Fluid chnage in E4OD throws a code!

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I hooked up the led to TCC purple wire w/yellow tracer at the solenoid plug. I took the truck out for a drive and the TCU is now signalling the TCC to lock at between 25 and 30mph. It was previously signaling the TCC to lock between 30 and 35mph. Apart from that, the TC was now locking!:eek:No codes on a 20 mile drive with the TC locking and unlocking along with the led turning off and on:dunno I shut the truck down and went into a store for about 1/2 hour. Came back out and drove out of the parking lot and onto the street and the TCIL started flashing again:mad: Trans started shifting hard and the TC was no longer locking! I oulled the codes when I got home and I had the ususal code 62 but now a new code showed up - 56. I beleive this is TOT sensor code, but trans was fully warmed up as I had just shut the truck down. Oh, bit, more confusion.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your wire harness again.

Yeah, it was that blasted solenoid connector thst wasn't quite bottomed out. The new plug fits tight on it and it takes a bit of force to get it bottomed out on the connector. I took it out for about a 1 hour highway run tonight, and before the TCIL stated flashing, the 1-4 shifts were nice - firm but no too firm and crisp. I am really liking that. The TC locked a couple of times - you could feel it and watch the tach drop about three hundred rpm but would quickly unlock again- and then it gave up and would not even try and lock any more. The TCU is signaling lockup correctly. I will be dropping the truck back off at the shop tomorrow so he can start work on it again this next week. OldBull8's TC will hopefully get here Wednesday. I still do not believe that the TC is bad as it has locked and will try and lock every once in while. Am I thinking of this correctly then? The lockup valve in the pump could be sticking but will occasionally "work" ? OR, the teflon seal will occasional make enough of a seal for a moment or two and lock the converter but then seal allows fluid to leak releasing the pressure to keep the TC locked?

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About 8 years ago the e40d went out in the 94 I had then. Paid many $ to have it fully rebuilt and built with billet torque converter and several other upgrades. Worked well for a week then it started going into limp mode erratically. After replacing sensors and cleaning harness and all sorts of other stuff, my transmission guys said that when he gets to this point he assumes a bad instrument cluster. His theory was that solder had loosened up on the pc board giving unreliable speed and tach info to the computer. I was dubious but paid the $300 for a ford rebuilt instrument cluster. That truck is still on the road without a single tranny issue since then.
I don't know enough about the e4od to suggest that this is your problem. I think I remember that I was getting speed sensor and tach sensor codes mostly, but I thought I should put this out there since it had not been mentioned.
Your problem sounds electrical to me.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input Shadetree. That is interesting and something I had not considered. I have not been getting any codes for faulty VSS, Tach, or FIPL sensors, so I don't "think" this is my problem. This is great information to include in this thread though, as is is one more electrical gremlin to think about. I have been through my harness all the way back to the computer and have checked continuity on all wires all the way back to the computer. It sometimes seems like an electrical problem, but I think that is just from my failure to get that solenoid pack connector snapped all the way down. It is hard to see up there next to the exhaust and fits darn tight. The trans is coming out again this week so hopefully we will get to the bottom of it. Of course, I will not be able to be there when the trans comes out again, although I would certianly like to be! But, I am going to have a conversation with the trans guy when I drop the truck off with the regard to the problem more than likely being a bad lockup valve or bad seal as suggested by Trackspeeder.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
The converter is locking, so the seal is good. Most likely there is nothing wrong with the converter.
I would play with the TPS. Try resetting it. Give it a test drive, see what happens.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TC should be there Wednesday, was shipped Friday morning. Two day Priority Mail. Ha Ha Ha, never trust what the USPS says. Weighed 50 lbs.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, OldBull8! Yeah, I ain't holding my breath on the USPS but we will see. The check went in the mail Friday as well, so hopefully that gets to you on Wednesday as well. I had the FIPL adjusted to 1.2 volts but have now backed it off to 1.15 volts. I will drive it later today and see if that makes any difference. The truck has been acting kind of "doggy" on hills - doesn't want to downshift very readily and even when it does it doesn't feel like there is much there. Before the trans work, if I gave it throttle on a hill it would downshift and pull very strong.

Last edited:

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after adjusting the FIPL, I tooke the truck out for a drive. When the TCU is signaling for TC lockup (led goes out), I cannot really feel that there has been lockup, BUT, when I lightly press the brake pedal and the led goes back on, the tach rpm will seem to bump up 100-200 rpm but certianly not the 300 rpm I would expect to see if the TC was truly locked. With 3.55's, the truck was usually tunring about 1500 rpm at 55mph, and now it turning about 18-1900rpm. Also, I cannot get the small bump on the tach rpm reading every time I lightly touch the brake pedal when the TC should be locked. I am going to insist that the trans guy drive the truck around quite a bit before he opens it up again so he understand what it is and is not doing. Of course, it is still throwing Code 62 but no other codes. And if he breaks my brand new harness connectors again :backoff

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
If the RPM's are running higher the tranny should be running hot. Its possible the converter clutch regulator valve is hanging up. It might not be at full stroke.
Having the tranny guy test drive it is a must. Explain in detail, best yet go for the first ride with him and explain your problem.

