Craigslist Diesel International Scout

Exekiel69

Reaction score
It sounds like a lot of work was done to it, were I in His position, wouldn't ask less than that. Nice rig.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
A bit high... it's actually 18" longer, and bring a 79 has no turbo so it's pretty gutless. Would be a good start for an idi swap, or back to ih gasser.

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A bit high... it's actually 18" longer, and bring a 79 has no turbo so it's pretty gutless. Would be a good start for an idi swap, or back to ih gasser.

Actually the ad said it is a turbo, and the motor and fuel system was completely gone through. Im sure there was thousands spent right there...

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually the ad said it is a turbo, and the motor and fuel system was completely gone through. Im sure there was thousands spent right there...
Yeah, he mentioned a couple of times that it has a turbo engine...but, that means that it's not the original engine, unless he added a turbo to a n/a SD-33 (not necessarily the best of ideas, since the n/a SD-33 didn't have the piston oil jets like the turbos did).

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, he mentioned a couple of times that it has a turbo engine...but, that means that it's not the original engine, unless he added a turbo to a n/a SD-33 (not necessarily the best of ideas, since the n/a SD-33 didn't have the piston oil jets like the turbos did).

Or it was a late model year production or something like that. I know that the turbo version was "technically" offered in the 80' model year, but perhaps this is an oddball. I highly doubt someone would go through all the trouble of adding a turbo to a N/A version of that engine. Its rare enough as it is, much less going through the trouble of piecing together a system.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like to see pics of the engine, and something to legitimize the 20 in town and 30 highway MPGs. It's possible, but I gotta say "Missouri" :D

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
I'd like to see pics of the engine, and something to legitimize the 20 in town and 30 highway MPGs. It's possible, but I gotta say "Missouri" :D

Good luck getting that 30 mpg's on any highway in the U.S. without being in danger of getting a ticket for going too slow. I'd say realistically it'd be closer to 20-22 mpg's, and that's if you're super nice to it. Nothing over 65 mph. The axle ratio doesn't make sense either. Did IH ever actually use a 3.54? I've never heard of one... Diesel Scouts were supposed to have 3.73's in them, and people change them out to a 3.07 for better performance and mileage. And he's missing the chrome trim pieces on his front fenders. I wish he had better pictures of it, because anything can look good from 40' away.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the fuel mileage "clarity".

And by the way: a PSD powered Scout might be the coolest repower of all time ;Sweet Take lots of pics!

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
And by the way: a PSD powered Scout might be the coolest repower of all time ;Sweet Take lots of pics!

I have to find the time to do it first. And a DT444e for a transplant. But I planned on it. :sly

I don't have a problem with my SD33T diesel Scout. I really like it. It's just that no one else likes it when they're having to pass me because the top speed is a whopping 70 mph on a good day, and if I'm in my one of my "I hate money" moods so I don't care about mileage. It's usually closer to 65 mph and just deal with it. Paying for 30+ gallons of diesel at once isn't fun.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Good luck getting that 30 mpg's on any highway in the U.S. without being in danger of getting a ticket for going too slow. I'd say realistically it'd be closer to 20-22 mpg's, and that's if you're super nice to it. Nothing over 65 mph. The axle ratio doesn't make sense either. Did IH ever actually use a 3.54? I've never heard of one... Diesel Scouts were supposed to have 3.73's in them, and people change them out to a 3.07 for better performance and mileage. And he's missing the chrome trim pieces on his front fenders. I wish he had better pictures of it, because anything can look good from 40' away.

3.55 was very common. mine had 3.55's in it and it was quite gutless, excessive clutch riding on the slightest hills with 32" tires, and unless it was building boost it couldn't make it up a hill over 50 mph. :puke:

mine averaged 24, that was the only good part!. but losing 4 mph and getting a ton more power was worth it! ;Sweet

there's a guy on the binderplanet that swapped a PSD in a '64 scout 80. it was a tight fit to say the least! cookoo

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
3.55 was very common. mine had 3.55's in it and it was quite gutless, excessive clutch riding on the slightest hills with 32" tires, and unless it was building boost it couldn't make it up a hill over 50 mph. :puke:

mine averaged 24, that was the only good part!. but losing 4 mph and getting a ton more power was worth it! ;Sweet

there's a guy on the binderplanet that swapped a PSD in a '64 scout 80. it was a tight fit to say the least! cookoo

Ok, I thought there was only the 3.73 and 3.07 with nothing in between. Guess that makes sense then.