Electric Lift Pump (Holley?) correct part?

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know there are lots of posts on here, and I have been digging just to get to where I am at now. But I am out of time to search tonight and only have tomorrow to try to get my truck started post-rebuild. Might not have time again for two weeks. I am convinced from efforts today that either due to installer error (me) or just because it's weak, my mechanical lift pump isn't doing the job. Cannot get my truck to even start to prime. If the mechanical pump comes off again, electric goes on. Tried to get a Facet today, can't get it in time. One local store has the Holley Red 12-801-1 pump for a price I can swallow. I want to put this pump on my passenger fender much the same as the write-up for the Facet pump explains.

Is this the right pump, can I mount it this way (it doesn't have to be down on the frame does it??), and does anyone have any tips? I need this truck to run tomorrow.

Thanks guys
Matt

Edit: The specs I have found for this pump are 7psi 98gph. I know guys on here have run them, because that's how I found the part number. It seemed many were mounted on the frame though, and to me that gph seems high. It is always possible things have changed, need the warm and fuzzy from yall before I spend more money I don't really have.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holley pumps are designed as pusher pumps.
You can use it as spiller on a temp basis but it will burn it up
Use a regulator! It can produce more PSI than you want.
Good luck!

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holley pumps are designed as pusher pumps.
You can use it as spiller on a temp basis but it will burn it up
Use a regulator! It can produce more PSI than you want.
Good luck!

So mount it on the frame? I have the gm style water separator from Napa with a filter. Mount before or after this to permanently eliminate my mechanical pump? Want it to last at least a couple years.

Wires just get a little longer, I can handle that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
then yes, mount it as close to the tank as you can.
i mounted my regulator right to the pump, it makes adjusting it a bit harder, but once its set, you dont have to worry about it.
i also install a 1-15 psi gauge everytime i use this set up.
takes the guessing work out of it.
you may have to get some of those special barb'd fittings to convert your nylon line to rubber.

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn I was hoping no regulator necessary for this setup

Last edited:

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Push through the water separator, so as close to the FSV or tank as possible.

Note to others: stock filter will not adequately reduce pressure with a Holley Blue pump

Edit: had red/blue pressure mixed up

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Many of us used the Holley Red electric pumps with no regulators. They make the correct pressure. Sadly they are not made like they used to be made. Now they are made in mexico and quality has slipped. My first holley red went probably 200,000 miles. The red replacement went about 12,000 miles. I now run the Carrier and its built proof. The holley blue pumps require a regulator.

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well at least no regulator required. I'll see how long it lasts. Still cheaper than burning up a starter, and it's all I can get for now. I'll try to put it on the frame wherever I find easiest haha

Thanks to all so far. Went and bought the only one in my area.

Last edited:

Sir AxleRod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol, somewhere in this 13 pages, are a part number of what I used....

That's the Centurion I got back, and I think it's still running off the tank of diesel I put in it, 11-30-2011.....

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...iary-of-my-journey-to-the-darkside&highlight=

Went through all 13 pages, no part number.

This:
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...=Search_N0515_5017449_4361&pt=N0515&ppt=C0025

Has worked for 4+ years in mine, mounted to the frame, right in front of the tank, decent deal. Key the truck, depress the Schraeder, smoke a cigarette and wait for the stream. Stream shows, fire truck.

Last edited:

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, after all that something came up and I can't work on the truck today :mad:

Thanks guys. I will be returning the Holley and ordering the Facet pump from Napa. By the time I get this truck running I may not even still need it... but hey I'm sure I'll find more work for her

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score

kcwright1979

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought one thats off of a 1995 H1 Hummer its a idi Diesel fuel pump that produces 40 GPH and 7 psi with 9 max. Gotta watch the psi cause it will advance your IP if your not careful it cost me around 60.00 and change.