Found my oil consumption

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. Unfortunately. In-frame oil pan resealing is a bit ugly. You need to lift the motor, drop the pan, and then unbolt the oil pump assembly in order to get the pan in and out. There is no gasket. It is an RTV afair only, so use on the best stuff you can get. I used the black RTV that came in an aerosol can. That stuff was the cats butt!

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck was dripping every time I parked it overnight (and leaving a decent spot). At the suggestion of some people here, I tightened the valve cover bolts, and voila- no more drips! Yeah, it still leaks, but it doesn't leave a spot on the ground everywhere I park it, which is nice.

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've found that The Right Stuff works excellent for sealing oil pans, front covers and so on, on my old CTD's, so I would imagine it would work just as well on the IDI too.

Also, when I ran my OTR Freightliner with a Cat, we used Rotella at the terminals, and whatever we could get on the road. I had an on the road service, and got Delvac 1300 for oil. Previously, on a motor with under 200k miles, I averaged 3 gallons use per 15,000 mile oil change. With the Delvac, it only used a touch over a gallon before the next service. From then on out, I requested Delvac, and would religously add 1 gallon at around 10k miles, and the level would be about halfway down the SAFE area when it came time for a service. Several other drivers also noted similar useage.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. Unfortunately. In-frame oil pan resealing is a bit ugly. You need to lift the motor, drop the pan, and then unbolt the oil pump assembly in order to get the pan in and out. There is no gasket. It is an RTV afair only, so use on the best stuff you can get. I used the black RTV that came in an aerosol can. That stuff was the cats butt!
I can say this is true LOL. I had to do this 3,000 miles after I just put it in because I used the crappy cork gasket.