BILLET ALUMINUM INJECTOR CAP PART 2

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
I know im just a newb on here, but why dont you take your CAD/CAM file to another machine shop and have them make them for you?

I dont know your location, so this might not even be an option, but instead of doing it on government job time, you could pay to have them machined, mark them up a % for your time and all the work and innovation you put into coming up with the idea, and sell them that way.

Just a thought..

Sw1tchfoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it feasible to disregard the rubber hoses and have aluminum connecting the caps too?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I suppose aluminum hose "could" be made. Then you would have a complete header return line per side. You will still need the hose from the filter head then the one from the injection pump return too. So your still going to have some hoses on the return line system. Just not the ones from injecter to injecter.

swervyjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they were stainless, one could fuse the tubes between the caps. It would eliminate 12 potential leaks.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMHO having a RIGID system would not work, those lines offer fatigue resistance and cushion if you will to counter injector pulses which we cannot see and along with engine rattle and heat cooling cycle expansion and contraction.

If anything just use some hi quality hose and clamps...really it's a very low pressure system and once functioning correctly provides many miles of service.

Like many sub systems on autos, be it ignition wires, spark plugs glow plugs injectors etc, these parts do wear and do over time degrade and need replacement.

Whats the cost of a few feet of hose and the time to change out O rings and add new hose? Not that much after initial purchase of said caps! Easy maintenance nothing too difficult or expensive for sure.

Just my thoughts on the idea of a rigid system...

Al

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
I agree with you. A rigid system wouldn't allow for flex and over time it would stress the lines causing them to fatigue and break. The only other option would be to machine threaded studs allowing you to install stainless AN lines, but I think we are getting ahead of ourselves here. One step at a time, lets try to get these made first then you could work on improving the design if need be.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been getting a few questions bout the aluminum injector caps recently so I figured I should give an update about them.

My truck will turn 200,000 miles on my way to work today so that means I have 11750 miles on the aluminum caps right now. I have not touched them since I put them on no leaks no air intrusion they have been problem free. Its got up to about 100 and down to about 15 degrees outside since they have been on. I plug my truck in every day now that its cold and it needs to be plugged in to start on my wmo mix I run. Run glow plugs for 12 seconds and it will start with about 3-10 seconds of cranking. So the good news is hey seem to be working excellent!

Now for the rest of the story.
I make the caps on a nice little horizontal spindle CNC machine that at the time I made these I was running. Shortly after I had my first set made I was taken off of that machine and moved to a different machine and I have not been back to the HCNC yet. When I was on the HCNC it was easier to get little projects like this set up and running you could plan your day around an open table at the end of the day to work on your own little projects. I could make the caps on the machine I run now but that would add probably 15 min to a 25 min program so its just not time effective, I am on a big bridge mill now so everything is slower rapids and rpm it just takes longer.

I really want to make these for people they look like they will be a much better cap than the plastic ones everyone has. When I can I will make some and let everyone know.

JOHN

awesome stuff!!!
you did all of the R&D, did you by any chance get them paperworked?
if you hold the patent, you could out source them to a machine shop of your choice.
as a self employed machinist myself, i know for a fact its damn difficult to get a side project on any of my machines
while they are set up for production.
i only have 1 small CNC 2 axis gang tool lathe, or id be out there slapping down g-codes and M functions!
the only issue i see that could ever go wrong with these is oxidation, but with an anodized finish, they will outlast the truck itself!!!

i would love to buy a set, like everyone else:D
great job.;Sweet

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So.... is anybody gonna sell them?
not many people with 4 axis CNC's if youve ever ran a mill, you know how long these would take to do manually.

not to mention id place money, that only 1 guy in the entire world has this program.
altho the program isnt the hard part.

i think he gets the point ;Sweet

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The aluminum caps out lasted my engine. It is now drinking coolant. I put them on and never touched them. They work great but would be expensive to make and sell.
I make them at work in my free time but have very limited time.

If I was able to make and sell these they would probably cost $300 or more for a set of 8. There is a few hours of machine time and every one must be debured. Thats not an easy task either.

would anyone be willing to pay over $300 for a set of aluminum caps?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The aluminum caps out lasted my engine. It is now drinking coolant. I put them on and never touched them. They work great but would be expensive to make and sell.
I make them at work in my free time but have very limited time.

If I was able to make and sell these they would probably cost $300 or more for a set of 8. There is a few hours of machine time and every one must be debured. Thats not an easy task either.

would anyone be willing to pay over $300 for a set of aluminum caps?

Lets say you owned your truck for 15 years. and drove 50k a year

caps= 300.
anodizing= 100
viton O-rings& tubing = 30ish
these will last
the entire 15 years
for under 500 bucks.

75 dollars(61from Mel + shipping) for a return line system every 2 years.

and the cool factor PRICELESS.
i would buy these, it may take me 2-3 weeks to save up and or plan for them, but well worth it IMO

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never coated mine just put them on as raw aluminum. I can tell the salt likes them some are kinda ugly. Anodizing would be nice.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
besides, i plan on owning my truck the rest of my life, unless someone offers me 30 K plus :D

bottom line, they are awesome. and i would sell my first born(only because his truck needs work) for a set.