extra cooling?

rockcrawler_101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol i knew that would ruffle some feathers. So your saying regular truck brakes never fail? anything can happen. Legally you can tow that with your f350. it goes off your tire rating. (i went and talked to the CHP in person to confirm this with my truck) I have towed that much weight with my old 2014 ram diesel which stated it could tow that much (and it wasnt even a duelly). Whats was the difference between my f350 and that truck? not much. little better brakes and an exhaust brake (which i will be adding because those are the best things in the world) Would i feel safe towing that much in my crew cab right now? not really. but i didnt feel safe towing in my excursion when well below the max tow limit. I will be changing pretty much everything on the truck. Air bags front and rear, discs all around, cummins or dt360 with twin turbos and manual trans and exhuast brake. hydroboost brakes and many many more fun things.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Legally you can tow that with your f350.

to be clear; you plan on grossing a combined weight of 18k or towing 18k like you posted? that's a big difference in weight.your planning on grossing a combined weight rating of around 24-26k if we're understanding-reading exactly what you wrote.
since your thinking you can "tow that much legally with your f350" now im thinking your talking 18k combined because i don't even think the f-super duty (87-97 f450) w/ 5.13 has a gross combined rating of 24-26k - least not of the idi era.i think the 94-97's are rated right up around here which means that would be fairly safe with the idi too of course but since most (if not all?) idi f-supers were n/a.she'd be safe,just slow.:D

please reconsider trying to use a pickup like an f450.very,very bad idea.
(im one to talk though,i know chip truck should be an f-super duty too just due to the loads o put on it's back.already cracked the frame- fixed very,very good and proper though!....still not right thing to do.gotta make the upgrade someday.....damn the 4wd issue.)

rockcrawler_101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
plan on towin 18k. It is legal to do it. but you do have to change the dmv paperwork to be able to tow that much. also need a class A to tow anything over 10k. But yes i know how much it weighs sense i have towed it before with my old ram. With the exhaust brake you almost never use the brakes even in the mountains.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Lol so because your Dodge towed it, you think your idi can? Lol
The 2500 of that year is actually rated higher than the 3500. 2500 says 17,800 lbs.
Nearly 3 times the power of the idi, stronger transmission, stock 4 wheel disc brakes with abs, better cooling system, etc, etc, etc.......

Get a truck made for the job, not half-assing stuff together and praying something doesn't go wrong.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

rockcrawler_101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never said i was going to with the idi. Its to weak. I'm going to be changing pretty much everything on the truck. Motor, Trans, rear axle, brakes, and suspension. But i have already said that. The gvr of the f350 is higher them my ram but the combined is lower. But that really doesn't matter. As long as you don't out to much tong weight and load the trailer properly it won't stress the frame of the truck. That will be pretty much all that's going to be stock on it when I'm done. That's the reason i got this trick over my team. I can build it how i want not what ram says.

Last edited:

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So why not just get a truck that's already built that way? Or at least start with a heavier rig. An F-450 (F-Superduty) would work well, and already have 4 wheel disc brakes and a heavy duty rear axle.

CHP may go off axle and tire ratings, but if you ever get in a wreck I bet the lawyers are going to look up the actual official tow rating. You think that in this day and age, especially in CA they're got going to go after an obvious opening like that? I wouldn't be surprised if your insurance company hangs you out to dry too - intentionally overloading the truck probably voids the policy. Good potential for criminal charges too if you kill someone - negligence at the very least.

Factory tow rating are much inflated too I feel - there's not that much real difference between my 85 and a 2015 truck... yet the tow rating is something like 3 times greater. Sure, more power, but power doesn't help you drive safe or control the trailer, in fact makes it worse, not better. Physics is still the same... yet essentially the same 6000lb of truck can no theoretically control 3 times the trailer? Don't think so.

When's the last time you saw truck brakes fail? I never have. I have had trailer brakes not work numerous times. Any truck newer than about 1970 has a split braking system too so it's fail safe - if one part fail you still have 50% or better of the stopping power and you have a nice big brake warning light to tell you. Trailer brakes are not fail safe and there's only one wire that has to fail or have a bad connection or..... moreover, you may not even know it's failed until you need it.

I will say it again - a safe and smart driver will *not* rely solely on electric trailer brakes for control.

I think you will find that a larger truck will be much more comfortable and pleasant to use for towing that weight too. I have pulled 13-14k behind my pickup several times and recently hauled a similar load behind my class 7 box truck - the difference was amazing. With the pickup it's always stressful not because the rig tows that badly but just because I know how easily things can go wrong with that much weight. With the box truck you couldn't even tell the trailer was there.

