Bumper hitch rating

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
I know I won't like the answer, but I'm going to ask anyhow. What do you think the bumper is rated for on my truck? It seems to be integral to the bed. It also has a pintle cover deal on it. It looks pretty heavy duty.

You must be registered for see images attach

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Given that that's not a factory bumper, there's no real way to tell unless the max loading has been stamped into the bumper somewhere (which it should be, but doesn't necessarily mean it was). Factory bumper hitches are typically rated very weak (something like 2,000/200 lbs trailer/tongue weight), but with this being aftermarket, it could be stronger... :dunno

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd tow a log splitter with it. Anything else belongs on a receiver hitch. Looks like that right corner bent pretty easily...

hairyboxnoogle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have the same brand of service bed on a 96 dodge at work. it pulls a single wheel tandem dump trailer all the time with up to 5-6 yards of rock in it just fine.

But looking at it again, the bumper on it seems more built into the bed on ours, it doesnt hang down low like yours does. If you can, load it up real heavy and see how much it flexes the bumper, that will tell alot better than a picture i think. But since it has a 2" ball insert i would suspect its good up to at least a V5 rating. 500/5000

Also, keep in mind the rust, looks like its getting at it pretty bad.

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
I had to work pretty hard to get that corner to bend that far. LOL I will look for a rating on it somewhere but will most likely install a hitch. Thanks for the insight.

7.3 powerstrok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
those pintel -ball combo hitch is rated at 5-8 ton ..first thing to check is the 4 bolts that mount the hitch ,they need to be be be grade 8 bolts w/lock nuts .the bumper plate its mounted to is a good guideline as to the thicker the plate the heaver haul .minium of 3/16 .next the thickness of the supports attatching the bumper to the truck frame.do not tow anything until certain the bumper/frame/hitch mounting bolts are grade 8 bolts ,also check mounting for rusted or missing bolts . each side of the bumper should be mounted with at least 3-grade 8 7/16 or larger bolts .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online