Bringing the old girl back to life

Jimmylb01

Reaction score
I have been looking over this forum for a while, I bought a 1984 ford F250 to bring back to life, that and could not pass up a $600 truck. The old girl did not run when I bought her, the previous owner said the injection pump had went out, but seeing as she was tagged and inspected, I figured I could get her pack to life. Well with my work being out in west Texas and the truck being in Tyler don't get much time to work on her. So far I have bought a new IP, but going to wait to install it till I get the fuel system worked out. (PO was running red diesel in it, and hoses don't look to good) So this is my introduction to the forum. Being that I have been a diesel mechanic the last seven years I feel I have the tools to rebuild her. I have noticed that everyone on here does share a wealth of information. My overall goal is to build just a reliable truck that the kids can use for school, figured they could not get in much trouble in an old ford truck (especially a diesel). Hopefully this thread will be my build thread and I'll post pictures along the way. I welcome all comments and info because I know many of you have more knowledge that I do, that I could always use. Thanks and I'll update what is being done along the way.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome! There are several things to look at before you change IPs. It might be as simple as the fuel shutoff solenoid not getting power. Look around. Read the stickies if you haven't already....especially the hall of shame...it will save you money and grief.

Good luck!

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Welcome! There are several things to look at before you change IPs. It might be as simple as the fuel shutoff solenoid not getting power. Look around. Read the stickies if you haven't already....especially the hall of shame...it will save you money and grief.

Good luck!

How many miles on it?
you say it's a "New" pump where did you get it?
if it's got 160.000 or more miles Ip and injectors are due for a change.

Jimmylb01

Reaction score
I am trying to get a few pictures uploaded of the truck. I bought the injection pump from US Diesel. I did troubles shoot the old IP before pulling it of to make sure that was the issue. I don't have the mileage of the truck right now as it is in Tyler. My plan was to replace the injectors, and do the return line kit, as well as convert to the 7.3 glow plugs and controller.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
WElcome to the forum. There is plenty of very good advice here. Best advice is when working on the fuel system keep it clean. Any dirt getting into the injection pump or injectors will ruin it. Tollerances are closer than a half a thousands in most areas. Before removing parts take pics with you cell phone. It has helped many when they had questions working on these engines. When I was rebuilding my engine I forgot if I bolted down the oil pump suction line to the number 3 main bearing but had taken pics. Looked over the pics and saw the nut was in place. Saved me from removing the oil pan. Its not possible to ask a silly question here so please ask. This forum will not make fun of questions.

Jimmylb01

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Here is a pic of the old beast, need a good name for here any suggestions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online

Members online