BILLET ALUMINUM INJECTOR CAP PART 2

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I realize this is semi off topic, but I've had exactly what OldBull said... I was running straight limonene (Orange Peel Oil; and the same cleaning stuff in Gojo, Fast Orange, etc.) and it did the same thing. I cleaned my fuel system so well it cleaned the insulation right off the copper coils on the FSS. It took two to figure out what really was happening.
The coating is not very durable on the copper coils. I've got several FSS's laying around because I bought a lot of them just for spares (then never needed them) after I figured out it was the orange peel oil.

You can bet your sweet **** on that. There is two different kinds of Varnish on the coil wire, one is plain old varnish and the other is HI Varnish IIRC the name, been a long time ago since I wound coils and motors. But you can bet your **** they use the cheap wire on those coils. After the coil is wound and wrapped, it's dipped in varnish, the cheap crap.

Edit: Just came to me, it's "FormVar" the good stuff.

Last edited:

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
I realize this is semi off topic, but I've had exactly what OldBull said... I was running straight limonene (Orange Peel Oil; and the same cleaning stuff in Gojo, Fast Orange, etc.) and it did the same thing. I cleaned my fuel system so well it cleaned the insulation right off the copper coils on the FSS. It took two to figure out what really was happening.
The coating is not very durable on the copper coils. I've got several FSS's laying around because I bought a lot of them just for spares (then never needed them) after I figured out it was the orange peel oil.

Off topic question, but did your exhaust smell like oranges? Or does the extract not have the smell? i think that would be cool to smell oranges while the truck is running.

smokinpipes

Navistar Nut
Reaction score
Buddy, it smelled like a freshly squeezed Florida orange grove on a cool dewy morning :D

Tropicana stock rose about 30% that week doing my drive by advertising :rotflmao

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Buddy, it smelled like a freshly squeezed Florida orange grove on a cool dewy morning :D

Tropicana stock rose about 30% that week doing my drive by advertising :rotflmao

That's cool. Aside from it's solvent capabilities it sounds like a great fuel. If you had a mechanical FSS to install it would solve that issue though. Then you'd have to worry about the fuel lines.

smokinpipes

Navistar Nut
Reaction score
I was running the stock plastic lines and it didnt bother them, nor the o-rings or the olives. Just the FSS. I ended up just draining the tank, filled with #2, drove for a day, then put in 5 gallons to make a 25% mix and did that until i used it all up. (well i still have some floating around somewhere ... great camp fire starter)

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I worked at a place doing prototypes for the govt that were meant to operate in micro gravity, I used to hand anodize each part I milled out of Aluminum to have a consistent coating. Though time intensive that way (and nasty smelling) that coating was very durable and even held up to the bumbling hands of supervisors and QC. It's a great treatment for when you want to give a vital component some much needed protection.

I'll have to find the set of personal records I kept and find out exactly where I used to order that from. That's an exciting project you have!

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been getting a few questions bout the aluminum injector caps recently so I figured I should give an update about them.

My truck will turn 200,000 miles on my way to work today so that means I have 11750 miles on the aluminum caps right now. I have not touched them since I put them on no leaks no air intrusion they have been problem free. Its got up to about 100 and down to about 15 degrees outside since they have been on. I plug my truck in every day now that its cold and it needs to be plugged in to start on my wmo mix I run. Run glow plugs for 12 seconds and it will start with about 3-10 seconds of cranking. So the good news is hey seem to be working excellent!

Now for the rest of the story.
I make the caps on a nice little horizontal spindle CNC machine that at the time I made these I was running. Shortly after I had my first set made I was taken off of that machine and moved to a different machine and I have not been back to the HCNC yet. When I was on the HCNC it was easier to get little projects like this set up and running you could plan your day around an open table at the end of the day to work on your own little projects. I could make the caps on the machine I run now but that would add probably 15 min to a 25 min program so its just not time effective, I am on a big bridge mill now so everything is slower rapids and rpm it just takes longer.

I really want to make these for people they look like they will be a much better cap than the plastic ones everyone has. When I can I will make some and let everyone know.

JOHN

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Thanks for your time and effort so far. I had little to no doubt that the aluminum caps would work. You designed, manufactured and tested them to prove a great idea. Thanks for your time and commitment thus far. It seems the obstacle of mass manufacture is next as cost may be an obstacle as well.

Good luck!!!!

X-NRCan_IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about those caps the other day and wondering how they were working. Glad to hear they're still good! Hopefully mine last 'till you can start producing some again.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think...cost is NO object to end a problem...ONCE AND FOR ALL....

I'm in...Now I'm going to contact a friend whom has milling and lathe capability..

Maybe he can make me some billet brass caps...don't know.

Anyway you slice it...a good metal cap has to kick ass on plastic!

Al

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online