couple trans and truck questions

chris88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have my eye on a truck. I think its an 87 model year but i cant remeber off hand. Its the same body style as the 88-92. Did they put 6.9/T-18's in that body? I havent seen the truck in a couple months but i'll see it again on wednsday. If its a t-18 i want to swap the trans to an overdrive trans. Are there any other over drive trans that will fit under the cab of a pickup other than a zf-5. I dont have anything against the zf but was wondering if i could put a spicer out of an IH and if it would fit under the cab. What is the gear ratio of overdrive in the zf? If i get this truck i plan on redoing as much as i can. New brakelines front to back, IP and injectors and whatever else it needs. I plan on it being a work truck and a good reliable daily driver.
Thanks
Chris

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I don't know about the ratio or the IH tranny but I thought they had either a t-19 or zf-5 on those years for standard trannys.

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
Installing any trans other than a Ford spec unit will most likely require a different flywheel and adapter plate and some sustom ount and driveshaft work. Anything can be made to work if you want it to badly eough! The ZF is a good transmission if it has a person that knows how to run through the gears rite. They are fairly tollerant to abuse. Every one I have changed out can be traced to operator error.
Ken

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diesel ZF-5 Ratios

1st - 4.14
2nd - 2.37
3rd - 1.42
4th - 1.00
5th - .76

As for putting a spicer in...Anything can be done, it's a matter of how much money you want to spend and work you want to do. If you go with a spicer out of an IH MD truck you will need to change the to an SAE bell housing, best thing to do on a swap like that is buy a doner truck and you will get everything, otherwise you spend alot more piecing everything together.

For the sake of simplicity I'd suggest going to the ZF-5 if it has a T-19 in it because everything has already been designed engineered and made to put the ZF-5 in these trucks and it is a proven reliable transmission.

Make sure if you go the ZF-5 route that you get one from a diesel and not a gas engine, The gas tranny won't fit the diesel block and it also has different 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear ratios.

chris88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I dont have any problems with a zf i was just wonderin if any other trans would fit. The truck i was lookin at fell through as far as i can tell but another ones lined up. Right now I'm lookin for a work IDI then later i'll find a nice crew cab long bed dually to toy around with.

Chris