Do you think I'm toasting the IP?

7river

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just read a thread from SEARSMECH about a electric fuel pump and learned the IP uses fuel to cool...didn't know that little thing had to cool!
I run WVO and loop the return when on hot veg oil. Yes I have a heck of a time w air because I have fuel connectors all over but what about the hot oil running through that IP? Any one have experience with this?
Returning the fuel is not such an option right now because the veg tank is inside and no A/C! It's 120 gal tank also a couch/bed:)Veg oil is heated to 170-185

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran VO for about 25k in my truck. I quit after I killed IP #2. I don't think that it was the hot oil, and I did save money even after buying new IPs. I think the killer is the switchover, going from ambient temperature diesel to 180F VO. If you're not pumping hot VO in there, then you're causing a lot of carbon and accelerated wear, and I would be worried about breaking the main shaft if you're asking it to pump cooler VO.

I don't really buy the IP being cooled by fuel thing. It is a large piece of metal bolted to a larger hot piece of metal, and the volume of fuel going through it is pretty low to do any effective cooling. Anytime I lift my hood after being at operating temperature and the IP is too hot to touch, even when running just diesel.

7river

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This my opinion too so far.But only having an IDI for a few years no it's not much of an opinion:)
I got around the problem of the "cold slug" of wvo by adding a inline fuel filter between the IP and my 3 way valve. I have a seperate electric pump and filter for diesel and wvo, the diesel goes through stock filter then hits 3 way valve, so when I switch to oil, the incoming oil has to mix with a pint of diesel and return gets looped so more heat and dilution there too. In winter I switch on the oil for a minute then off for 5 min just to get more heat mixed in.
Thanks for the feed back, that makes me feel better;Sweet

I ran VO for about 25k in my truck. I quit after I killed IP #2. I don't think that it was the hot oil, and I did save money even after buying new IPs. I think the killer is the switchover, going from ambient temperature diesel to 180F VO. If you're not pumping hot VO in there, then you're causing a lot of carbon and accelerated wear, and I would be worried about breaking the main shaft if you're asking it to pump cooler VO.

I don't really buy the IP being cooled by fuel thing. It is a large piece of metal bolted to a larger hot piece of metal, and the volume of fuel going through it is pretty low to do any effective cooling. Anytime I lift my hood after being at operating temperature and the IP is too hot to touch, even when running just diesel.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
I'm not an expert on these pumps by any means but I can offer my take on it.

The IP is designed to run on cooled diesel. Its tolerances are very tight and are temperature sensitive. Thats why on a wore out IP it can be hard to start when the engine is warm, AKA "heat soak".

I do think it uses fuel to cool it. What temperature it needs I dont know. Diesel acts as a lubricant and coolant for the injectors and we all know that the IP benefits from lubricity.

Engine oil is a coolant also. The reason your pistons dont melt is because cool oil is being sprayed on them constantly from underneath.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
I think there would also be a problem if you were running 180* oil and then switched to cold #2 diesel. that thermal shock cant be good for it

DragRag

Reaction score
U guys are over thinking this too much. You've got free fuel right? So, who really cares if u kill the ip every so often. If your saving $800 per month in fuel, that's $9600 per yer saved in fuel costs. I can buy a lot of ip's with that kind of savings, plus injectors, a half a dozen new engines, or 3 used descent complete trucks. Run what u got I say, if parts fail, so what.....

7river

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. About the hard start when hot heat soak problem...I had a 6.2 that had that problem bad. Left me stuck on jobs all the time. I got to thinking the diesel is too thin so I poured a gal of veg oil right in the diesel tank, never had the problem again! I didn't do it in winter but never had problem in winter.
I want to save the cost of fuel and IP if I can :dunno

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
When an injection pump wears and ends up with the heat soak hard restart probelm thickening up the fuel helps a lot. Most any fuel thickener will work. ATF.. Vegi oil. WMO.. Just about anything but know this.. Your on borrowed time with that pump.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Just a personal thing. But after a thread/posting of Mel, I don't go for the whole "ruin an injector pump and buy a new one with the money you saved on fuel."

Certain parts of the pumps are no longer made, which IIRC is partly why the moose pumps prices have gone up.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are tons of parts for these trucks everywhere all ip's 83-94 work an can be changed out. If you have a pump rebuilt correctly they run fine on veggi or ATF. It's in the filtering before its burned or poured in tanks. I have ran up to 80% with zero trouble an pushing 58k on the ip. Old ip that's been setting in a truck that people buy used with higher than 75k on the truck the ip is on borrowed years. Also being original to truck in some cases is 20 somthin years old. Jm2c seen 2 on crags list off running trucks 40 each.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is an interesting video. I didn't know the glycerol in vegetable oil would ruin pumps. It is amazing how quickly that contraption made it all sink to the bottom like that. I am guessing that a regular filtration setup would allow that stuff to get in the injection system and clog the mechanisms in the IP??? Wonder if a 1-5 micron filtration would remove that stuff :dunno.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NOPE it clogs up everthing even eats metal. Super hard waxy substance when heated. Makes great SOAP

Javier