Engine bay and undercarriage cleaning!

94F350Fred

Reaction score
I just got back from the local auto parts store where I had planned on buying a good degreaser to clean the engine bay and the undercarriage on my 94 diesel F350. I had done an engine bay cleaning on my 94 gas F150 with no issues but I was warned that I was making a big mistake in cleaning my F350.

I can’t see what could go wrong in cleaning the engine bay and undercarriage, assuming I cover major electrical component. I still want to have this done but I thought I check for advice with you all before I do this.

With or against this… any heads up is appreciated. Thanks…

I found this after searching the threads http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=42464&highlight=engine+cleaning and it is a great discussion but there is no mention to covering any electrical parts! Do I need to even bother covering the electrical parts.

Last edited:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You don't have a distributor so no ignition worries. The only big problem on these things is if your grommet where the CDR or turbo drain goes into the valley pan is old and dried up, then you run a risk of water and cleaner getting down into the crankcase, but if you either
a) do it right before an oil change, no worries, any water etc will come out with the drain oil, or
b) take some grease, vaseline, or a little more permanant soloution RTV and smear it around that grommet to seal it off, then clean away.

I've always found shooting them down with full strength simple green and letting them sit a while, don't let it dry on, mist it with water a few times to extend the soak time, then hit it with high pressure hose and it'll come out nice and clean ;Sweet

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure you have a good sealing grommet on your air cleaner lid too. I was amazed at the amount of water that ends up on the top of my air cleaner lid during the wet months out here in the Northwest.

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep Purple Power in stock for all dirty projects. It's really quick acting and cheaper than Castrol SuperClean. Don't let it dry and powerwash it and it will look new again.

One thing worth mentioning is DON'T WASH A HOT ENGINE. You'll risk siezing up the Injection Pump.