Chicken lights

fuelscrew

Diesel Addict
Reaction score
they called them chicken lights cause back then haulin frozen chicken paid the most money so they could afford extra marker lights and chrome accesories. chicken money =more chicken lights. atleast thats what my gran daddy told me.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What would be the correct process? Sorry for the dumb question just want to do it right.

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
Mock up...

You must be registered for see images attach

Cab lights come with a foam gasket that seals the light to the roof. Some people use some silicone in addition as another step. Just take your time and get all the holes exactly right and make sure the gasket is in place and you wont have leaks. :)

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
How well do the HF lights conform to the cab? I only ask because I know a few light assemblies don't match the roof line all that well.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be lying if I said that I don't like the looks of chicken lights, but OTOH, there's something to be said for keeping a low profile. I have to try to find a happy medium between the two :D I'm planning to put a headache rack on my truck at some point (either bolted to the bed or as part of a flatbed; not certain yet which direction I'm going) and I want to put brake/signal and reverse lights on it :D and am also planning to mount turn signals on the mirror brackets at some point...I did this on my old van and really liked it. Shame I don't have any pics of that...

Since I pulled the lumber rack off last October, my truck only has the stock lights at the moment...but, here's what she looked like with the lumber rack and chicken lights :angel: (sorry for the blurry pic; didn't have a tripod at the time and that camera sucked)

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I think the name CHICKEN LIGHTS came from the WEIGH STATIONS, truckers call them the CHICKEN COUP. Ya better have all the lights working on those big rigs, or your subject to a ticket or warning ticket if even one is out. Revenue, ya know.

100% true. If even ONE light is out, and the inspector is having a bad day...the truck can be put out of service...although you'd have to do something INCREDIBLY stupis to be yanked off the road for a light out.

Improper equipment - lights. I can show you proof of this with DOT reports on trucks I drove.

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
flaresidethun said:
How well do the HF lights conform to the cab? I only ask because I know a few light assemblies don't match the roof line all that well.

Very well actually. The base has a slight curve to it which matched my roof if I put it right at the edge of the bevel that is right above the windsheild.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The biig problem with dot is even if it is an add on light it has to work,our drivers used to get warnings and fix it tickets at Evergreen all the time, we took off all the added crap lights and went with just required. No more tickets.

I dont mind cab lights, but you can keep the others.
Also if you want a side marker that blinks just wire it across the turn wire and the taillight wire, when one is on it will be on or if the blinker is on it will blink, if lights are on and blinker on it still blinks cause it sees 12 volts on both sides and turns off and on with the turn sig.

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
Also if you want a side marker that blinks just wire it across the turn wire and the taillight wire, when one is on it will be on or if the blinker is on it will blink, if lights are on and blinker on it still blinks cause it sees 12 volts on both sides and turns off and on with the turn sig.

I did that with my factory side markers. just cut the ground wire and wire it to the turn sig wire and it will flash with the turn sig (if parking lights are off) or opposite the turn sig (if parking lights are on).

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
Got my cab lights installed....

Also got all but 3 of my running lights on a fused relay now. They seem a bit brighter... :D

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the "slick top" look in the daytime. biggest reason why I went with visor lights.

Attachments

• SL370488.JPG
    SL370488.JPG
    291.2 KB · Views: 126

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online