Diesel Newbie

Polar_Bear209

Reaction score
Hello Ladies and Gents,
I am new to diesels and the likes. I am wondering if it's worth getting one vs a gasser. My wife and I are planning on the RV life for a while to try and save up to get a house because on a fixed income its hard to save when paying rent.
Anyway, I am looking at an 01' 7.3l; not sure if it's IDI or PS, but I hear that IDI is better and easier to work on, but the PS is easier and better for mods for power and and the like for towing.
I am here to ask for your opinions and wisdom. I am not a know it all and I am teachable so throw it at me.
Also, living in Cali but looking to move to Montana to visit with family and come to visit family in Cali. Just to throw that out there.

Thanks everyone.

PolarBear.

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right on welcome to the forum! The '01 truck should have come stock with a powerstroke, believe 1994.5 was the last year of IDIs before the transition. Both are great engines - I like wrenching and don't have much money so went with an IDI.

You'll get better MPG towing with a diesel compared to gas

FrozenMerc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are my $0.02, and probably not worth that much.

1. Gassers will always be cheaper to own, maintain, and operate. If you are towing less than 10,000 lbs, a gasser will do just fine as long as you can afford the 6 to 8 mpg with the RV hanging off the bumper. The new Ford 7.3L gasser has some pretty awesome towing specs and is getting good reviews, but I am assuming a $75K+ truck is out of the question (even used ones are still bringing $50K in good, low mileage condition).

2. 1983 to 1994 was the IDI, 1994 1/2 to 2003 was the 7.3L Powerstroke HEUI. The engines share nothing expect displacement and manufacturer (International Harvester / Navistar). You definitely are looking at a Powerstroke if it is a 2001.

3. A stock, Naturally Aspirated IDI ('83 to '93) is not a good choice for heavy pulling. It takes alot of mods (turbos, pumps, injectors, cams, etc) and dollars to get an IDI to comfortably pull a 10,000 lb RV down the interstate at 70 mph. A stock Powerstroke is a much better platform to start with if you plan on pulling a RV across the intermountain west.

4. IDI Weak Points. The Glow Plug system is problematic. You will want that system to be in tip-top shape, especially in Montana during the winter (Honey, where's my ether?)
The fuel return lines on the injectors need regular maintenance and replacement.
The Injection Pumps are typically only good for 100,000 miles with todays ultra low sulphur diesel. This is the most expensive part on the motor and can
cost $1000 to $1500 to repair or replace.

5. Powerstroke Weak Points: Keep your oil clean! The fuel injection system relies on engine oil pumped up to very high pressures to fire the injectors. Dirty oil can lead to failed
injectors, HPOP's, stuck IPR valves, and other related issues.
Engine Wiring harness. Wiring harness issues often plague these motors, especially under the valve covers.
Coolant Cavitation: Time to learn what SCR's are and keep that coolant fresh.

6. B10 / B50 Life. The Powerstroke has a B10 (10% of engines will fail) life of 200,000 miles and a B50 (50% of engines will fail) of 350,000 miles. The IDI is generally a bit less with a B50 around 250,000 miles. However the IDI is cheaper to rebuild than the Powerstroke due to the expense and extra complexity of the HEUI system.

7. Drivetrain: Many IDI trucks did not come with overdrive. Ford didn't introduce the E4OD or ZF5 manual until 1989. The early 80's IDI's were backed with a T19 4 spd manual or a C6 auto. Bullet proof for sure, but when backed with a 4.11:1 rear axle you have a truck that tops out at 63 mph. Also, you couldn't get a Dual Rear Wheel with 4x4 prior to the 1998 next generation Super Duty's. Your only option on the earlier OBS trucks was to buy a SRW truck with 4x4 and have an aftermarket company such as Centurion install a conversion kit.

Old diesel trucks are not for the faint of heart or wallet. The red '85 F350 in my avatar was an extremely well taken care of, one-owner truck when I purchased it with only 90,000 miles on the clock in 2016. I have since replaced the IP, installed an overdrive, rebuilt the motor, added a turbo, 3.5" exhaust, new carpet and headliner, new tires, 3 alternators and voltage regulators, new shocks, new kingpins, new brakes, and a bunch of other little things, all beyond the regular maintenance. I am sure I have well beyond double the initial purchase price into those items. In the next couple of months, the fuel tanks will get dropped for new senders, new rear gears are going in, tailgate will be replaced, and possibly an IP upgrade. It is not quite a BOAT, but it is getting close.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are my $0.02, and probably not worth that much.

1. Gassers will always be cheaper to own, maintain, and operate. If you are towing less than 10,000 lbs, a gasser will do just fine as long as you can afford the 6 to 8 mpg with the RV hanging off the bumper. The new Ford 7.3L gasser has some pretty awesome towing specs and is getting good reviews, but I am assuming a $75K+ truck is out of the question (even used ones are still bringing $50K in good, low mileage condition).

