Chicken lights

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Matrix37495 said:
That was quite a read with a ton of info. Thank you for taking the time to get the voltage measurements. Not having the E4OD, I have no idea what the volt difference will do. It sensing voltage at the BOO switch makes sense though... You could use the leds i have to replace the 194 bulbs. They are non-polarized so the work well with the flashing marker mod. Not sure on current draw though...

I'm sorry you want to stangle me now... :D I need to bundle my wiring better...throughout the whole truck...
Oh, I ain't worried about the E4OD, the first time it did the converter cycle on the interstate I put a diode after the BOO switch, all problems solved at once - wonder why the factory didn't do it, not like tis expensive or anything. A relay would achieve the same result as well. As for running the extra wiring, to be honest it could be worse - I could still have the factory rear tank, I could barely even see the harness next to the dang thing, now w/ Bronco tank there is enough space to get my hands in there w/o getting cut up too excessively. But I hear ya about the wiring, I always find ways to tidy mine up some, usually not needed but lousy wiring drives me nuts and with my 3-minute attention span and the amount of stuff I got in my truck neat wiring is essential to troubleshooting. Tis a never-ending quest tho better get used to it from now. Also do I spy wig-wags in the grille?

rjjp said:
I want more, but from a legal stand point, I'm already over the limit.

That's odd, AFAIK there ain't no upper limit on how many DOT-approved marker/clearance lights you can run. There is a lower limit but factory lighting covers it, so you can add to that but cannot subtract from it (which is why I leave factory lighting alone). Key word is DOT-approved, amber and red markers usually are OK, purple neons and other goofy stuff is a big no-no. From what I see in that picture you can safely at the least add more amber side markers...

Additionally I've been told by state troopers that there is also an upper limit on the number of headlights you can have turned on at any given time on public roads, you can line up your bumper w/ headlights and run around w/o covers on them (overhead lights require covers), but lord help you if you get caught using more than 6 of them at once, and whatever you're using better be either factory equipment or DOT approved (55w or less IIRC) aftermarket. I have enough lighting to play artificial sun, but I've never been given trouble - it ain't really about what you got but more about how you use it, if your equipment ain't faulty (headlights pointed into the sky and such) and you don't play king of the road w/ it all is good.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just put on the smoked black (but light up yellow LED) cab lights. Replaced the stock ones. My parking lights are blue LED, they look brighter than they are I think.
Danielle, IIRC federal law requires you to have amber reflectors on the front corners or the vehicle - clears corner usually ain't got those, this is strike #1. By law said corner lamps should also light up in amber - any different color and you get strike #2. To make matters worse, your corners actually light up in blue, a color reserved for law enforcement vehicles - strike #3. I'd hate to be the bearer of bad news since you obviously like what you've done w/ your truck, but the way it is now you're a rolling bear bait - you may never get pulled over, or you may get hit hard, tis a matter of luck and when it comes to stuff like that luck ain't never been on my side, lol. Ditch the blue LEDs for amber ones and you should be okay tho, the whole amber reflector thing seems to be more of a technicality than anything, besides bolting/gluing a pair of amber reflectors on the bumper ends should fix that and still allow you to run the clear corners.

Do tell more about those cab lights tho, where did you get them and for how much (if you don't mind sharing) and are they a direct bolt-on in place of the factory cab lights or do they require more holes to be drilled in roof skin? Oh, and what about their wiring, do they plug in the factory harness or they need hard-splicing? Mine are getting beat up by the sun, the time for replacing them is drawing near...

My own chicken lights: 6 times 9-LED recessed markers in my bumper plus 100W 6" driving lights
Sounds pretty good, but I can't see the pics - anyone else got the same problem? Also may I suggest that you add a pair of 55W driving lights as well, this way you can legally run them w/ other vehicles present, and you still got the 100W ones for dark and lonely country roads. I got me some big driving lights too, but they are way too obnoxious for use w/ other drivers in the vicinity, which is why I also have the smaller 55W ones - best of both worlds.

Last edited:

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
That's odd, AFAIK there ain't no upper limit on how many DOT-approved marker/clearance lights you can run. There is a lower limit but factory lighting covers it, so you can add to that but cannot subtract from it (which is why I leave factory lighting alone). Key word is DOT-approved, amber and red markers usually are OK, purple neons and other goofy stuff is a big no-no. From what I see in that picture you can safely at the least add more amber side markers...

