Engine dies for 10 seconds then comes back

aztrooper

Reaction score
Hi all, I am new to this forum and Dodges so here is my problem. I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 3500 dually 5.9 Cummins with 6 speed manual trans. It has 205000 miles and has been a great truck. Got it with 110000 miles on it. I use it to haul brand new 5th wheel travel trailers from the factories to dealers around the country. I do regular oil and fuel filter changes. Lately, it has just stopped running for about 10 seconds and then starting again. It is random and doesn't matter if under load or not. It acts like it runs out of fuel and then 10 seconds later, sputters back to life again. It has done it both loaded with a trailer and not loaded. It always starts easily in the morning and doesn't blow black smoke when this happens or at any time. The check engine light does not come on (if there is one), in fact no lights come on. OH, everything is stock on it, no chips etc. Any help? Bob

Whit

Reaction score
take it to yer local auto parts store and have them scan for codes then get back to us

OR second best effort do the 3 key code retrieval

key on but dont start
key off
key on
key off
key on...........read codes that pop up in the odometer window wrote em down and report back

;Sweet

aztrooper

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up on getting the codes using the ignition key. I did that and it came up P-0483 which turns out to be something with the fan. I took it to a transmission shop today for follow-up on their rebuild of my transmission and they said most likely the ignition switch since there are no lights when it happens. What do you think? Bob

Whit

Reaction score
P0483 Cooling Fan Rationality Check Malfunction

could very well be inn the key switch if yer lights are going out too

dwillowguy

Reaction score
Possibly a lift pump problem...my 03 did the same thing, dealer put the pump in the tank to fix that problem.

aztrooper

Reaction score
Well, the engine quite on my way home but luckily I was only about 60 miles from home and not in California with a trailer to deliver. I connected my aux fuel tank pump into the main line by cutting the tube and got home. I'm glad that the lift pump is a flow through design but don't know if it would let enough volume go through with a load. Anyway, I went to out local Cummins truck repair store and they found a source for a replacement pump that was the same design as the stock one on the side of the filter housing. $302 later, I was running again. Now I have sold it and am out of the trailer hauling business. After spending $3400+ on having the standard 6 speed manual transmission rebuilt, lift pump, clutch/pressureplate/throwout bearing (twice as the new one went bad in one month) and other things, I'm tired of it. It had 240,000 miles on it. I orginally got the one with a manual transmission because I heard of all the problems with the automatic and thought the manual would be bullet proof. Oh well, live and learn. Thanks for all the suggestions. Bob

dwillowguy

Reaction score
I own 2 Dodge 2500's an 94 5 speed and an 03 6 speed. The 94 has 570 K, the 03 has 210 K. Both trucks had the front axle u-joints go at 160 K, replaced with jobber greaseable joints along with upper and lower ball joints also greaseable. The 94 had the clutch fail at 225 K because of the pilot bushing both front and rear u-joints were also replaced as well, front seal starting to leak @ 325 K, the rear @ 425 K, valve cover gaskets were also replaced. She is on her third set of brakes and 5th set of tires other then that oil and filter are changed @ 10 K with 15-40 year round ( live in Alberta, Canada and temp gets down to -40 C ) Both trucks had problem with wires burning in the steering column. The 03 is piped with 4 inch exhaust to the back, AFT air intake and filter and had the Bully Dog chip for a while but is now running the Attitude with Juice now.On the Drive setting she's getting 21-23 mpg and tons of power. I have owned a Ford dually diesel before these trucks and would never by a Ford again. All in all Dodge Cummins is the way to go.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online