E-350 Steering problem

kpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't disassembled the steering parts from it, mainly because it has more shielded steering column that i have in my F-250 ( E-350 is from year 1991 ) and for now it's on daily use.
Problem is that there is too much play on the steering, which makes it very tiring and hard to drive through the winter with icy grooves on the road. We have replaced the steering gear and that rubber joint before the steering gear and we have also checked that those aren't causing any play. So do you have experience what causes the play, it has to be between the steering wheel and that rubber joint, so is there some kind of u-joint that can cause the problem? It is automatic with tilt steering.

Thanks in advance for everyone...

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
have u checked the tie rods and drag link? if u replaced the rag joint and steering box there isnt much left.

could also be loose bushings (radius arm, i beam, etc).

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
I replaced the main drag link on my E250. It had play in it from the tie rod end. That fixed it right up. Of course it took a long time to figure out what i had cause its a 79 F250 frame and it looks like they used E250 suspension components since its got coil springs up front. If its a suspension/steering component get new ones with grease zerks. MOOG makes good stuff.

kpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi and thanks for your replies,

No i still think that the loose part is somewhere in the steering column. Last summer the whole front end was apart including radiator, so there was good view the the steering column in the engine bay and we checked that the play is somewhere between the rag joint and the steering wheel. i hold the steering column in my hand and other one was turning the wheel and the wheel turned a bit and the steering shaft was still. In fact it turned just about as much as there is loose play also. So can some part in the steering wheel tilt cause that :dunno ...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Look at the rag joint. Just above that you should see a rubber collar. Slide that up towards the firewall. Now turn to steering wheel just enough to feel its play. Watch the slip joint between the upper and lower steering shafts. In this slip is a flat spring and a plastic spring holder. Mine was broken into many pieces. Remove both sections and replace the flat spring. I did this in the truck and it was way too tuff of a job. Out of the truck on a bench and its really reay. Find the parts in any wrecking yard donor truck. Just match up you type of slip joint steering colume. Sometimes its easier to "learn how to" in the wrecking yards instead of your rig..:sly

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 on the slip joint on the steering shaft - the on in my truck was loose too, tho my fix involved jamming a shim between the two pieces and a hose clamp to hold it from falling out. I also recall someone did the same thing with the shim, and then cross-drilled the slip joint and ran a low-grade 1/4 bolt through it to use as a shear pin in case of an accident...

kpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for you answers ;Sweet , i'll check that slip joint as soon as the weather gets a bit warmer...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online