As for your new connector. Just say No to the screwdriver. Make sure you tell him this. Squeeze and pull it by the hair. (wires).:D

If you want the lock up to feel more like another shift. Drill the orifice cup plug out larger. I go larger than .093, buts that's me.:sly

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Spun4Fun - I appreciate the offer. I also bought one of those and spliced it in, so "hopefully" I won't need it, unless the trans guy breaks the new connector too. If I do end up needing it I will let you know. I dropped the truck off at the shop again yesterday, and OldBull8's TC arrived today so I dropped that off at the shop too. I made it clear to the guy that he is not to tear into the truck until he has driven it and fully warmed it up and understands what it is and is not doing. After his drive, I instructed him to call me and let me know what he thinks before he starts work. I amde it clear that I do not think the TC is the problem, that I do not think the wiring is the problem (still have the lockup led wired up for him) and I think the problem is related to the teflon seal or the lockup valve. He agreed that the TC may not be the problem and is thinking more that the problem is pump related. Well, here we go again, stay tuned.......

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully the guy keeps the Screw driver away from it , My taps are broken off mine as well , I though of changing it but honestly been putting nice amount of work in this truck , I figured i don't want to mess with murphy's Law ..If it aint brook don't touch/ fix or even near it deal Cause nature always side with hidden flaw..:D

Good luck and i hope they square it this time for you , See if they can allow you to stand and look over their shoulder , truly if they don't have any thing to worry about they will invite you to watch . I lost my trust , faith to most of these garages

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's think like the TCM in fourth for a moment:

FIPL input must be above idle to lock converter
Upon lock command monitor Tach and VSS
Use Tach for input RPM
Calculate internal trans gearing to figure output RPM based on VSS
Compare Input and Output RPM, must match within 50-100 RPM or throw code 62.

At this point I'd look from the sensors toward the tcm to rule out a mechanical issue. VSS and tach signals must be good for the TCM to even figure out if there is slippage.

Sounds like you're back to a VSS vs Tach disparity in the TECA. It's commanding lockup but not seeing the anticipated change, thus giving up and throwing a code. I'm on board with verifying that the tach or VSS signals aren't getting mucked up as it passes through the dash.

Continuity from the tach is great, but a jacked up signal would be much harder to detect without an oscilloscope since the tach sensor sends AC pulses to the dash cluster.

I'd also slightly suspect an internal TECA fault (I don't remember reading that it was swapped) but would go after the sensor feeds first.

Did you ever do the pressure test I recommended back in December?

Last edited:

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you're back to a VSS vs Tach disparity in the TECA. It's commanding lockup but not seeing the anticipated change, thus giving up and throwing a code. I'm on board with verifying that the tach or VSS signals aren't getting mucked up as it passes through the dash.

Continuity from the tach is great, but a jacked up signal would be much harder to detect without an oscilloscope since the tach sensor sends AC pulses to the dash cluster.

I'd also slightly suspect an internal TECA fault (I don't remember reading that it was swapped) but would go after the sensor feeds first.

Did you ever do the pressure test I recommended back in December?

Thanks for your input, BDCarillo. The computer has not been swapped, but it does appear to be signaling lockup as it should. Could it have an internal fault - yeah, but I would have no way of testing for that other than swapping in another used computer of unkown quality or buying a remanned one. Could the connections in the dash be a problem? - yeah I suppose they could be too, and I had not even considered that until Shadetree mentioned that in post 214. The only way I can test that is if I swap in another used dash. I happen to have one sitting around so I may just do that if the thing still isn't working. The tach sensor was replaced way back when even though the old one was fine. I have seen no evidence that the VSS is a problem as the speedo has been working fine through all of this. The FIPL has been tested and reset a couple of times. The sensors and the computer "appear" to be doing what they should be doing. There have been no sensor codes, but not that there would be anyway with the relatively primitive computer. What I have learned through all of this is that there are all sorts of things that "could" be causing the problem and have checked many of them as much as my limted equipment and limted knowledge will allow. I was going to hook up an oil pressure gauge to the cooler outflow as discussed in the TransGo lockup complaints and watch for the pressure dip, but the trans guy called and said he could get the truck back in the shop before I could get that hooked up. I will update again once the trans guy lets me know what he has found (or what he has not found). Thanks again for your input.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online