Big Ed's Extreme Truck Makeover!

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Ok Guys, "Cover me, I'm going IN!" Starting Tomorrow I will be bringing the truck down to my shop and starting the dismantling process of all bolt on parts, and "Body Man Bob" will be preping the body for paint, and the other bolt on accesseries that I have had sitting in my garage for over a year. It will give the truck a whole different look, Hopefully a little tougher, and cleaner. I will be losing most of the chrome accesseries, and filling the holes making the truck clean and smooth. I have some fender flares that I have only seen on ONE ford truck in my 5 years of Ford Diesel Truck Experience.

It started a little earlier with the addition of the 17X10" rims and 315 BFG's Those were installed a few weeks ago, and should fill out the new flares niceley.

I have been wanting to get a good paint job on this truck ever since I got it from California 4 years ago, and am very excited to have it all come together. I think My Brother Dave said it best, "That truck Diserves a Good Paint job!"..and I agree.

This is all possible because of the Boat/Tailgate accident, and having some insurance money to spend on the truck. :thumbsup:

I will keep you posted on the progress with pics etc.

Later,
Darrin

*disclamer* Please note that the use of "Extreme Truck Makeover" may or may not be applicable to this project when you compare it to what Ron did on Goldie, that was an "Extreme" Extreme truck makeover, mine is just an extreme truck makeover, plus it just sounds cool,..thanks for listening and undrstanding.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Good luck Darrin! Keep us posted duing it's "Makeover". Dave is right that truck deserves a 1st rate paint job. Russ

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Darrin Tosh said:
*disclamer* Please note that the use of "Extreme Truck Makeover" may or may not be applicable to this project when you compare it to what Ron did on Goldie, that was an "Extreme" Extreme truck makeover, mine is just an extreme truck makeover, plus it just sounds cool,..thanks for listening and undrstanding.
;Sweet
Good luck there Darrin. :thumbsup:
I know I set the standard pretty high for a daily driver, but I know you can do it! :hail
Don't forget the 12 cans of undercoating for the belly of the beast.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I the extra parking spot in the garage cleaned out and parked the truck. Before I tear into it I took a few last pics.

Also note the finger print dust on the truck, the night that we got home from the rallly my truck got groke into. The rr door doesn't lock (that will get fixed now) and it looks like a couple of kids got in it. All they took was my CB that didn't work very well, the remote controll for my radio, and one of my FRS radio's. That's it, they didnt touch my Deck, Amp. sleakers, sub, guages, counsol, or anything, and nothing was broken. So I feel very fortunate.

I have an extra CB here at the shop that is going in the truck anyway, I also have another remote for the radio. I just need to buy another FRS radio.

I reported to police just so they have a record incase it happens again, and they got some prints off the truck.

Anyway, I gotta go start removing parts, Here are the pics.

Attachments

• SV500001.JPG
    SV500001.JPG
    190.5 KB · Views: 70
  • SV500005.JPG
    SV500005.JPG
    193.8 KB · Views: 94
  • SV500006.JPG
    SV500006.JPG
    186.4 KB · Views: 78
  • SV500004.JPG
    SV500004.JPG
    191.4 KB · Views: 79

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I could be missing something here but that truck seems to be in excellent shape as it is. Why the re-do?

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Nice looking shop but it's too clean to ever get any work done in it Needs more tools too.

Thanks, We actually worked on a School Bus inside last month (5.9 cummins powered btw),

I spent most of the day cleaning it to start on my truck. I didn't want to start that project with a messy shop.

As far as tools, I will turn the camera around on Monday to show the rest of the shop, 3 more bays, 2 lift's, tire changer, balancer, and a huge Snap On tool chest. Everything youll ever need! The little Craftsman box is mine, and my mechanic Bob has the the Big Tools!

I could be missing something here but that truck seems to be in excellent shape as it is. Why the re-do?

Good question, the truck is a 30 footer, looks great from a distance, at night, when its raining, real hard, The clear coat is peeling in places, there are numerous paint chips, and minor flaws, and a few dime size rust stars just starting, and an odd old acid spot that has been there and is getting worse, so now is a great time to get it all striped down to bare metal, and get a good coat of paint on it.

Gotta go, take the kids swimming,
Later,
Darrin

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spent most of the day cleaning it to start on my truck. I didn't want to start that project with a messy shop.

Oh boy do I know that feeling...I walked out to my shop today, thats still a mess from building my trailer last month and parting out a couple of tractors, with the intention of cleaning it but with my back hurting bad all day because of the rain I shut the lights off and went back into the house and parked my tail in the Lazy Boy and watched movies instead.:popcorn

:cry: Unfortunatly the mess is still there and I'll have to get to it before I part the next 2 tractors out.

I don't need to see that huge Snap on box to make me jealous cause my little old beat up Craftsman is too small and I need to get another set and cut 3 more feet off the workbench to get the rest of my tools put up.
You must be registered for see images attach

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks nice Darrin. I'm definately jealous. My crew is coming together. I finally got a flexplate this past week, so it's in the shop getting balanced to match my engine, then hopefully into the truck next week, and get it running.

Mines more of a work unit though, and although yours looks real sweet, mine will just take too much of a beating, so there's no point in putting paint or other toys on it.

You're gonna love the feeling when you first peel off the paper and see that glossy paint. Won't even look real. Makes the chrome come out too. Can't wait for the pics...

Zigg :)

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Darrin keep me in mind if you decide to lose the sun visor.

I took it off today Gary, I am getting a new Lund lighted visor so it is yours, I will PM you with the details.

I don't need to see that huge Snap on box to make me jealous cause my little old beat up Craftsman is too small and I need to get another set and cut 3 more feet off the workbench to get the rest of my tools put up

Nice set of Tools! You know you have a lot of tools when you have remodle you shop to hold them :thumbsup:

Looks nice Darrin. I'm definately jealous. My crew is coming together. I finally got a flexplate this past week, so it's in the shop getting balanced to match my engine, then hopefully into the truck next week, and get it running.

Mines more of a work unit though, and although yours looks real sweet, mine will just take too much of a beating, so there's no point in putting paint or other toys on it.

You're gonna love the feeling when you first peel off the paper and see that glossy paint. Won't even look real. Makes the chrome come out too. Can't wait for the pics...

Thanks Zigg, I am definatlly getting excited to see the finished pduct. Glad to hear yours is coming together, cant wait to see how that thing runs! bet you cant either.

I started to strip it down today, I got most of the chrome off, Tie downs, grab handles, badges, (we don't need no stinkin badges), door handles, locks, bed caps, tail lights, SS trim around the fender wells, mirrors, stuff like that.

So all it's going well, Body man Bob is coming over tomorrow evening to start prepping and sanding. We are going to do the door jams first, then get the body ready and take it to the Kenworth Dealer and use there paint booth to shoot the truck when it is ready. Should be painted by the first of next week. :thumbsup:

Here are a couple of pics, I am trying to stay organized so I purchased some glad disposable containers so everything that I take off the truck is labled, and put away so I won't loose anything, that is the plan anyway. Also there is a pic of the flares that will be going on the truck.

That is the latest! Thanks again,
Darrin

Attachments

• SV500009.JPG
    SV500009.JPG
    186.2 KB · Views: 38
  • SV500010.JPG
    SV500010.JPG
    186.3 KB · Views: 43
  • handles.JPG
    handles.JPG
    184 KB · Views: 46