Incidentally the id can tow some pretty heavy loads quite decently, at least the setup I have can - I can hold at least 35-40 mph going up 5-6% grades towing 14k. I'd expect 30 mph or so on the steepest parts with 18k, which IMHO isn't bad for that much weight.

rockcrawler_101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The f450 is not any different then what i will be building. (Other then the frame being heavier) The gvcw is a recommended number. You are right that newer trucks just keep bumping there numbers up to beat each other. There is no real standard any of these trucks are heald to. Im not going with the 450 because i would be only getting a frame out of the deal and nothing else. Would have to change everything else to make it a crew cab 4x4. I drive a f450 all the time at work. Not impressed by them. As for weight of the trailer out weighing the truck just look at big rigs. They are out weighed big time by there loads. I find that the longer the truck to more stable it tows. Brakes are also big and that's why i will be upgrading them before i use the truck to tow that much. Most f450 use the sane front brakes with just different adaptors to make them 10 lug. (At least that's how our newer ford's are.) A 1990 f450 disk brake rotor is 327mm diameter and a 1986 f350 is 319mm so pretty damm close.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
No hard feelings bud, you were comparing to the idi truck.
Do you know what happens when a semi has a air leak? They have some fail safes.
Also, it's still common to have a runaway truck.
While in some instances you can license/tag for higher weight, the factory ratings are more than a recommendation. It's a legal system by law. As already stated, in a accident with serious injury, you will be put at fault.
I would go bigger than a f450. Doesn't matter if you swap the engine, you'll have trouble tagging it.
By the time you do all these "upgrades," you could buy a medium Duty truck with money left over.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really...just get a med duty rig and be happier for it.

The rating the truck comes with from the factory is the actual legal limit regardless of tyres etc.

You can insure for greater but in an accident if you are over factory CGVW then you can bet yer last penny the ins will do everything to not pay and force u into the poor house

Plain and simple.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Being in Cali a bigger truck isn't an option soon.. @towcat can explain that one.
You must be registered for see images attach

I had 12-13k behind me last week. In pa mountains. 9 and 11% grades. No problems stopping it. Did struggle up them, was down to 2nd gear a few times but mainly to keep egt down. Crappy injectors sucks

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being in Cali a bigger truck isn't an option soon.. @towcat can explain that one.

I had 12-13k behind me last week. In pa mountains. 9 and 11% grades. No problems stopping it. Did struggle up them, was down to 2nd gear a few times but mainly to keep egt down. Crappy injectors sucks
Corey-
yes and no. as of right now, nothing is being enforced due to Gov. Brown defunding all the departments involved with enforcement associated with CARB. BUT, they still do exist through other funding means. But there's no guarantees the next incoming Governor won't restore funding for enforcement. As of right now, when you click on the linky at the bottom of my signature line, you can read up all about it and draw your own conclusions. i'll write more later on today when I wake for the day!

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As for weight of the trailer out weighing the truck just look at big rigs. They are out weighed big time by there loads.

Yes and no. A typical 18 wheeler at 80k has 46k on the truck and 34k on the trailer axles, so the truck still has the majority of the weight. Pulling doubles is a bit different true; 32k on the truck & 48k on the trailer. Still comparatrively much more weight on the truck than your rig with 10k on the truck and ~16k on the trailer axles.

Semi also runs air brakes which are fail safe and quite a bit more reliable than electric. I would also bet that the brake surface area and pressure on the semi brakes (truck and trailer) is probably at least twice that of the pickup/trailer - ie the semi has much stronger more reliable brakes.

You do have a point about CA diesel issues, had forgotten that. Still, I would say you're better off swapping the cab to a f450 frame/drivetrain than trying to cobble it all into your rig. The frame is important. You'll have liability and legal issues either way.

Now that I think about it more I realize that 18k really isn't all that excessive, but still better to get the right truck if you're doing more than a once a year 10 mile trip.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what IS your pirate handle anyway?

The grades on 50 won't bother a properly running idi !

Weight ratings( claimed) are a huge misnomer( cdl here) in that they are bragging rights for the maker....not a solid real world deal.
I've heard recalls of f 350's moving loaded 18 wheelers( you judge for yourself) safe or not.
Hell a toyota towed the space shuttle thru L A right?

Last edited:

rockcrawler_101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same name on pirates 4x4. I only hall the 18k when going to the Rubicon with both my jeeps. I have the 48 willys pickup on 43 sx with a ford 408. As for all the air brakes talk, i know all about them sense i am a heavy diesel mechanic and work on them all the time. They are great things

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I just pulled out my 4 electric fan setup because of coolant Temps getting to 220f with ac on. Installed a good clutch fan thst locks around 200f and I've not seen my truck ever go over 200f since then.

I would only go with an all aluminum radiator. The plastic side tanks are hit an miss. I've seen them fail on many vehicles.

1/32" of scale on a metal surface can reduce heat transfer by 30%. So if you see anything but metal on those cores your radiator is not as efficient as it should be.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.