Carrier Pump Group Buy

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
thank you Doug.;Sweet

does anyone have a good quality pressure regulator to recommend?
how will the pump handle being reduced down to approx half it's pressure of 4.5-5 psi?

i ask because:
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=34636&highlight=FACET+DURALIFT
"A rough way to remember it is about a 1 pound change results in about a quarter of a degree at idle."
so 6 lbs over 5 (with a max 11 psi from this pump) could roughly = 3/4 advanced of a degree at idle.
i don't want another degree of advance on top of a cold start with timing advance already on.she's already got enough rattle to 'er and id like to keep my glow plugs.;).

I don't think anyone with one of these pumps is using a regulator. I have a gauge on mine and it's running within the 7 or 8 psi max range, and it goes down a bit under WOT. And let me know when the pump shows up. ;Sweet

Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Vertical mounting is
preferred to assure maintenance of rated pressures."

vertical mounting is preferred according to duralift to maintain it's pressure.
i just mounted mine horizontally on the fender.anyone else do this,or am i asking for trouble?
for those who run alternate fuels and run it so it pushes,you didn't mount it vertically down there on the frame rail did ya?
since it has pressure higher than we need,im guessing this should be a non issue for our applications,cus so what if it drops a couple lbs even below 9 psi right (id prefer it did actually?)
anyone with a fuel pressure gauge mount one laying down,such as on the fender/frame rail and like to share the results?

Another nice advantage these Carrier/Duralift pumps have is the pre filter screen/ water separator bowl. You can easily see when it needs cleaning and the screen catches a ton of stuff that would be clogging up your main filter so it extends your main filter life by an insane amount ( dang near too long, last one was good for so long, I finally changed it before going on a long trip for the heck of it and I had a time getting that thing off LOL

yeah.what the heck lol?
how did you unscrew the thing without braking it? i tried,and just stopped.figured i best ask and find out what the trick was first.
thanks.

DOH.never mind.found it:
What I've found works real nice is one of those big oil filter pliers for getting the thing off, put it on by hand, doesn't need to be very tight.

attachment.php

ok thats interesting.looks like you need to unbolt the pump so you can lift it up a bit when you need to clean the screen/bowl out though?
better ideas than i could come up with though lol.that's where i tried first too,but it was too hard to hold the bolts too.a good bracket like that is just the trick.
hopefully it just works fine mounted horizontally though,as the fender is even easier.

these things scream high quality.just what i was after.
good bye MR.Gasket cheap junk.....i wont miss ya.:D
(1 year and 20k miles on the mr gasket #12D diesel rated fuel pump,and then it just didn't work the other day.for those interested in what i guess goes for $55 today on amazon now.i payed 45 last year.i thought decent enough if it would last 3-4 years.but no good.likely made in China like most things today sadly.)

Attachments

• Dura-lift_sheet.pdf
    70 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
So...I got mine and it has itty bitty inlets and outlets. I got the pipe fittings of 1/8" at the store for it and will start the install tomorrow. But the difference in fuel is like o to O.

What did you guys do to adjust your fuel lines? I am gong to run the 3/8" (I think that is what the supply is) on both sides of the pump. I think that is also how the fuel pressure stay's in check.

Anyone?

SWS

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was looking at how to wire the e-pump and I may just connect the relay to the wire that goes to the front fuel gauge (wvo tank)-

the only question I had is if this will switch over ok because it sends a different electric current through it based on where the fuel level is.
I dont want the e-pump running all the time(may not be a big deal though)

I will be using the oem mech. fuel pump for the rear tank.

well,this is an old question,that of course wont be of much use to the guy who asked,but for those who else may want to know;
you will not want to wire your e-pump to the wires going to the FSV,because when you switch tanks,the polarity becomes reversed.what will this pump do? try and run backwards? i don't think so,cus it has "Reverse Polarity Protection".
nothing beats just running a direct line off the battery-into a fuse-into a relay-triggering the relay to open the power from the battery to the pump with a "key on" source,like the FSS or fuel heater line for examples.
or a switch to open the relay if you'd rather.

Its about the size of a pack of cigarettes--for those of you old enough to remember.

ummm.its closer to the size of a carton of smokes than it is to a pack.:)

Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So...I got mine and it has itty bitty inlets and outlets. I got the pipe fittings of 1/8" at the store for it and will start the install tomorrow. But the difference in fuel is like o to O.