Michigan state law allows for adding 1 amber fender or running board light to each side, 1 forward facing amber light and one rear facing amber or red light... Technically my mothers Mercury can have more lights than my F250 because it left the factory with more lights.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Michigan state law allows for adding 1 amber fender or running board light to each side, 1 forward facing amber light and one rear facing amber or red light... Technically my mothers Mercury can have more lights than my F250 because it left the factory with more lights.
And people say CA has weird laws LOL

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And people say CA has weird laws LOL

Eh, every state has those, many are so useless they ain't really enforced, but they are nevertheless active and could get you in trouble if you really **** the LEO off. But seriously, a rear facing AMBER light? What kind of idiot (a person full of ideas, right?) came up w/ that part? Bet if you line your truck up w/ amber lights all over but the rear you'll never get pulled over, but apply the letter of the law w/ amber rears and the first LEO who gets behind you at night will try to write you a ticket for it...

I have an idea tho - LED strips on the running boards, across the front bumper, and under the tailgate! Each of them is a single assembly, installs as one piece, and uses a single power source and ground - that ought to be good enough to satisfy both the letter of the law and your desire for more lighting. Just don't make parts of the front and rear LED strips blink w/ your turn signals, as that would make them more than one light. Personally I'd give this a shot, but only you know how p(r)icky LEOs are in your area...

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
Oh, I ain't worried about the E4OD, the first time it did the converter cycle on the interstate I put a diode after the BOO switch, all problems solved at once - wonder why the factory didn't do it, not like tis expensive or anything. A relay would achieve the same result as well. As for running the extra wiring, to be honest it could be worse - I could still have the factory rear tank, I could barely even see the harness next to the dang thing, now w/ Bronco tank there is enough space to get my hands in there w/o getting cut up too excessively. But I hear ya about the wiring, I always find ways to tidy mine up some, usually not needed but lousy wiring drives me nuts and with my 3-minute attention span and the amount of stuff I got in my truck neat wiring is essential to troubleshooting. Tis a never-ending quest tho better get used to it from now. Also do I spy wig-wags in the grille?

My projects usually run out of time so my wiring is still a mess...lol

Heres my strobes. The brake lights and another pair of ambers alternate on the rear. (Oh the fun you can have with diodes... :D)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41X49oxJBd0&list=UUFRceUdRN08bOFfIXRpWKSA&index=1&feature=plpp_video

Additionally I've been told by state troopers that there is also an upper limit on the number of headlights you can have turned on at any given time on public roads, you can line up your bumper w/ headlights and run around w/o covers on them (overhead lights require covers), but lord help you if you get caught using more than 6 of them at once, and whatever you're using better be either factory equipment or DOT approved (55w or less IIRC) aftermarket. I have enough lighting to play artificial sun, but I've never been given trouble - it ain't really about what you got but more about how you use it, if your equipment ain't faulty (headlights pointed into the sky and such) and you don't play king of the road w/ it all is good.

I was a little confused by this as well.

I wish those idiots with purple, blue, green, and other front side markers would get a ticket for it....and the idiots with purple headlights...

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
Sounds pretty good, but I can't see the pics - anyone else got the same problem? Also may I suggest that you add a pair of 55W driving lights as well, this way you can legally run them w/ other vehicles present, and you still got the 100W ones for dark and lonely country roads. I got me some big driving lights too, but they are way too obnoxious for use w/ other drivers in the vicinity, which is why I also have the smaller 55W ones - best of both worlds.

Fixed... I do need to take some better pictures in the deep night. The 100 watters are technically not street legal, but I have them pointed in such a way that I only got flashed once when I was passing someone in the left lane. As long as I shut them off if I pass and run in the right lane the rest of the time, no one seems to care. The left fog is pointed at the middle of the road directly in front of me. The right fog is pointed just to the right of the fog line and into the ditch so I can see critters at night. I know it's still not legal and you're totally right about the 55 watters, but I do try to be as courteous as possible about it.

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I took almost all the amber off. Not a fan. My truck doesn't go through NJ inspection at all (older than 1996 and diesel) and not too worried about a ticket, with all of the rice burner race cars in this area with blue or red or green instead of amber.

There are still two amber 194 parking bulbs on the corners, but hard to see in the picture. I am probably going to get rid of those also, but right now that truck has more important things on the list haha.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Eh, every state has those, many are so useless they ain't really enforced, but they are nevertheless active and could get you in trouble if you really **** the LEO off. But seriously, a rear facing AMBER light? What kind of idiot (a person full of ideas, right?) came up w/ that part? Bet if you line your truck up w/ amber lights all over but the rear you'll never get pulled over, but apply the letter of the law w/ amber rears and the first LEO who gets behind you at night will try to write you a ticket for it...

