Fluid chnage in E4OD throws a code!

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fluid change in E4OD throws a code!

Today I changed the trans fluid on my E4OD. I followed the procedure in the write up in the tech articles. I drained the fluid (I have a deep pan that holds two extra quarts and has a drain plug). Then I disconnected the cooler return line at the rear of the trans and attached a clear plastic hose and ran that into a bucket. I then added 9 quarts of MAX ATF to the trans and started the truck up and let it idle. While at idle, I also ran the shift lever through each gear stopping for about 5 seconds at each one. I watched the fluid going into the bucket until the flow essentially stopped (about 2 gallons old fluid in the bucket now) and shut off the truck. I then added another 6 quarts of MAX ATF and reconnected the return line to the trans. Started the truck again and while idling I moved the shifter through each gear pausing about 5 seconds at each. It was at this point that the OD OFF light on the end of the shifter started to flash:eek: I then shut the truck off and added another 6 quarts of MAX ATF. Took the truck for a test drive and it shifted fine, but the OD OFF light is still flashing. After the drive, I checked the fluid level while idling in park and the level is right where it should be. All in all, a successful bit of maintenance completed except for that flashing light! Anybody else have this happen to 'em? Should I be worried?

Last edited:

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Trackspeeder.! The trans seems to be shifting fine so I will clear it and see what happens. If it comes back, I will see if I can get somebody to read the code and I will update.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update - well, the OD OFF light stopped flashing after a couple of days and I thought "great", now I won't have to disconnect the grounds. But, on the way home last night, it started flashing again. Can anybody recommend a decent code reader at reasonable cost (I know - that statement is contradictory)? Now I am wondering what is going on and want to pull the codes. Thanks!

sassyrel

Reaction score
go to oreillys, advance auto, autozone, they normally will do it for free.......

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3145-Ford-Digital-Reader/dp/B000EW0KHW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1416579119&sr=8-2&keywords=obd+1+scanner

^^ That's the unit I have. Works for all OBD-1 Fords, EEC and E4OD ECUs.

By chance, did your truck come with a big slide out tool drawer in the bed?

Thanks for that link. That reader seems to have a lot of good reviews and is reasonably priced.

Nope - no drawer in the bed - I would have liked that. Maybe somebody took it out before I got the truck? The Air Force used the truck to haul stuff around the base (which one I don't know) between the various buildings. I like to think it was used to push B-52's into the maintenance bay LOL.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that link. That reader seems to have a lot of good reviews and is reasonably priced.

Nope - no drawer in the bed - I would have liked that. Maybe somebody took it out before I got the truck? The Air Force used the truck to haul stuff around the base (which one I don't know) between the various buildings. I like to think it was used to push B-52's into the maintenance bay LOL.

I used to have one of those at my surveying shop in Davis-Monthan. It was a good truck, replaced with a 2008 FX4. We don't use them to push planes or bombs around, that's reserved for F-250 bobtails and specialty tugs.

I did learn that F-18 jet blast will lower manual windows, kill hvac fans, knock mirrors loose, and make the truck smell like JP8 for a week.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
grab a scanner (cus they are handy to have) but for today,run out and just grab the codes old school:
http://www.troublecodes.net/ford/

and let us know what's going on.
since your not used to pulling codes (the scan tool has a hold function which helps) you want to turn the key to run.leave engine off.but have your throttle held open before someone turns the key on for ya (since you'll have no hold on the volt meter lol) then count the "sweeps" taking notice of the spaces and write down the code.
do not let off the throttle.well i guess since you need help,have the person in the cab just hold the pedal to the floor for ya too so you don't even need to hold it out there.
(you'll get false code 23 - fipl/tps if you don't hold WOT.trying to counts sweeps on the meter for true codes is enough chore.you don't need false ones lol.)
good luck.

Last edited:

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that link FORDF250HDXLT. I was thinking I would just run into town later today and get that Innova scanner at O'Reilly's. I need one anyhow and they have it in stock at a bit higher cost than Amazon, but then no shipping either. Got the day off to get ready for the opening of gun deer season tomorrow, so I may have some time to do that this afternoon. I appreciate the offer to help "diagnose" and I will report back!

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cool beans.that's good.all E40D owners should have a scanner in their tool box.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I bought the code reader and hooked it up. I initially got the false code 23 but re-read FORDF250HDXLT's instructions about holding down the throttle. Rigged up a wood dowel to hold the pedal to the floor so I could read the codes. The reader showed it was receiving codes, but I first got a "10" and then an "11" which I understand are not actual trouble codes. I will try again tomorrow and have my wife hold the pedal down - that is I am not butchering a big buck:sly. Thanks for all the help and I will report back yet again.