e4od swap

pete350

pete
Reaction score
just woundering if anyone out there has swapped a e4od tranny with one from another year. I m having troubles with the one in my 92 f-350 with a 460ci . I just aquired one out of a 96 f-250 with a 460ci. will this be a simple swap, or do i have to change anything? they are both out of 4x4's...anyone know?
thanks pete.

in case anyone is really good with e4od's maybe they could be of more assistance. the one out of my 92 was working just great, we drove around all day then stopped at a store. when we came out we started the truck but it had no forward or rev, fluid level good, trans fluid was new, no check engine light, shifter linkage seemed ok, no 4x4, i dropped the pan and it was clean, no leaks....any ideas, or has this happened to anyone before?:dunno

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
The plug on the MLPS (manual lever position sensor) may be different but it is easy to change. The rest of it should be the same. The only thing that I think might be different is the number of studs on the torque converter. I dont know if that is just gas vs diesel different or not. You are better off with the 96 trans. It seems like Ford improoved the E4OD every couple of years until they changed the name to the 4R100.
Good Luck
Ken

pete350

pete
Reaction score
thanks for the info NJKen. do you know if the shift solinoids are the same, or does it matter?

sassyrel

Reaction score
there was a diff between those years in the shift solenoids--and the solenoid or two is what may have went bad in your 92----really need to pull the codes. unless you already pulled the trans---

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7