I have an idea tho - LED strips on the running boards, across the front bumper, and under the tailgate! Each of them is a single assembly, installs as one piece, and uses a single power source and ground - that ought to be good enough to satisfy both the letter of the law and your desire for more lighting. Just don't make parts of the front and rear LED strips blink w/ your turn signals, as that would make them more than one light. Personally I'd give this a shot, but only you know how p(r)icky LEOs are in your area...

Technically, if I have red running lights on the rear, I can have amber brake lights.

Midwest_Mudder

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Heres my strobes. The brake lights and another pair of ambers alternate on the rear. (Oh the fun you can have with diodes... :D)

I was a little confused by this as well.

I wish those idiots with purple, blue, green, and other front side markers would get a ticket for it....and the idiots with purple headlights...

blinky lights count? ill have a video up soon.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dieselcrawler said:
it wont fit broncos. the roof it different.
I alwasys thought the front of the bronco cab is identical to that of the pickup trucks, at least around the windshield...

Matrix37495 said:
Heres my strobes. The brake lights and another pair of ambers alternate on the rear. (Oh the fun you can have with diodes... )
Aye, diodes are god's gift to the aftermarket lighting installer. By the way, did you know Ford uses diodes w/ spade ends in underhood fuse boxes of many newer vehicles? They look sorta like a fuse, only are solid black in color, and one of the legs is turned sideways so you physically can't plug it in place of a fuse. Well, they also say "diode" on them, and have the symbol to indicate current flow direction cast in their body (as opposed to just printed w/ ink), and they come in different sizes too. IMHO those are perfect for our purposes since you don't have to solder them inline, just use suitably-sized space connectors.

Matrix37495 said:
Shhh, don't let Danielle hear ya! lol But purple headlights ain't nothing, as a kid I remember seeing a freshly-imported Porsche running around w/ RED headlights - that only lasted about a month, he ended up in a head-on collision w/ a big ol logging tractor trailer while trying to pass someone on a 2-lane road - trucker only went through town once a week and lived way out in the boonies so the gossip about the new "fancy" car in town never reached him, he never realized what he sees in front of him ain't two tail lights till it was too late! Oddly enough I ended up driving for him outta high school, he still had that Porsche-killer tractor at the time, complete w/ battle scars in the form of slightly deformed bull bars.

Silver Burner said:
Fixed... I do need to take some better pictures in the deep night. The 100 watters are technically not street legal, but I have them pointed in such a way that I only got flashed once when I was passing someone in the left lane. As long as I shut them off if I pass and run in the right lane the rest of the time, no one seems to care. The left fog is pointed at the middle of the road directly in front of me. The right fog is pointed just to the right of the fog line and into the ditch so I can see critters at night. I know it's still not legal and you're totally right about the 55 watters, but I do try to be as courteous as possible about it.
Looks like you got same ambers like what I'm running on the 600, 2" or whatever trucker things right? Looks pretty dang good, simple and efficient and not overdone at all. About the lights aiming, I can't do that, I mean I can but I won't - I spend way too much time on empty desolate roads to be willing to sacrifice visibility towards the left side - horizontally I aim my lights as if I'll be driving down the divider line w/ no one around for miles, then I use the vertical aim to adjust for distance and blinding effect - with other drivers present I only use the two small lights on the bottom of the bumper, and to be honest even when I'm alone I rarely run the big ones, factory headlights with the relays mod and Slvania XV bulbs seem to put out quite enough light for my driving habits. Never even been flashed at, but I've been asked by LEOs how I can resist the temptation to use the high-power ones, lol - simple, do unto others as you would have them do unto you, or however that quote goes.

Danielle said:
Yeah, I took almost all the amber off. Not a fan. My truck doesn't go through NJ inspection at all (older than 1996 and diesel) and not too worried about a ticket, with all of the rice burner race cars in this area with blue or red or green instead of amber.
That is entirely your decision to make, and I respect your choice - I actually have no problem w/ white, light blue or even green corners on the front, tis them misaligned fake HIDs w/ the hardcore glare that **** me off - what ya got there is fine in my book, I was just warning ya about potential unnecessary flack you may catch about it, that's all.

rjjp said:
Technically, if I have red running lights on the rear, I can have amber brake lights.
Goodness, I rest my case. LMAO!

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score

Holy crap. I am pretty sure in nova scotia, you can run 5000 lights if you want, but the just all better work!!

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I WANT amber turn signals in the rear. Or something really LARGE telling people I am turning. I really hate the set up that exists now. I am putting on the LED tail bar light thingie along the bottom. Even when I am behind a Ford E or F it's not easy tell if they're turning, especially since most have brake lights out or parking out and.... arg haha