door repair questions

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok,
Not so hard I hope. What do you use to glue the plastic back down over the inside of the door? and what are the little plastic pns that hold the inside of the door on called?

Where do I get them?
Got the lock actuators and headlights, so I am getting ready to install it now...

thanks

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3M weatherstripping / trim adhesive will work for the plastic sheet.

I can't remember what the plastic clips are called but they should be available at any parts store that is a body shop jobber, take an old one with you for refference. They will also carry the adhesive.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What purpose does that thin sheet of plastic perform??:dunno

They have been gone from my doors for years, along with most any vehicle I have ever dealt with.

If I am missing something useful, I might just cut some out of heavy sheet-plastic, the next time I have occassion to be in there.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doors have weep holes, vents, etc.. in them. It helps seal the door so you aren't getting a cold or hot drafts through the door handle, speaker grills, window cranks etc.. Mostly a comfort item. Thick Paper works too.

Can help slightly with noise but if you really want to deaden sound, put some dynamat in there.

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of placing some dynamat in the door to quiet the truck some.
Wow that is $$$$ any one got a less expensive option?

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC somebody mentioned using roofing rubber, or something like that, instead of Dynamat a short time ago. Just remember to figure in the cost of adhesive you'll need too when you price something other than Dynamat which already has adhesive on it to give yourself a true estimate.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
B-Quiet® Extreme is a 1.15mm (45mil) thick composite mat which consists of rubberized asphalt with an aluminum constraining layer. When the paper backing is removed the supercharged adhesive surface forms an incredible bond to ensure optimum deadening performance.

Ummmmm......How do you supercharge adhesive:confused:

Not a bad price at all on the 50 sq ft rolls. If you're getting 2 or more it comes to $1.40 sq ft, time to get with a couple buddies and go in on it together.