Cummins VS 6.9?

bjorkmae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok then what adapter would be needed to bolt a mechanical cummins 12 valve to a E40D. I want to stick with an auto and my trans has already been rebuilt by the last owner with heavy duty cooler etc. Not that I would actually do the swap, since my engine runs great, but I can dream and get prices.

cetanefreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for that you are going to have to go to Destroked.com or fordcummins.com the E4OD does not use an sae bellhousing as I recall.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While we are talking bell-housings, remember that there are TWO components that make the engine to transmission connection, the bell-housing and the engine adapter, which is the rearward facing housing that the bell-housing connects to.

When I state "engine adapter", I am not meaning some adapter that you get from Advance Adapters or somesuch; EVERY engine has an engine adapter bolted onto the rear of the block; it is the protusion that encircles the flywheel.

The bell-housing need not necessarily be SAE, it is the engine adapter that is SAE; and, it is not uncommon in a transmission swap to have to have an entirely different engine adapter; an example being left- or right-side starter locations. ;Sweet

bigrandy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dt360 that I have is I believe a 190hp out of a bus and it had an allison behind it.I guess from what I have read that it was a 545?No tag on it but it looks like an sae type bellhousing.I read somewhere that these engines are good for about 400 horse on stock injectors and the a pump.Now I need to find an adapter for the e4od and Ill start my swap;Sweet

bigrandy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh BTW I bought a wrecked bus for $1000 amd just sold the rear and the tranny for $400 and got $375 for the hulk!!the bus only had 63k on the odo when it got wrecked:thumbsup:

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The dt360 that I have is I believe a 190hp out of a bus and it had an allison behind it.I guess from what I have read that it was a 545?No tag on it but it looks like an sae type bellhousing.I read somewhere that these engines are good for about 400 horse on stock injectors and the a pump.Now I need to find an adapter for the e4od and Ill start my swap;Sweet

Cool deal. Please keep us up to date on how that goes. It will be a cool project. As far as tricks to get the DT360 breathing fire......... Give Brent a call at Gene's Machine Shop. He may know who can provide you with an adaptor.

Some good reading HERE as well.

Heath

bjorkmae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked out the two previous websites, $600 for a piece of metal that adapts the cummins to the E40D!!! Thats robbery! Why not just buy a wrecked dodge and swap everything over minus the engine mounts? Going by these prices I would just settle for having a crappy dodge truck that came with a cummins as you could easily spend $10k getting one installed.

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
500# of torque in an idi is breaking new ground, a 500# cummins is boring. do a dt360. a gut on powerstroke nation did one in a superduty, so the bell adapter is out there.

IDI + Banks turbo should put you right about 480# in a 6.9, probably 500# on a 7.3

I'm seriously considering the DT360, I'll see what I can come up with in the way of 4x4 transmissions, gotta love the exhaust note of an inline six :love: and better fuel economy means more driving the truck ;Sweet

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
IDI + Banks turbo should put you right about 480# in a 6.9, probably 500# on a 7.3

I'm seriously considering the DT360, I'll see what I can come up with in the way of 4x4 transmissions, gotta love the exhaust note of an inline six :love: and better fuel economy means more driving the truck ;Sweet

i guess everyone has there own opinions, but i dont care as much for the inline 6 sound, i prefer winding v8 idi diesel out i love that sound:sly but if i ever do a motor swap besides a I-H IDI then it will be a DT-360 but i really doubt i will ever do something like that

bigrandy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The sound is'nt so important to me as the power and mileage.Plus being a wet sleeve engine there isnt any cavitation to worry about.I will definitely use the 7.3 in a bronco for a playtoy.It works great as a wheelin eengine and it only has about 20k on it so its a keeper.Anyway you look at it I will only use an IH in my trucks from now on.Cummins too expensive and are only good for so long.And Cat never really built a good engine for a pickup size application.So IH it is.

bigrandy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The sound is'nt so important to me as the power and mileage.Plus being a wet sleeve engine there isnt any cavitation to worry about.I will definitely use the 7.3 in a bronco for a playtoy.It works great as a wheelin engine and it only has about 20k on it so its a keeper.Anyway you look at it I will only use an IH in my trucks from now on.Cummins too expensive and are only good for so long.And Cat never really built a good engine for a pickup size application.So IH it is.

cetanefreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well maybe I'll just **** everyone off and pull the fully built twin turbo P-pump 24 valve out of my dodge, along with the NV5600 and T-case, put them in my '86 f250, and drop a DT360 with an allison and divorced NP205 in the 3500 Dodge.

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
well maybe I'll just **** everyone off and pull the fully built twin turbo P-pump 24 valve out of my dodge, along with the NV5600 and T-case, put them in my '86 f250, and drop a DT360 with an allison and divorced NP205 in the 3500 Dodge.

Why pissed off, six in a row is the way to go! ;Sweet