Coolant Mixing

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
THIS IS THE 6.0 FORUM!!! Just wanted to clear that up before anyone posted mistaking it for the IDI forum...it happens!!!

What are your thoughts on mixing coolants in the 6.0 engine?

I understand this is instant death for the EGR and oil coolers as it can cause silicate drop out.

I am mainly concerned with what would happen is a NON silicate coolant is topped up with a SILICATE coolant.

Example being a dump truck loosing coolant (Shell Rotella ELC which is NON SILICATE) and the dealer is dumping RECOCHEM silicate based coolant in on top of it.....upto 6 gallons in a year.

I have spec sheets on BOTH coolants, they BOTH say not to intermix with other brands.

I want your opinions.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I am not sure, but I do know the silicate in the coolant likes to dropout and cause buildup/blockages in the coolant passages. This is one of the things that plugs the oil cooler and causes the EGR Cooler to leak.....

ford390gashog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It depends Shell states its okay but drops the service life of the ELC a ton! Does this truck have coolant filtration at all? Also find out where the 6 gallons went first. Silicate drop out won't hurt the egr but will clog the oil cooler and egr cooler causing cracks and blown HG's.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
It depends Shell states its okay but drops the service life of the ELC a ton! Does this truck have coolant filtration at all? Also find out where the 6 gallons went first. Silicate drop out won't hurt the egr but will clog the oil cooler and egr cooler causing cracks and blown HG's.

The truck in question is a 2010 International Workstar with a Maxxforcee 10 engine. In 40000 miles she drank a confirmed 6 whole gallons of coolant. We are having an oil sample taken to find out where the coolant is going, but we all know the trucks are blowing EGR coolers and oil coolers. Oil has been contaminated with coolant, we just need to prove it.

From the factory these trucks do NOT have a coolant filter. I suggested adding one, but we were told that ANY modifications not first approed by the engineers would void our warranties.

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
The oil coolers on these engines will clog for no dam reason at all. I would imagine that mixing coolants could not possibly help that at all.
Just my $.02
Ken

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online