exhaust swap

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am due for new exhaust this month and want to step it up from the ole 2.5" on my 7.3 NA

Is 3" big enough, and if so is there a later model tail pipe that will work and is 3" or bigger?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
3" is better, but I would look into 3.5" personally. Hypermax sells a good 3.5" exhaust it would work pretty good, and there is another company that sells a good 3" y-pipe as well, dont remember who though.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can buy the Y pipe from napa i believe. or you can buy the whole kit with a 4 inch tail pipe and 4 inch muffler. looks like a nice system, a guy put one on his and was suppose to take sound clips but never has.

MARQ2277

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just added 4" on to my 4" down pipe, and ended it between my cab and bed, with no **** on my stuff; If sounds so damn cool, and it makes my turbo sound like a turbine jet on the runway, . . . it's a head turner!!

Marq
Stage One Injectors (Oregon Injector Service):
Complete Return Fuel Kit (Oregon Injector Service):
DB2 Pump, cranked up with Cold Advance wired permanently on:
4” down pipe, 4” straight through exhaust stopping between cab and bed (no **** on my stuff):
Torque Converter Lock Up Switch (On/Off/Lock-Up):
E4OD Line Pressure Controller (adjusted to fast/firm shifts):
4” lift w/Rancho shocks:
Big Fat Tires on custom rims:

Tows 1985 fully loaded heavy 28 foot RV (my house) everywhere:

tractorman86

Reaction score
asuming you are talking about the truck in your avatar: 3" is plenty if that is what you have avalible. bigger is better but n/a it won't make that much of a diff. the y pipe is where you will get the biggest gain. and your tail pipe should already be 3.5 if it was an original diesel truck

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this truck was always a 7.3, but it has the same 2.5" exhaust as a 302 or 351. My wife works for a parts house, so I was hoping to put something together from parts. I can do that for <$100 where the aftermarket kits were around $400, but then that included the 3"Y pipe and 4" tail

So should the factory tailpipe really be 3.5" om this truck?? They have the tilpipe in stock for $22 ($10 my price), but I told them I wanted something bigger.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
you could find a psd exhaust system they are 3.5 thats what i had on my truck when it was n/a and it did really good for me it made it soud like a big block

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
my '94 turbo'd IDI came factory with 2.5" from manifold to tailpipe according to ford canada. When i redo my engine it will 3.5" dual exhaust with a turbo running off each side and an X-pipe after the turbo's running to 7" stacks with built in mufflers.

Last edited:

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
A 3" system will work just fine. As others have said that's about the biggest and best gains. I've got a 4" system right now with no muffler on my 90 and it is waaaay too loud even for me.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A 3" system will work just fine. As others have said that's about the biggest and best gains. I've got a 4" system right now with no muffler on my 90 and it is waaaay too loud even for me.
note to others, if you are running a turbo, it's not loud enough to get a noise ticket if you drive conservatively. if you don't have a turbo and are running straight piped, you are begging for a noise ticket if not some very pissed off neighbors.

MARQ2277

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, so very true. I would not have did mine if it wasn't for a turbo. And then when I am driving late at night through my RV park, I try to be very respectful, and wait till I hit the on ramp to GET IT ON!!!!!!!!!!!

Marq
Stage One Injectors (Oregon Injector Service):
Complete Return Fuel Kit (Oregon Injector Service):
DB2 Pump, cranked up with Cold Advance wired permanently on:
4” down pipe, 4” straight through exhaust stopping between cab and bed (no **** on my stuff):
Torque Converter Lock Up Switch (On/Off/Lock-Up):
E4OD Line Pressure Controller (adjusted to fast/firm shifts):
4” lift w/Rancho shocks:
Big Fat Tires on custom rims:

Tows 1985 fully loaded heavy 28 foot RV (my house) everywhere:

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
note to others, if you are running a turbo, it's not loud enough to get a noise ticket if you drive conservatively. if you don't have a turbo and are running straight piped, you are begging for a noise ticket if not some very pissed off neighbors.

Yup, rolling loaded thru Sommerset, to the rally, I think my comment to Darrin was something along the line of "I'm pretty sure I'll get a noise ticket this week."
Got lucky and made it the whole week without getting nabbed but it was too much rolling up the hills between the rock faces on the turnpike.:puke: