Cummins VS 6.9?

pybyr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always admired the Cummins 6BT-- and I have a fondness for torquey inline 6cyls in general. Had one in a Dodge 2500 and was very fond of how it ran and performed (except it was inexplicably thirsty compared to their reputation for economy).

That said, if you read up on the various iterations of the Cummins, they've got their achilles heels, too. Search Cummins + "killer dowel pin" on Google. Other than the inline P-pump, and the new EFI ones (which'd be complicated to swap due to the electronic controls) they've had some fuel system headaches, too.

My 7.3 does not have the intoxicating excess of low-end torque that my Dodge did, but in some ways, it's a more well rounded engine for what I want, since I'm not aiming to prove anything with record-setting ##s.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forget the Cummins. If you are set on a inline 6 swap, get an IH DT360. It is IH's version of the 5.9L Cummins 6BT. But, it is a wet sleeve design (much better) and you will still have an IH under the hood. They are also very easy to get great power from. They are only 1/2 longer than a 6BT and can be found for a reasonable price.

STICK TO IH POWER!!!;Sweet

Heath

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forget the Cummins. If you are set on a inline 6 swap, get an IH DT360. It is IH's version of the 5.9L Cummins 6BT. But, it is a wet sleeve design (much better) and you will still have an IH under the hood. They are also very easy to get great power from. They are only 1/2 longer than a 6BT and can be found for a reasonable price.

STICK TO IH POWER!!!;Sweet

Heath

i would love to have one of these but i cant find any here in md.

any special places i should look?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
If you have the money for it...then go for it. If you want to be different, then do the DT360 swap, otherwise I dont see anything wrong with swapping a cummins in. The local craigslist has cummins + trannies for around $2000 all the time...wish I had the money LOL

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is common for medium duty truck owners to swap out the DT360 for a DT466. Look for late 80's and early to 95 school buses that are being parted out. You can find them on eBay from time to time as well. I got my DT466 from eBay in November.;Really Check local classified and CL as well.

Heath

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heath, how does a stock DT360 compare to the 6.9 or 7.3 as far as power?

It depends on the factory HP rating. Some were 160HP ........ some were 210HP. But, the torque/HP ratio is higher, it is a very beefy design, it is wet sleeved, and can be easily bombed. It's a 12 valve 5.9 diesel, but not one that everyone is using eh?

Heath

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most come with a SAE #2 but that can easily be changed to whatever bellhousing you need. It simply bolts to the back of the block. Tons of options for trannies with the DT series.

Heath

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
School me on SAE bell housings, I've heard a-plenty, but don't yet grasp the details...

cetanefreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC the SAE II bellhousing is the same one that the cummins b series uses right? so theoretically I could use an NV4500 behind a DT 360 and it would just bolt right up?

cetanefreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sae housings are the standard for medium duty and up trucks that all manufacturers agreed on in order to offer different engines and transmissions in trucks at a reasonable cost.