because there is no pressure in there.

Also, I have a T-19 and t-case for sale if anybody is intersted.

bignastystacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was under it yesterday and I wiped all the old stuff off so that tonight I could get a better idea of were its leaking from. It seems to be leaking onto my exhaust manifolds becuase its smoking a bit in the morning after it gets warmed up. Leaking head gaskets maybe??? It looks like its creeping all over the lower part of my motor so Im thinking its leaking somewhere up high. I have a lot of gunk on the pass side compared to drivers. I will be investigating tonight and Ill try to get some pictures. Any advice on items to check would be appreciated.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the block heater won't leak oil, so it's not that. Valve cover gasket is certainly a strong possibility. Depending on where your seeing it drip, rear main is likely also. Don't fret. Most of us have an oil leak of some kind. These engines sweat horsepower. LOL

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The oil sending unit is on the passengers side, very back and on top of the block. and since you have a turbo, its a PITA to service it if thats where you pick up your oil pressure from.

bignastystacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The sending unit is a pain. I replace the GPR and in doing that I managed to unplug the sending unit. I had to lay on top of the motor and snake my big ass arm in unnatural positions to get that thing plugged back in...and thanks to the turbo this was all done by feel.

I am not worried about the occasional horspower sweat but its more like a a hard work out at this point. Heres my list of items to check tonight
DIPSTICK TUBE
HEAD GASKETS
BREATHER TUBE
LOOSE ITEMS
OIL SENDING UNIT
OIL FILTER OIL COOLER LINES

feel free to add. I figure if I get a can of de-greaser and start checking things I should be able to narrow it down.

Does the motor need to be lifted a couple inches or the trans dropped on our trucks to remove the oil pan?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online