Can't get cooling system clean

1983idi

Reaction score
So I've been flushing my cooling system for a while now. Probably gone thru 80 gallons of water. First I flushed with tap water and then I flushed with distilled water. Every time I flush it I pour until it comes out clear but them when I run it for a few days it turns to a rusty orange color. Do I just need to put the coolant in and call it good? Is the 100% water mixture rusting the block and causing that?

My biggest concern is that I got the Fleetcharge Coolant which comes with SCA's and was told that I need to make sure I have everything flushed out before I add it so the new coolant doesn't react with the old coolant. If there is orange crap am I not getting all the old coolant out?

Also block plugs are stripped out so the lowest points I can drain from are the 9/16 plug thats on the coolant tube elbow above the oil filter and the lower radiator hose and radiator drain ****

Thanks in advance for any help

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
If its coming out rusty orange then I imagine that is rust. Last I knew, you shouldn't leave pure water in for more than it takes to cycle it through the engine which should happen inside of an hour I would imagine. When I flushed my coolant system, I ran about 20 gallons of water through it in a day and filled it with a 50/50 mix of Fleetcharge SCA precharge, same as yours. Previous owner had green stuff in it before me, Water was coming out pretty clean in 2 flushes within a couple hours.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You will NEVER be able to flush out a rusty system with water. You Must use a good quality coooling system cleaner flush. Yes... Tap water will cause the rust but distilled really does not.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go buy a couple quarts of VC9 from a ford dealership. Follow instructions to the dot and it'll get your cooling system completely clean. I've used it with excellent results. It's not cheap but the only flush that actually works as advertised.

1983idi

Reaction score
You will NEVER be able to flush out a rusty system with water. You Must use a good quality coooling system cleaner flush. Yes... Tap water will cause the rust but distilled really does not.

I did use 4 bottles of prestone flush trying to clean it out. Maybe that stuff is junk tho. Is the VC9 Compatable with older copper radiators?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah without popping block plugs its a matter of a slow dilution process of gunk trapped lower than what you can drain out.

GET THOSE CORKS OUT!!!

JM7.3CW Eh!

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^^ +1, I was just about to post same. You'll never get a full drain/flush without using the block drains.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had the same problem in my truck, if you can get the block plugs out it will go much faster, also if youre tired of the process, vinegar was the only thing that cleaned my system out perfect, you can also get the heater hose attachment that allows you to run a water hose on it. If you leave the water hose on with the truck off and leave one other opening for water to run out this can work quite well to get the big stuff.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
By strip out, do you mean that they are broken? If the threads are stripped, you have a leak.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You probably have to drill a hole through them and then use an Easy Out. It will make a mess.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not pull the freeze plugs on these. They are not your normal freeze plugs. Use a good 6pt socket on the drain plugs.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would not pull the freeze plugs on these. They are not your normal freeze plugs. Use a good 6pt socket on the drain plugs.
Thats the drain plugs we are talking about...

If you stripped em...drill em easy out em...but use propane torch around em too..this may hellp loosen em....might.

Gitterdun

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Had the same problem in my truck, if you can get the block plugs out it will go much faster, also if youre tired of the process, vinegar was the only thing that cleaned my system out perfect, you can also get the heater hose attachment that allows you to run a water hose on it. If you leave the water hose on with the truck off and leave one other opening for water to run out this can work quite well to get the big stuff.

Using something to force water into the system like a hose is the right proper way to do it, much quicker too.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the drain plugs, it depends on what kind of plugs they are. I've seen hex external (like a bolt head) and square internal, even mix & match on the same truck. If it's an external. one of the extractor socket products (Irwin Bolt-Grip, Craftsman Bolt-Out, etc) would be the thing to try. That, and have new plugs at the ready....