Check engine light at start up only. Stays on for a few extra seconds sometimes.

Wrenchmonkey316

Reaction score
I have a 1988 f250 7.3 idi. The dash engine light comes on at start and takes a few seconds to shut off. Sometimes it even takes an extra 20-30 seconds or so to shut off. Any thoughts? All your input will be appreciated.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That light gets its signal from an oil pressure switch. Has to be above ~8psi I think, which is quite low but the sensor is on the top of the engine. Best thing would be to get a real gauge on it to see what the pressure is actually doing. I have mine in the oil galley port on the driver's side. There are 4 ports but only 2 are accessible on a stock engine IIRC.
Could also be old oil/bad oil/low oil or perhaps someone got happy with the Lucas additive.

Wrenchmonkey316

Reaction score
Ok yeah thanks, I’ll try that first. A few new aftermarket gauges and an oil change are definitely on the list. I really haven’t driven it more than a couple hundred miles so far since I bought it a few weeks ago. Drove it to the market a few times and took it to get some side boxes and to get it a little bit of a lift installed and that’s about it.

Attachments

• BDAB67C1-A87A-4499-AAA6-5C0D43B0BD2C.jpeg
    BDAB67C1-A87A-4499-AAA6-5C0D43B0BD2C.jpeg
    384.2 KB · Views: 11

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice pickup!!!

And thanks @The_Josh_Bear , I have always thought the check engine light on older cars were always emission’s related and of no real value. Boy am I WRONG :dunno

And I realize there’s no emissions on an IDI. I’m just thinking about all my OBD1 vehicles.

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The oil pressure switch can be swapped with an oil pressure sensor from an earlier Ford V8 - about $20. There's a resistor behind the instrument cluster that needs to be jumpered.

Wrenchmonkey316

Reaction score
The oil pressure switch can be swapped with an oil pressure sensor from an earlier Ford V8 - about $20. There's a resistor behind the instrument cluster that needs to be jumpered.
How hard a job is that? Is it possible to access without removing much dash stuff?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Cluster is easy to take out, remove the trim around the headlight switch, remove the trim on the right side of the column, remove trim around the cluster, then unbolt it.
Hardest part is getting the speedo cable disconnected from the cluster.

Wrenchmonkey316

Reaction score
Oil change seems to have stopped the engine light from delaying to shut off. It shuts off immediately now. The oil pressure gauge is better but still lazy and drifting so I’m going to need to get that done.

Wrenchmonkey316

Reaction score
Cluster is easy to take out, remove the trim around the headlight switch, remove the trim on the right side of the column, remove trim around the cluster, then unbolt it.
Hardest part is getting the speedo cable disconnected from the cluster.
Thank you. That’s great news. I remember having to do some similar stuff on a bull nose and it wasn’t so easy.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Most don't seem to be very moderately priced these days unless they're made in China. I try to use Auto Meter or Auto Gage if I can. Auto Gage is made by Auto Meter and are usually priced less.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online