2. 1983 to 1994 was the IDI, 1994 1/2 to 2003 was the 7.3L Powerstroke HEUI. The engines share nothing expect displacement and manufacturer (International Harvester / Navistar). You definitely are looking at a Powerstroke if it is a 2001.

3. A stock, Naturally Aspirated IDI ('83 to '93) is not a good choice for heavy pulling. It takes alot of mods (turbos, pumps, injectors, cams, etc) and dollars to get an IDI to comfortably pull a 10,000 lb RV down the interstate at 70 mph. A stock Powerstroke is a much better platform to start with if you plan on pulling a RV across the intermountain west.

4. IDI Weak Points. The Glow Plug system is problematic. You will want that system to be in tip-top shape, especially in Montana during the winter (Honey, where's my ether?)
The fuel return lines on the injectors need regular maintenance and replacement.
The Injection Pumps are typically only good for 100,000 miles with todays ultra low sulphur diesel. This is the most expensive part on the motor and can
cost $1000 to $1500 to repair or replace.

5. Powerstroke Weak Points: Keep your oil clean! The fuel injection system relies on engine oil pumped up to very high pressures to fire the injectors. Dirty oil can lead to failed
injectors, HPOP's, stuck IPR valves, and other related issues.
Engine Wiring harness. Wiring harness issues often plague these motors, especially under the valve covers.
Coolant Cavitation: Time to learn what SCR's are and keep that coolant fresh.

6. B10 / B50 Life. The Powerstroke has a B10 (10% of engines will fail) life of 200,000 miles and a B50 (50% of engines will fail) of 350,000 miles. The IDI is generally a bit less with a B50 around 250,000 miles. However the IDI is cheaper to rebuild than the Powerstroke due to the expense and extra complexity of the HEUI system.

7. Drivetrain: Many IDI trucks did not come with overdrive. Ford didn't introduce the E4OD or ZF5 manual until 1989. The early 80's IDI's were backed with a T89 4 spd manual or a C6 auto. Bullet proof for sure, but when backed with a 4.11:1 rear axle you have a truck that tops out at 63 mph. Also, you couldn't get a Dual Rear Wheel with 4x4 prior to the 1998 next generation Super Duty's. Your only option on the earlier OBS trucks was to buy a SRW truck with 4x4 and have an aftermarket company such as Centurion install a conversion kit.

Old diesel trucks are not for the faint of heart or wallet. The red '85 F350 in my avatar was an extremely well taken care of, one-owner truck when I purchased it with only 90,000 miles on the clock in 2016. I have since replaced the IP, installed an overdrive, rebuilt the motor, added a turbo, 3.5" exhaust, new carpet and headliner, new tires, 3 alternators and voltage regulators, and a bunch of other little things, all beyond the regular maintenance. I am sure I have well beyond double the initial purchase price into those items. In the next couple of months, the fuel tanks will get dropped for new senders, new rear gears are going in, and possibly an IP upgrade. It is not quite a BOAT, but it is getting close.

Good Luck.
SOMEBODY POST THIS (ESPECIALLY THE LAST PARAGRAPH) AS THE DEFINITIVE STATEMENT ON ANCIENT DIESEL TRUCKS!!!
Cheers @FrozenMerc ,cheers!

I'll add this: learn the secret hand signal, we'll keep an eye out for you.....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230414-171617.jpg
    Screenshot_20230414-171617.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 1

FrozenMerc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is all about what you and your budget are willing to tolerate.

A late model 6.7 powered Ford will afford you with a nice $1,000+ monthly payment (not including tax, insurance, and license) for the next 5 to 7 years, and you better have at least $10K in savings to spend when something under the hood goes awry. I managed a fleet of 6.7 powered F450's and F550's at my last job, and it was a minimum of $5K every time one of those trucks cast a shadow onto the dealers service bay. I can spend a bunch more money on my '85 before I get to what a 2016 F350 would have cost me over the past 7 years.
The expenses just come in fits and chunks now, rather than one nice clean monthly payment.

Last edited:

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The IDI Diesels are getting pretty long in the tooth, so finding a good clean, rust free one is a long shot.
Most will be in the 200 - 300K mile range.

83 - 87 is the 6.9, then in 88 it was bored out to be called the 7.3 IDI, and ran to 94.
94 is the only year the IDI Engine was Turbo`d from the factory.

I posted this truck on Craigs list in Spokan, Wa. in a thread I started. 94, pretty clean, E4OD trans. 4 x 4, and probably 4:11 diff.

Prices on these old tucks have shot up the last few years.

There was a typo above. 83 - 86 manual 4 spd is a T-19. Not T-89.
Some excellent write up,s above.

Goat

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Old Goat i remember seeing and linking your pickup to someone looking for “the unicorn” in some wanted thread on here.

What a beauty of a pickup!!!!!

Currently diesel is 17% higher than gas.

So what camper you pulling? Or do you still need to procure one? How many kids?thanks!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86