What did you guys do to adjust your fuel lines? I am gong to run the 3/8" (I think that is what the supply is) on both sides of the pump. I think that is also how the fuel pressure stay's in check.

Anyone?

SWS

i ran to autozone and grabbed two 1/8 pipe fitting to 5/16 barbed fittings.
5/16 seems to be what the latter idi trucks used from and to the tanks.
i ditched all my original lines when i first got the truck and have dual 5/16 nylon (rubber) fuel lines run.
i think the 80's trucks used 3/8 for delivery and 5/16 return-or visa versa,don't recall.someone will have to verify for ya,or you'll just know which is which tomorrow when you look.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
"Vertical mounting is
preferred to assure maintenance of rated pressures."

vertical mounting is preferred according to duralift to maintain it's pressure.
i just mounted mine horizontally on the fender.anyone else do this,or am i asking for trouble?
for those who run alternate fuels and run it so it pushes,you didn't mount it vertically down there on the frame rail did ya?
since it has pressure higher than we need,im guessing this should be a non issue for our applications,cus so what if it drops a couple lbs even below 9 psi right (id prefer it did actually?)
anyone with a fuel pressure gauge mount one laying down,such as on the fender/frame rail and like to share the results?

yeah.what the heck lol?
how did you unscrew the thing without braking it? i tried,and just stopped.figured i best ask and find out what the trick was first.
thanks.

DOH.never mind.found it:

attachment.php

ok thats interesting.looks like you need to unbolt the pump so you can lift it up a bit when you need to clean the screen/bowl out though?
better ideas than i could come up with though lol.that's where i tried first too,but it was too hard to hold the bolts too.a good bracket like that is just the trick.
hopefully it just works fine mounted horizontally though,as the fender is even easier.

)
No need to unbolt the pump. I made the bracket with enough room to be able to just pull the bowl off after twisting the threads off. Cleaning teh screen is a breeze ( or at least it was, I've since moved it now that I have two of the things, one per tank. THat was done as a backup system for extensive travelling so I wouldn't have to worry about road repairs, but I found the underhood draw location to work best as that pump prefers to pull the fuel)

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
well she runs great laying down or standing up.i unbolted it and stood it up and didn't notice any difference.though i don't have a fuel pressure gauge to know if it lost a psi or two.not that it matters i guess.i went up a nice big hill and no signs of of under fueling.:D
didn't have anything for load on her,but i did have the plow on.
i foresee no issues with her laying down.
at first i was a little worried because the fuel bowl didn't fill up.i guess it can't with our open systems? or it's not suppose to fill the bowl no matter what anyway perhaps?
the only reason i find this odd,is because no one else seems to have ask about this here.
stood up or laying down,made no difference.
everyone else see's the same thing i hope? only like an inch or so (if you have it mounted vertically) deep with fuel in there right?
i love having this thing up in the engine bay.so nice.
you can tell these pumps are made/work differently than just a run of the mill type pump.these have a very different sound to them.

Last edited:

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Thanks for the pix. I am going to try to find some way to match the 1/8" setup to the 3/8" stuff and put it in the engine compartment. Thinking about near the firewall on the fender where they almost meet. I hope it will move enough oil at 60* to make it start.

SWS

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
when talking "oil" do just mean diesel?
cus if you read back (pretty sure its in this thread.if not i read it in others) that,those who run waste motor oil,burned up their pumps by making them lift the heavy stuff.
they moved them down on the frame rail to push it,and these work fine.
just in case this is your plans,and you missed that.
i hope someone replies about the small amount of fuel in the bowl/filter soon,to put my mind at rest here lol.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
still no replies back about the fuel bowl only filling up part way?
ok.you guys are making me nervous now.
can someone tell me if this is normal or not please? :)

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Soooo...the guys who were running the WMO had a heavy mix of oil and burned up their pumps? And then they ran them down on the frame and all was okay or they needed to run them there to push the oil?

SWS

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
still no replies back about the fuel bowl only filling up part way?
ok.you guys are making me nervous now.
can someone tell me if this is normal or not please? :)

It will only fill up part way with the pump on it's side because the outlet port is near the middle of the pump. In the vertical position the bowl has to fill up for the fuel to reach the outlet port which is now above the bowl. So pretty normal.