Converting to dually questions

stumpjumper3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't forsee the bed width being an issue. This bed was designed to be extra wide and its got quite the overhang luckily. Thank you for the heads up about that inner wheel. I will definately be carefull when i put them on.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the guys I work with had a set of aluminum aftermarket wheels with mag shank lug nuts. That will work for centering them, but I wonder how the rear works out? I suppose if the stock inner is hub centric, the outer wheel would just clamp it in place. If the stock inner has no way of being centered, you will encounter serious shakes.
What you do in this case if have the parking brake on to hold the hubs stationary, then you borrow two helpers - one is attempting as hard as they can to turn the inner wheel clockwise or counter-clockwise (your call, don't really matter), the other helper does the same with the outer wheel but in the opposite direction, and in the mean time you run the lug nuts in and tighten them - when you get four of them pretty tight the helpers can let go of the wheels and let you finish torquing the lugnuts down properly. What this accomplishes is centering the wheels on the studs, as your helpers are forcing the wheels against the studs the studs will all set into the middle (radially) of the stud holes in the wheels - they will however be against one side of the holes, which is why you have the wheels forced against the studs at opposite directions. This is how I install my outer wheels, my inners are where they should be but I have 5/16" spacers between the inners and the outers which are just thick enough to where the outers no longer ride on the hub flange and so a not hub-centric anymore - I do this by myself and I use an impact wrench on a low setting to run the lugnuts initially, it's a bit of annoying but t works great, I have no wheel vibrations whatsoever.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a trick I never would have thought of ;Sweet He shouldn't have to worry about the outer wheel with shanked lug nuts though, just the inner. The one thing you MUST check is that the shank doesn't go completely through the wheel and contact the flange or wheel behind it. If it does, even by the tinyest bit, your wheel will not be tight even if the lug nut is
Travis..

stumpjumper3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The lugnuts i have are meant for the setup i have. Luckily the gentleman they were bought from ordered them specially so that he didn't have to worry about them.

That tip on mounting the wheels is just gold. I can't thank you enough for that tip. Very very helpful. This is exactly the reason i post here. The wealth of knowledge is priceless. Thanks again everybody for your tips and help.

Austin

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well thank you folks, I do have my moments, right about once a year actually - I came up with this trick last fall, so expect yet another bright idea some time in 2011. lol :D And yes, if it's just inner or just outer wheels that need to be centered then it's a one-man job (tho a helper is still nice), but in case of both inner and outer wheels being off the hub lip then forget it, you'll need the extra pair of hands for sure.