Realistic "B50" rating for a 7.8L New Holland Brazil?

Tarh331_Dad

Reaction score
Does anyone have any thoughts on a realistic [Real World conditions] expectation for the "B50" rating on the old Brazilian New Holland 7.8L diesels?

The "B50" rating is the mileage point at which 50% of all engines of that particular make & model would require a complete overhaul.

For instance, back in the day, International would claim that the DT466 had a B50 rating of 500,000 miles [but that was before the cavitation disaster with the DT466E ruined International's reputation].

I've been looking at a lot of the old F600/F700/F800/F900 medium duty rigs, and many of them will have either the 6.6L or 7.8L Brazilian New Holland engines, but I have no sense of how many miles I can expect out of them.

For instance, if I invested in one of those medium duty trucks, with, say, a 7.8L motor and 100,000 miles on the odometer, and if I treated the truck reasonably gently, then should I expect to have a pretty good chance of driving it out towards 300,000 miles, without too many really nasty problems?

This will be gentle, COLD driving; nothing involving super hot turbos which would degrade the motor's structural integrity.

Thanks for any insights!!!

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I regard them as durable as the cummins 6BT/6CT.

IMHO, some of the support and parts market has fallen off because ford dropped them around 93... nearly 30 years ago now. Find the same ford MDT you're describing in 94+ and its a cummins in most cases.

Tarh331_Dad

Reaction score
I regard them as durable as the cummins 6BT/6CT.

IMHO, some of the support and parts market has fallen off because ford dropped them around 93... nearly 30 years ago now. Find the same ford MDT you're describing in 94+ and its a cummins in most cases.

So you feel like the New Holland Brazils can make it to 300,000 if they're driven conservatively [no turbo, no racing, no sled pulls], just taking it easy at 60MPH, cruising down the highway?

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Yes, that's my feeling on them. A buddy of mine drove truck at a cheese wholesaler years ago where they ran a few ford CF cabovers with those engines. Also my local marina has a f700 with one. They seem to take the miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online