Clogged Orifice tube

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why exactly does it ruin a shop's equipment? What does it do to their equipment? Dont they have a large dryer and filter setup for when they evacuate systems? Wouldnt this filter oul the stop leak or the dangerous part? So long as the stop leak doesnt mix with oxygen it should stay stop leak and no cause any issues.

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That honestly seems like a propaganda add. "scare sales" tactic. I buy the orifice part if theres debris to mix with, but an evaporator replacement? Its aluminum and you can flush it out. If you notice part of the story mentions the copper line the one gentleman ran right next to the picture of the green sludge (copper oxide). You should never introduce any dissimilar metals to a system, especially copper to aluminum. All lines, condenser, evaportator, everything is aluminum on my truck as a 93. If you introduce any dissimilar metal parts that will happen too. Everything in there seems to have come from a system containing copper, aluminum is designed for acidic environments as they mention neutralizing the acids that moisture can form. Aluminum is fine down to a pH of around 3.5.

I've never personally had any problems with AC stop leak, on dozens of my own vehicles. The correct way is to replace all orings and possible leaking components, and he did that, so now what? He still has no AC. So if it's already not working, and wont stay filled whats it really going to hurt? Maybe it's leaking as his compressor but then he already needs to replace the compressor... so maybe the sealant will seal it and prevent him from having to buy a compressor. What is the next step you would suggest to him if not using stop leak?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The machines I used to use had a cloth looking filter in it that the sealer would, well, seal up tight, and then it would be clogged for the next use. The filter was around 200 bucks iirc. Filter is designed to catch debris not glue. Costing for AC service jobs is figured in with a normal filter life. Best way I can explain it.
As far as OP. replace whatever is leaking, Its not that hard to do and the parts are not expensive.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Update this thread...

I pulled my Orifice tube, and found it to be full of junk again, all that flushing just didnt get it all, when it was as bad as it was I guess.

You must be registered for see images

I debated flushing again and giving it another go, but I noticed metal flakes on the O tube this time, so I decided if I need a new compressor anyways, I dont want to ruin it with junk clogged parts.

I got a new Motorcraft YCC-193 compressor for 150, and picked up a new Condenser and Evap core and dryer for 160, I plan to replace the parts and bring it to a shop and have them Vacuum, fill with oil and freon. Hopefully then I will be worry free for as long as I own the truck,

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why exactly does it ruin a shop's equipment? What does it do to their equipment? Dont they have a large dryer and filter setup for when they evacuate systems? Wouldnt this filter oul the stop leak or the dangerous part? So long as the stop leak doesnt mix with oxygen it should stay stop leak and no cause any issues.
the filters in the machine are to recycle refrigerant only. Stop leak plugs up the soloniods and makes them stick. It also plugs up the oil injector lines. I had to buy a $500 filter to keep the stuff out of my machine. It costs $1000 every time they come out to fix it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7