Fluid chnage in E4OD throws a code!

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man you not getting a break are you huh . Well the way i see it if the guy who did it drove the truck which most likely seems like he didn't it , He would of discover it right away :dunno.

When we did mine there is convertor regulator , converter clutch valve( which no need to mess with it ) and the boost valve upgrade with ( 2 orange springs one small 1st and one big 2nd followed by boost valve ) then we drilled the hole bigger near the bushing for better oil return also there another mod we did to the body of the pump which will result in firmer lockup by enlarging the hole from .086 to .093

They only thing i could think of is the TC is no good if all the shift kit Mod checked ok

Last edited:

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I bet the tranny guy fudged up the Teflon seal. The other possibility is the clutch valve (control or regulator) is stuck. Either way you're pulling the tranny again.

If you test the output cooler line you wont need to go with a 500 PSI gauge. Output is usually around 60 ish.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet the tranny guy fudged up the Teflon seal. The other possibility is the clutch valve (control or regulator) is stuck. Either way you're pulling the tranny again.

If you test the output cooler line you wont need to go with a 500 PSI gauge. Output is usually around 60 ish.

Thanks Trackspeeder. Just to be sure, I tested the new solenoid pack and that checks out okay (I figured it would). So, now the question is: who is paying for the trans to come out and go back in? If the TC is bad, obviously I will be paying because I provided the TC. If the trans guy screwed up, it should be covered under the 90 day warranty. I will have no way of knowing if he screwed up when the trans gets pulled. He will probably say it has to be the TC because it used yada, yada, yada. He could say that regardless of what he may have done wrong and I would have no way to prove otherwise. I guess we are going to find out if he is honest or not. I don't imagine there is, but is there any way of somehow testing the TC itself for lockup? Oh, the colonoscopy on Friday will be easy compared to this.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I think the labor would be in the 90 day warranty. Depends how its written. The way I look at it. If the converter is bad then it would be on your dime. But the shop could have checked the converter before installing it If the shop cant test it. A converter rebuilder could test it for them.

Now if they fudged up a seal or valve. It should on their dime. Now what they should have done is test the tranny out before releasing it to you. This mean put it through all the functions from M1 to drive at operating temp..
They would have found the no lock up issue if they did.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I talked to the trans guy today and he told me that he ran the truck on about 20 minute test run after it was done and the TC locked, but he thought it locked a little sluggishly. He said no codes were generated during his test drive so he thought it was good to go. I told him I have no lockup whatsoever now so he stated rattling off the possibilities: solenoid pack=replaced; bad connection in wiring=continuity checked all the way back to TCU; the pump is bad=why would the pump have suddenly gone bad he said it looked new; the used TC is bad=ah there we go, that's the one I was waiting for. Of course, he will not entertain the possibility that he could have done anything wrong during the install and the problem has to be the used TC I provided to him. He says he has no way of testing it either - either it works or it doesn't. I told him one way or another the truck is coming back and the trans is coming out and the problem is going to be resolved, even it means I have to buy another converter. I have half a mind to take it to another shop and have them dig into it and see what they find. It just seems very strange that the used TC can work on his test drive and then suddenly not work. What am i missing here. I just have this bad feeling that a new converter may not solve the problem.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I don't think the converter locked at all during the test drive. The sluggish shift he felt was fourth gear I bet.

From the sounds of it he does not have the ability to test a lock up converter. Not every shop does. But by saying "either it works or it doesn't". Thats not a good sign. In this case he has a converter the does not lock, so what to do. Buy another converter. Install it and try again. What if the new converter does the same thing. tell the customer it must be a bad converter. Either they work or they don't. To me it sounds like this shop is a reman instal shop. They don't really do tranny work. Just installs and minor repairs.

