Can't get cooling system clean

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or petcocks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Ditch the stock block drains for some petcocks. Makes draining the block a breeze.

Other suggestion, get a coolant filter. I prefer one that is precharged with DCA/SCA. It clears the junk out of the coolant and keeps it treated at the same time.

Heath

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heath makes a good point. I have been running a coolant filter on my 2004 6.0 since I got it. I could NOT believe how much crap was in a new engine. I use a filter that does not have DCA/SCA additives as I run a 6.0 diesel.

1983idi

Reaction score
Yeah I unfortunatly got stuck with the crappy 1/4" Square drive internal plugs and now rather than 1/4 square they are a 1/4" round hole. I have petcocks already as I planned on replacing them. Looks like i will just flush with a hose and distilled water then add the coolant, not enough room to drill them out for me. My luck i'd hit the threads and have to tap a bigger hole. I would be a mess for sure. Thanks for all the replies

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are extractor sockets made for allen head internal type fasteners. You MIGHT get one to bite in there.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
I agree with getting some VC9 from the ford dealer. That is a flush made specifically for flushing out rust and junk.

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Fleetcharge has a filter that is offered which, supposedly allows you to never change your coolant. I'll probably look into that next.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another route to consider, MB uses citric acid to clean diesel cooling systems. Worth investigating, it's rather cheap.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are extractor sockets made for allen head internal type fasteners. You MIGHT get one to bite in there.
I got mine out using a set of Easy-Outs:

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-5-pc...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CNDr98ueidQCFcxrfgodMUYDXA

This was 13 years ago now, but IIRC I had to hammer them in to the hole to get a bite good enough to not strip, and the plugs STILL threw a royal hissey-fit coming out.

Penetrating oil would help; if you can get some Aero-Kroil, that would be best.

That, plus a fair amount of elbow grease, ought to do it. Maybe also try getting a torch in there and heat up the plug?

Good luck!

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^agree. Tho it's gonna take a bunch of heat to do any good. Cast iron lump of an engine block, and so on

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online