BlackStone Report Not What Expected.

[email protected]

Reaction score
I long gave up on worrying about the reports, if I did I would lose sleep and my truck would quit the next day. But, I still get the reports to see if I have oil or antifreeze in them. Here is my most recent report, gosh, I don't know why this thing is still running....

Wayne

Attachments

• C95913.pdf
    37.4 KB · Views: 14
  • D70193.pdf
    18.7 KB · Views: 11

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Me too! My truck had a report where the lead was at 103ppm! It still runs, has good oil pressure and uses little to no coolant, and the coolant it does use is due to bad hoses/loose hoses. Oh yeah that bad lead report was over 35,000 miles and 4 years ago.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm running straight #2 Diesel. No waste oil blends. I wonder if my idle time is playing a role. I have a ISSPRO TTM (wow.....the price on that thing has sky-rocketed....I paid $125 for mine). It idles the truck until the EGT's are 250 degrees. Most of the time that takes 0.5-1.5 minutes. If I've heat soaked the pistons with high RPM (2500-2700) highway driving...it can take 2-3 minutes. It's not much and I honestly doubt it's an issue, but just a thought.:dunno

We'll I'm still leaning more toward the "breaking in" theory. Yes, the holes are bored 20 thousands over.......would've sleeved if I knew better......was an IDI baby then and didn't do it right. No cavitation then or yet. I've keep the DCA levels at the high end of "normal" with a 8 unit precharged filter. Hope it last 200,000 or 300,000 more mile.;Sweet

Heath

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Heath, with all due respect, I wouldn't worry too much about it at this point. Drive it and enjoy it.;Sweet

LA350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Typical component break-in is 250 hours.

Remember 1 sample does not make a trend ok? 1 sample is a baseline. I wouldn't worry too much about the Pb until one finds out what the elemetal breakdown of the Lucus oil treatment is, Pb may be an additive. Also, is this the first O/C since your intial rebuild? If so that is why your Fe And Pb is elevated.

Also, Fe and Pb are not the only metals associated with bearings. Cu and Sn (Copper and Tin) are also elements associated with bearings as is Vanadium. In fact, Fe, Cr, V and/or Mg make up M50 bearing material but Blackstone doesn't test for V but does for Ba? Strange. But I digress.

Typical Visc for Rotella @ 100*C is 15.6 Cst. The Lucus may have tightened up the oil to 19+ Dunno seems kinda high to me.

As for the High soot reading, It looks like Blackstone is using a the patch test which can be subjective to evaluate. A better test would be the FT-IR (Fourier-Transform Infra-Red) method. This isn't a knock against Blackstone btw as it is a valid test but it can be subjective. A simple way to perform this test @ home is to obtain some blotter paper form and arts & craft store. Out line or stamp a .50 piece or silver dollar sized circle onto the paper. Take an large butterfly paperclip or similar sized guage wire and dip 2" of the end into the used oil and remove. Touch the end of the oil soaked wire onto the center of the circle. Wait 15 minutes then look at the spots. Look for solids and poor dispersancy of the oil. Good dispersancy is a lacy-like spread.

If you are truely worried a TBN or Total Base Number test would confirm the soot. Rotella's TBN is 10 out of the can. A TBN lower than 5 would indicate the additive package/ acid fighting ability of the oil oil is done. Soot will lower the TBN and increase viscosity.

So there it is for what it is worth. I don't know where the soot could be coming from other than you didn't sleeve the cylinders and the new rings are only beginning to seat therefore allowing a small amount of blow-by past.

Attachments

• RotellaTCI-4CI-4.pdf
    207.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited: