Converting to dually questions

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only the outer wheels are aluminum. I have steel inners on the rear. I'm still a little confused about what hub centric means?

It means what it saids, the wheel centers on the hub. Instead of acorn style (taper) lug nuts centering the wheel, a duallie has a flat washer/nut combo and is aligned by the fitment on the hub.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the wheels are mounted, you need some way to keep them turning true with the hubs. If not, you will have tires that go up and down as you drive which isn't a good thing.
Travis..

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll have to disagree with you on that, as said pin is no larger than 1/2" in diameter whereas the hole it fits in is like 3/4" or so. Not sure what exactly that pin does tho, other than getting in the way.

the pin is for alignment so when you put the wheels on the valve stems end up opposite of each other and lined up with a hole in the rim so you can put air in them.really dont know why they did it to the fronts though.knock them out if you want,theyre not needed.you need to remove them for most aftermarket aluminum wheels

langevette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the pin is for alignment so when you put the wheels on the valve stems end up opposite of each other and lined up with a hole in the rim so you can put air in them.really dont know why they did it to the fronts though.knock them out if you want,theyre not needed.you need to remove them for most aftermarket aluminum wheels

;Sweet beat me to it.

stumpjumper3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh okay thank you for the clarification. I'll have to take a look at them today on the way home. I had the local tires store mount them so i actually never looked closely at them. I'll take a picture of the wheels if i can remember to swing by my father in laws shop on the way home. The lugnuts on these wheels are a deep shank style. Like what i used to mount my slotted mags on my Cherokee.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
not sure about that.the aluminum wheels on my duallie center on the hubs but use the "normal" chrome lugs.

I believe his lug nut are the shank style which actually go inside the wheel like these
You must be registered for see images attach

Which with these, they center the wheel

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok i see what your saying.but i have never seen that style used on a duallie before :dunno .

Last edited:

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I'll have to disagree with you on that, as said pin is no larger than 1/2" in diameter whereas the hole it fits in is like 3/4" or so. Not sure what exactly that pin does tho, other than getting in the way.

I have no clue what the "Pin" is for. I would just knock em out for aluminum wheels.

And all the dually I have seen are hub centric so the wheels center themselves

The rims you're looking at are hub centric and yes the pin is to keep it from walking on the hub. No not all duallies are like this.

I have been messing with a chassis/cab dually dump truck once in awhile, and haven't figured out some things about them yet.

1. See that pin sticking out in the above picture of the dually adapters? The wheels have a corresponding hole that this pins fits into. What exactly is the purpose of this? I know the pin fits into the hole in the wheel, but why is this needed? Does it have something to do with my 2nd question?

2. I noticed on the truck I am messing with (1989), the lug nuts are not conical shaped. The lug nuts have a large washer made onto them. Are all duallies like this? There is nothing that is going to center these wheels to the hubs except the fit on the large hole in the center of the wheel. Is this possibly the reason for the pin, to keep the wheel from working back and forth around the hub centric part of the hub?

This Pin you are all wondering about is to make sure that the 4 holes in the wheels line up with each other when both wheels are bolted to the hub. I THINK it is also there to make sure the valve stems are opposite when the wheels are on the hub together, so you can reach both valve stems easily.

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pin on the front is just to center the wheel not really necessary as I have knocked them off the front and had no problem but on the rear they align the 2 wheels so you can air up the inside tire.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the guys I work with had a set of aluminum aftermarket wheels with mag shank lug nuts. That will work for centering them, but I wonder how the rear works out? I suppose if the stock inner is hub centric, the outer wheel would just clamp it in place. If the stock inner has no way of being centered, you will encounter serious shakes. Be aware that those adapters will make the rear of your truck fairly wide and your bed may not cover the outer dual.
Travis..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online