I still believe they either fudged up the Teflon seal or screwed up a valve in the pump. Either way the tranny needs to be pulled again.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input, Trackspeeder. The shop is small, but all the car dealers around here take stuff to him for trans repair and rebuilding. That is how I found him orginally and also why he is so busy. He does rebuild transmissions "in house" but does not seem to be a "performance" rebuilder. He will build you anything you want with whatever parts you specify, but he cannot test a lockup converter. You have hit my concern exactly on the head: So I buy another converter and that does not solve the problem. So now the pump will need to be replaced because that "must" be the problem. If the new converter fixes it, then I am lucky and can go on with my life. If it doesn't, he keeps replacing parts until it works properly. I am going to do some calling around to other shops and see if I can find one that can test a lockup converter. So with no TC lockup, the trans builds heat pretty fast. How hot do you think this thing will get on a 70 mile open highway drive (next closest trans shop)? I have a B&M Supercooler with fan to hopefully keep the temps in check but just wondering.

Edit: I also had the guy install that knurled Superior bushing, and even printed out and gave him FORDF250HDXLT'S write up on it. I wonder if he mucked up the install of that??

Last edited:

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
If you have a temp gauge I wouldn't worry about the tranny temp to much. If its does get to hot just back off the fuel a little. With the additional cooler the temp should stay in check. I would say 180-200 degree area.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a temp gauge I wouldn't worry about the tranny temp to much. If its does get to hot just back off the fuel a little. With the additional cooler the temp should stay in check. I would say 180-200 degree area.

Yep, I have a temp. gauge so I can watch it. I did call another shop and they can get a TC tested, but they do have to send it out. I asked them to get me a cost on that and a cost to remove the trans, find out what is wrong and reinstall. Waiting to hear back from them.

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you get them to droop the transmission so they can hand it to you ,You take it somewhere else of your choice to get the work done / evaluated then hand it back to them to bolt it on the Truck . If it was me i will fight for it and wont's drive my truck with tranny not functioning 100% like that ( I always have what IF in the back of my mind ) i wont risk it ..:dunno mate

I lost my trust and faith in my guy who did my Transmission ( all they did was droop tranny /plug a front seal on the pump cookoo when i instructed him to send the Tranny for check ,2 weeks latter they had a code in their had and they were forced to droop it at their expense and more .i jumped in and scooped my Tranny from them 2 days latter i am back on the road .

Good luck

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been keeping the guy I bought the TC from posted on this and here is his response:
"hey, sorry I didn't get back to sooner. I do agree with whoever your second opinion came from (that was Trackspeeder), however to check the lockup valve u do not need to pull the trans. That is located in the valve body which can be pulled in about 15 minutes after draining the trans oil. Either that seal or a sticking valve is very possible - obviously the seal since somebody was just there, and if the unit was sitting the valve sticking can certainly be the culprit. I lean towards the seal, but all things considered (labor) I would start w checking the valve body. If the torque converter would shutter when overdrive is commanded then I would point the finger at the tc. Have u confirmed electronically that the computer is telling the transmission to lock the tc? Rpm and speedo problems will directly affect this as well.
Hope this helps.
Chris"
Now this doesn't sound like a guy who would sell a TC knowing it was no good, and that is why I bought it from him the first place. What do you all think about his suggestion to pull the valve body? It is to the point where I really just need to get the thing back on road, so I am going to buy OldBull8's TC and at least have that ready to go if needed. If it turns out the TC is fine, I can always sell the other TC, and OldBull8 has even offered to buy it back if need be and I just pay to ship it back to him. I did not hear back yet from the other shop, but maybe I will near back from them tomorrow.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
The converter clutch lock valve is in the pump. The control valve is in the solenoid pack. This is how the TCM controls lock up. He might be confusing fourth gear with lock up. Because that is in the accumulator body (valve body).

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The converter clutch lock valve is in the pump. The control valve is in the solenoid pack. This is how the TCM controls lock up. He might be confusing fourth gear with lock up. Because that is in the accumulator body (valve body).

Well, that was my understanding as well, although my understanding is pretty limited - but it is expanding everyday whether I want it or not! OldBull8 is shipping out the TC tomorrow, so I will have a backup on hand just in case when the trans comes out.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Your next lesson will be on rebuilding a tranny. You have learned the easy part.LOL

Take a good look at the Teflon seal before going too crazy. If its damaged or installed incorrect, you have found your problem. This seal is easily damaged if the installer is aggressive when seating the converter.:eek:

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rebuilding your own Tranny is super fun and self satisfactory IMO . If you end up doing it take you time as mentioned above . I found the most difficult part is the orientation of the component it self and having the right tool

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online