BlackStone Report Not What Expected.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sent a sample to BlackStone last week. It was the 1st time I've used them. I noticed coolant on the #1 GP when I changed them out this winter and was worried I was might be mixed fluids.:eek:

Anyway, they found high lead and iron. That's worrisome for bearing wear.:dunno No coolant and no feul.;Sweet They also said the lucas increased the vescosity "considerably":confused:

Oil pressure has been normal.....I don't know.....Anyway, I'll watch it and see what the next analysis shows.

Heath

Last edited:

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
If you don't mind posting it , would you put it up so that I can compare to mine? My first they suspected coolant because of high potassium and sodium , in combo with the lead from the bearings...

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's my attempt at attaching the report......Hope it worked.

Heath

Attachments

• D70884.pdf
    17.4 KB · Views: 33

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Heath, refresh my memory. The motor was a fresh rebuild?
How many miles on rebuild. It may still be "breaking in".

On edit, noticed mileage, never sank in. Gotta stop remembring them campfire stories.:frustrate

Last edited:

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was my thinking as well. The motor was completely redone with the mistake of not sleeving the holes........:dunno Eh.....You live and learn. But, the bearings were all replaced, new pistons, new rings, new turbo.....:D

I drive it daily, but my drive to and from is short and only about 5-7 miles. The odometer show less than that, but I hope to fix the issue with the 1345 rebuilt.

Heath

I

Last edited:

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Gotta get it out and run it up to temps!
"Coffee shopping" it don't help em doc.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have to haul a lot with the truck, but I'll be bringing a lot of firewood to Bowling Green in a few months.;Sweet

Heath

Exekiel69

Reaction score
It depends on what oil You use too but mine where high iron and iron too and My IDI was a jasper rebuild. As I drove it more and more it slowly made it to normal readings. Haul something LOL

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heath I wouldn't worry about those numbers too much unless this is a trend and continues to go up. Have you been burning any WVO or WMO in this engine?

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Makes sense-I had a reman that used oil for somewhere around 30,000 miles when it slowed down on oil consumption my reports got better.By the way Heath,that 7.3 reman was bored 0.30 over (it was supposed to be sleeved) I had no cylinder problems.We found out when it was torn down after an oil cooling tube plugged and it scorched a piston. That was around 200,000 needless to say I was a tad angry.
From that expreience a properly maintained egnine that was good cavatation wise can last.It gave problems when I made the brilliant decision to go from Dino to synthetic oil.We feel it loosened some sludge or sumpin from an oil gallery or whatever and it would'nt go thru the cooling tube to the bottom of the piston.It did however run strong.

I finished it off in Washington Pa in 2004 ( what a day that was wound up in the Washington county hospital that night with a mild heart attack. Spent a couple days there -unloaded a car that I was hauling and drove it to Mousouri (it was the shippers idea for me to drive it home) Then had the truck and trailer towed to Oklahoma.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC Heath's engine is only bored .020" over so it should be good unless it was already cavitated or close before the overhaul. My only concern would be if the report was showing the early signs of cavitation.