big hp idi

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
[/QUOTE] p.s.
i am not running anything from a chevy on my truck ever![/QUOTE]

Good to know since we have higher out put fuel pumps stock. Closed minded thinking doesn't get you very far.

Black dawg

Reaction score
p.s.
i am not running anything from a chevy on my truck ever![/QUOTE]

Good to know since we have higher out put fuel pumps stock. Closed minded thinking doesn't get you very far.[/QUOTE]
I guess I have never seen it anywhere, but do you know how much fuel a ds4 is capable of?

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stock it is 90cc and tuned 120 is possible with small tweaks.

Our db2 has over 70 cc and I have seen your db2s are only 40-50cc.

There has not been a 6.5 equipped with a modded db series pump on a dyno besides the 300hp drag truck and that truck moves faster than a 300hp truck.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does anyone know if the precups are up to the task of staying hot the entire time? i know it was dicussed awhile ago that one of the main drawbacks of the idi design is the waste of heat. mainly through the cylinder head. i am not talking about the engine coolant system, but the way we make power. i though the idea, and what i think we are talking about now, is to extend or produce more heat by increasing the injection event longer/bigger i.e. more fuel. i was talking to another forum/member, and read some interesting SAE and DOT papers on these designs to change or modify the existing precups. what i take from it that in order for the idi design to effiecent the pre combustion chamber must remain as hot as possible during the entire combustion process to the next to auto ignite the fuel for the next go around. by increasing the fuel to keep this temperature up. who knows if the precups are up for the task? the other meber seemed to think, and with good evidence to, the current form of the precups loose to much heat energy through the cylinder head itself. meaning it disapates the heat to much, and this kind of heat is what we need. this what makes power in the idi diesel world.

options that were talked about, and what he said "i am working on" was a new design of precup that had a sheild or layer of insulating metal between the precup and the head to keep that baby glowing hot the entire time. this might prevent precups from going bad without being in contact with two way different temperature surfaces and cracking. obvisouly this research seem a little out there for me, and sounds way expensive for custom made precup from some body. (who?)

the idea is theasable though. just at diesel power's article on piston desgin quoteing that a flat top diesel piston design like in our idi were the most efficent. unlike the direct injected diesel of modern trucks, who have to keep a very large precup in the piston hot with what i like to call a "pilot light" to run. they waste more fule for the power they run. thanks but ill keep my 7.3 anyday of the week.

as far mounting two pumps, i think we need to look at a couple of engine that have the oil fill/ timing cover gear drive off. mount two pumps low right up close to the cam gear would be awsome and cheap to retro fit, but would mean a custom intake manifold, which wouldnt be that bad.

p.s.
i am not running anything from a chevy on my truck ever!

My plan eventually is to ceramic coat the heads and precup area to get the effect of what you are talking about. I would think that would keep the heat in the cylinder a bit better and not let it go into the cooling system. I also want to a before and after dyno as well...

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stock it is 90cc and tuned 120 is possible with small tweaks.

Our db2 has over 70 cc and I have seen your db2s are only 40-50cc.

There has not been a 6.5 equipped with a modded db series pump on a dyno besides the 300hp drag truck and that truck moves faster than a 300hp truck.

Another thing I have thought about is actually using a Ds4 pump and using a Db2 mount the same way a Db2/Db4 hybrid works. I wonder if this is feasible at all? Granted it would take some programming but it would allow for more tuneability at the expense of simplicity though. I have seen some software that people are using to tune their 6.5 Chevy diesels in this manner as well.

Also a stock Db2 on an idi will produce 65-70cc as well. I believe they are set to around 50cc stock though.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha you got me. I just get so used to calling a Ford an IDI and a Chevy a 6.2/6.5. Lol

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a spare 6.5 in my shed that snapped the crank, might attempt a dual pump mock up. I would do it, it with about a 2-3" wide cogged belt with a rear main style seal on the timing shaft. The small part is what worries me most other than hood and air intake clearance.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just thought I would say my dads drag bike chopper has a clogged belt pushing 220hp on race gas with a 330 rear tire. He has never broke a belt an I would belt dropping the clutch on the bike is alot harder use than one on our trucks. Also the flywheel to trans has a mini clogged belt around 12in long an 4in wide what would be about perfect. S&S motor

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a spare 6.5 in my shed that snapped the crank, might attempt a dual pump mock up. I would do it, it with about a 2-3" wide cogged belt with a rear main style seal on the timing shaft. The small part is what worries me most other than hood and air intake clearance.

Got a spare Ds4? Lol. Is a Db2 on that Chevy? Or are you going to have to buy another Db2 to do the mock up?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't want to have two different pumps on a dual pump setup. This gets away from the "ease and least cost of ownership" objective for the dual pump setup. Running an extra gear in the gear box to change rotation, or using a belt setup is the way to go. As Corey stated, there are tons of production vehicles out there running injection pumps with a rubber drive belt.

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm tearing down now. This is the current plan since we are on the high HP IDI topic again.

New head gaskets w/ ARP studs. Updated valve seals. No head work unless necessary. Hypermax has some IDI valve train parts I'm curious about.
Cam (R&D IDI performance Stage 1)
Hybrid 093 turbo system (R&D IDI performance) w/ 3" turbine outlet/down pipe upgrade
Exhaust-3" down pipe to 4" straight (ATS/MBRP)
Intercooler (Banks Technicooler)
Custom air filter system. Not sure what it's going to be. I will figure it out when I get there.
Coolant filter
Injectors (Not sure what kind yet. Open to options)
Injection pump (Not sure if I will just turn up the running one I have or upgrade. Still making up my mind. Open to options.)
Upgraded lift pump system if needed.

I hope that's all for the engine. At least to start. Other power train upgrades planned for later.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a good start. What are your power goals? That will affect your choice of injection pump and injectors...

89greendiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm tearing down now. This is the current plan since we are on the high HP IDI topic again.

New head gaskets w/ ARP studs. Updated valve seals. No head work unless necessary. Hypermax has some IDI valve train parts I'm curious about.
Cam (R&D IDI performance Stage 1)
Hybrid 093 turbo system (R&D IDI performance) w/ 3" turbine outlet/down pipe upgrade
Exhaust-3" down pipe to 4" straight (ATS/MBRP)
Intercooler (Banks Technicooler)
Custom air filter system. Not sure what it's going to be. I will figure it out when I get there.
Coolant filter
Injectors (Not sure what kind yet. Open to options)
Injection pump (Not sure if I will just turn up the running one I have or upgrade. Still making up my mind. Open to options.)
Upgraded lift pump system if needed.

I hope that's all for the engine. At least to start. Other power train upgrades planned for later.

That's a good start. What are your power goals? That will affect your choice of injection pump and injectors...

ooooo, pick me! i want to make hp prediction numbers. Given there is no slipping transmission problems and tires aren't bald, lol, i say that you end up with 298 RWHP. Who's with me?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online