Coolant temps.

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally fixed my upper radiator hose leak. First it was leaking around where it attaches to the thermostat housing, new hose and cleaned that up. Then it started leaking at the radiator. Turns out the paint on the new radiator was flaking off, causing sealing issues. So I pulled the hose off and cleaned the paint off the sealing surface, and cleaned the paint off the hose, and now it doesn't leak coolant anymore.

So, after all that, I tested my coolant temps. Yes I have an aftermarket gauge. So, in town, it seems to hover around 200 degrees. When on the freeway, it hovers at about 210 for the most part. Occasionally drops to 205, but not often.

Is this normal for these? I wonder if my thermostat is OE or aftermarket. When initially getting on the freeway, it will generally go to about 210-212 on the gauge, then drops to around 195 before climbing back to 210 and holding.

Even with the leak, the engine never overheated, even with a load, albeit only about 5k lbs.

What's the consensus?

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I knew I forgot something. :idiot: The probe replaced the factory overtemp sensor.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
same prob locagtion and same temps for me.

Reaction score
Same probe location, but those temps are high from my experience. Mine used to run 205 all day long commuting and on the freeway, but would go into the 210s and above with just the slightest bit of effort. Replaced the original thermostat with a new OEM unit, and now I hover around 195.

Mike

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well its time to get a factory thermostat no matter whats in there now. The factory thermostat is part number E5TZ-8575-C. It begins to open at 192 degrees and is fully open at 212 degrees. Never ever run any other thermostat. Others will claim to fit and work but.. They can't pass enough coolant to keep the engines cool. We have tested this time and time again. Some feel they can run a lower thermostat and get away with it.. So far that has not come true but they still try. Only one member has offered a way to run an aftermarket thermostat. He drills a hole in what he uses. You might ask around for more info on this. Scott might chime in with what he runs. These engines run better around 195 to 200 degrees. Better fuel mileage and better proformance too.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
perhaops not opening far enough if its still an old oem unit.
Im going to be replacing mine..sometime...soonenough.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thinking my thermostat's sticking icanfixall?

I'm thinking you have one of three possible issues. One is the wrong thermostat
Two is the fan clutch is worn out.
Three is the radiater may be scaled up.
Doing the thermostat is the quickest and cheapest of these three things.

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fan clutch may be worn. I've never heard it engage, and it has crud built up on the front of it. Probably leaking the viscous fluid. Cleaned the crud off, but I doubt that would change anything.

The radiator is pretty well new. Very unlikely it's scaled up already.

I'll change the thermostat, as much of a pain as that's going to be. Does the housing use a gasket or not?

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd guess weak fan clutch. Possibly weak thermostat. I'd for sure replace the thermostat, since if it's acting up enough to cause that behavior it's likely pretty close to being completely shot. After that I'd try a new or know good fan clutch and see what happens.

JohnZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, there is a gasket that comes with the OEM Motorcraft thermostat.

There is a Tech 101 article here on OBN with step by step pictures. I just read through it and got a t-stat from a dealer by the office I work at. They wanted $25 for it, but I talked them down to $20 after tax. I plan to do that this weekend. But you know how my plans go... I keep having to work late and lose all my wrenching time. - JohnZ

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 4

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealer near me will have a thermostat for me tomorrow. $21.76 total. I hope to do it this weekend, but have no idea if I'll have the time. I think I'm supposed to put in a stone walkway this saturday. No functional idea though.

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the elephant snot used in a thread on the subject necessary, or cazn I use a different suitable rtv type? I have some copper rtv, but no elephant snot.