extra cooling?

rockcrawler_101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was towing for the first time with my 86 f350 with a 6.9 and banks turbo. I was going over a good hill and had it pinned and the truck started to get warm right to the top of the ok zone on the gauge. I was wondering what others have done to help with cooling. The trans stayed nice and cool sense it has three coolers on it. I have a older brass radiator in it right now. But i have a extra newer aluminum radiator just sitting around from my part truck. I know brass cools better but the newer one might be in better shape or better design. Is it worth swapping them because i have a big trip coming up soon that will being going up into the mountains. I was thinking about adding a electric fan to help but i would have to put it in front of the mechanical fan sense there isnt much room in the front because of all the coolers and ac. Would this help or hurt me? thanks for any info. The clutch fan seems to be good and newer on the truck.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if the entire "ok" zone on the gauge wasn't "ok" enough,then it wouldn't be the "ok" zone but the "red" zone.:D
first stop; real temp gauge.if she's @ or below 240F.......run 'er.

rockcrawler_101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol yeah i understand that. I was at the top of the hill when it hit the top of the zone so i couldn't see what would happen if i had to keep going. Im going to be pulling some longer hills soon so i was wanting some extra insurance to make my rubicon trip go smootly

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Second hit the stickies and tech section.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fill in the trucks stats in tour sig line' helps us know whats you have.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Actually aluminum cools much better than copper and brass. What aluminum radiator do you have ready to install?

rockcrawler_101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was one out of my parts truck. Think it's pretty new. Not sure if brand. Plastic top and bottom so most likely a auto zone toe radiator.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1) Put a real temp gauge on it

2) Electric fan woln't do jack. Some aftermarket fan clutches don't fully engage until quite hot, may just be this. Unfortunately hard to tell. I hate viscous fan clutches for exactly this reason. I have an electric clutch on mine and love it, but it's not an easy or cheap swap.

I would not use a plastic tank radiator even if it is new unless it's an emergency - the good ones are aluminum tank. Every plastic tank I've ever seen eventually rots out and cracks.

rockcrawler_101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I swapped radiators. When draining the old one i noticed a lot of corrosion blocking up the system. I also will be putting in a new sensor so I can tell what the real temp is. Also put new hoses on sense i was there. Just need this one to lay a couple years before i swap out the motor to something more powerful. Need to be able to tow 18k easily and the 6.9 will never do that.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Adding an electric fan as a supplement to the mechanical woln't really do anything if your mechanical fan is working properly. If there's an overheating problem because the fan clutch is kaput, a small fan on the front is not going to be enough to take it's place, and if it's working correctly then the small amount contributed by the electric fan isn't going to make a difference. Only place it may help is airflow for the AC condenser when going slowly for long periods of time without the mechanical fan on, ie stop and go traffic.

Point was that it's not worth the effort for the op's problem.

Yes, some folks have removed the mechanical fan and gone full electric. IMHO this may work okay when not pulling heavy or in a cool climate, but a properly working stock fan will work better when cooling is really critical. Opinions vary though....

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Need to be able to tow 18k easily and the 6.9 will never do that.

nor will any ford pickup of the pre '99 pickup era either.towing 18k + with a 7k truck is getting up into f450/f550 territory.there you get the medium duty truck w/ gearing required and a cummins. that is if you get into the f600-f650/f750 truck.;Really

Yes, some folks have removed the mechanical fan and gone full electric. IMHO this may work okay when not pulling heavy or in a cool climate, but a properly working stock fan will work better when cooling is really critical. Opinions vary though....

personally experiences may vary too.;) :D

rockcrawler_101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah that's why i will be swapping the rear axle (mainly for disk brakes) and engine to be able to tow that much. Will also be upgrading my brake setup. But the reality is the trailer should be able to stop its self and the truck stop its self.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Up until the trailer brakes fail unexpectedly..... Yes, it happens. Not long ago several people (can't recall for sure, think it was a family of 4) were killed when someone was hauling ~20-25k behind a pickup and had his trailer brakes fail going downhill. S*** happens - do you want to be the guy that has that one his conscience?

Truck axle and engine upgrades do very little for stopping or control. The frame, springs, steering, hitch, etc etc are all part of the package and all designed for a much lower load.

You need a bigger truck. Period.

Sure there's plenty of folks towing that heavy.... doesn't mean it's the smart of right thing to be doing. Very very easy for something to happen and that rig to get away from you. If you're lucky it's just physical damage... if not it's other people's lives. Oh by the way as soon as the lawyer see the factory spec on that truck and what you were towing they'll be all over you for liability and possibly criminal prosecution.

Can you do? Most likely yes. Can you do it without ever having a problem? Maybe. Is the risk worth it? Up to you, but you ought to think really seriously on what you're trying to do and what you can do safely and what the risks are if things go south.

If nothing else try driving a load like that, turn the trailer brakes off and see how well you can stop. Those trailer brakes will fail at the most inopportune time - what then?

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't say enough about getting a mechanical coolant temp gauge. They are easy to install and inexpensive.