big hp idi

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Without details on IP and injectors I fail how any one person can predict any power levels. It does not make sense to toss numbers out willy nilly...

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a good start. What are your power goals? That will affect your choice of injection pump and injectors...

I really don't have a HP goal and I'm not going to predict one. I just know I wanted more and I felt that my fuel economy was suffering due to it needing a major tune up. It's going to be my work pickup, and I wanted to refresh the top end and make it run strong enough to pull whatever I want it to. A 3.55 gear swap is hopefully in the future to help my fuel economy. My thoughts being that with sufficient power I will not miss the 4.10's. I'm shooting for a balance of power, milage, longevity, and durability not necessarily in that order. I'm not trying to break any HP records or blow it up. I intend on putting a lot of miles on it in the near future and having an engine built to do what I need it to do.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Without details on IP and injectors I fail how any one person can predict any power levels. It does not make sense to toss numbers out willy nilly...

That is why I asked his goals. Knowing his goals will help him select an IP...

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really don't have a HP goal and I'm not going to predict one. I just know I wanted more and I felt that my fuel economy was suffering due to it needing a major tune up. It's going to be my work pickup, and I wanted to refresh the top end and make it run strong enough to pull whatever I want it to. A 3.55 gear swap is hopefully in the future to help my fuel economy. My thoughts being that with sufficient power I will not miss the 4.10's. I'm shooting for a balance of power, milage, longevity, and durability not necessarily in that order. I'm not trying to break any HP records or blow it up. I intend on putting a lot of miles on it in the near future and having an engine built to do what I need it to do.

It sounds like you will be able achieve those goals easily. I look forward to seeing the build!

idibeast

Reaction score
Alright guys its time to stop talking and get building, anyone know of a 6.9 core engine near ft worth? I may have one but need to find out what condition its in. My plan is a full cryod bottom end with shaved pistons to acheive 19-1 compression, copper headgaskets and o-rings to hold back 50psi, i also think im gonna go the p pump route. Filled block half way. It will take a while but it will be worth it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
This is some information about filling half of the block cooling system around the cylinders. I'm no expert but... How are you going to channel coolant thru the filled areas so the oil cooler has coolant flowing thru it. I'm not wanting to rain on your parade but I'm wondering all the same about this. For me the bottom end is bullit prrof and not needing any work like cyro treatment.. Its a nice added insurance but not required for the hp we can make. Shaving the pistons is tricky. About 14 or 15 thousands off the tops is max and I know others have cut much more but... I got my info from the Mahle designers. They told me the top ring will get too hot because there isn't enough material to keep it cool if more it shaved off. So think about the low comp pistons. What is done to make a lo comp piston is the pin bore is machined 10 higher up in the piston and that drops it 10 thou in the bore. So lo comp and 15 off the tops is a reduction of.. 25 thousands. Whats tht going to give you for a cr. Trueing up the mains is going to give you more hidden hp. Look at the main bearings when they come out. If any wear is found on one side more than the other then thats clear proof that web is not square with the crank. That causes enternal drag and that cuts down on hp. The rod bearings can show the same thing. If its seen on the rods then that bore is not square with the crank too and needs to be cleaned up. Now every block has a twist in it. So decking the block square with the bottom end in also inportant. Now the finall item is rotating balance everything. The better it turns in balance the better each power stroke is acepted at the crank. Think of it this way.. a bad injecter gives a poor power to the combustion. That pushes down the piston at a lees forcefull amount. Thats a vibration in the power. Its mostly a lot of "things" that creates a good proformong engine that gets good miles per gallon..

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This ^^^ Like Gary said, we haven't found the limits of the block, so why fill it when it isn't a weakness? How much fuel are you wanting to run with that p-pump?

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take the pistons to someone with a lathe and have the centers cut down but leave the outer edge (1/4-1/2" maybe) to protect the rings. Might take some calculating but it should be easy to figure out.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Take the pistons to someone with a lathe and have the centers cut down but leave the outer edge (1/4-1/2" maybe) to protect the rings. Might take some calculating but it should be easy to figure out.

It could hurt performance by messing with the combustion swirl.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
....................with shaved pistons to acheive 19-1 compression

copper headgaskets and o-rings to hold back 50psi

You don't really need machined piston crowns to get in the 19:1 neighborhood. Just get a set of reduced compression pistons from Mahle (or whoever you like). The 10 thousands reduction in compression height will put the compression ratio at 19.7:1 without sacrificing piston crown thickness. Get that piston crown to thin, and that heat has got to go somewhere......... like the rings or wrist pin. Ron knows this all too well.

Who/Where are you going to get the copper gaskets and firering set from?

Heath

rembrant88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been from oil burners for a while but I'll start up my supercharged idi thread pretty quick. I love how you guys beat the idi power subject to death. I think there will be more progress on high HP idi's. I still think supercharger is the way to go on these engines, figured I'd throw in another subject to toss around, Lol.