Best price on zd1a's?

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Well, finally down to my last 8. Looks like they've gone up in price - ALOT.

I like to keep spares on the shelf - anyone have a super secret cheap source fro zd1a's?

I'm going back to 8.5 BTDC I'm tired of burning 8 of these a year...

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Can you explain how they are getting burnt up? Are the tips actually getting eaten down, or are they just going bad?

They are spendy. I need a set of 8 for when I do my rebuild. Last I heard they were like $9 a piece :eek:

Oh, and what was your timing at before?

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
rockauto has them for 10 something a piece, ebay has good deals on them from time to time, but i dont have a pay pal so the only way i buy or sell something on ebay is if i go threw my uncle

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
In two years two sets. Granted the first year I was doing waste oil 100% - this year mostly running #2 and same issue. Has to be the timing. They don't mushroom or anything. I usually kill between 6 and 8.

I'm doing alot of stuff to Bessie for winter and I just finished the passenger side WHAT A PITA - so after I install all my new bubble tight valves for fuel switching and such I'll be doing the timing. Just gunna take'r to 8.5 see what she does.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure it isn't that latching relay holding them on too long? That is the usual cause of death on the ZD1A. I may have 7 out of 8 of a good set before I did my solid state conversion, I'll look. They had less than 6,000 miles on when taken out and they all worked and weren't deformed. They would be REAL CHEAP since they are just collecting dust here. That said I think you'll find the need to go to a solid state conversion of some sort yourself or set up a momentary toggle or you could contact agenem, he has an electric thingamajig that allows you to keep the factory glow plug system functional yet turns the glow plugs off in the event that the relay sticks them on too long. Otherwise the factory latching relay cannot be trusted. Failure mode is not safe. I do NOT think it's timing at 9.5BTDC you are within factory specs there. Go beyond 10 or 10.5 and you'll get pitting and eventually kill them. PM me if you're interested in my old ones :)

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
already on momentary, was doing 8 secs max, this time I'm just going block heat the thing and only use the plugs when absolutely necessary.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, well maybe it is the timing then....I hope not cause if it is that means I'll be changing some soon. I'm at around 0.5 ATDC with luminosity which is around 9-10 BTDC pulse... Here's something else you could try if you can find these things reasonably priced you could try the 12V glow plugs from the 5.7 Government Motors slow glow system, from the 1978-80 models. You can leave them on about as long as you need to and they will be OK since they are rated for the voltage. They just take a long time to get hot.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
you will probly loose power and mialage by droping your timing back down i, iirc most people say around 9.7 btdc is the best timing for the ulsd

sootman73

Reaction score
oreilly auto parts has berus for around $6 a piece. they have alot of parts for our engines so it seems but you have to ask specific for it. two of my friends work for oreillys and they even pop test injectors to balance them. (they have their own testing location for parts like these) i guess anyway.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
oreilly auto parts has berus for around $6 a piece. they have alot of parts for our engines so it seems but you have to ask specific for it. two of my friends work for oreillys and they even pop test injectors to balance them. (they have their own testing location for parts like these) i guess anyway.

i wish orieley here was like that they want 18 a piece for motorcraft plugs:puke:, and o yea did you get a chance to get that stuff boxed today?

sootman73

Reaction score
mark is removing all the pieces tonight so i can get them packaged up tomorrow. hes been having fun getting the pieces off i guess...

dont worry we'll get ya fixed up!

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
mark is removing all the pieces tonight so i can get them packaged up tomorrow. hes been having fun getting the pieces off i guess...

dont worry we'll get ya fixed up!

ok thanks man, not trying to rush or anything just checking. and i bet its fun getting thing off of psd's:puke:

sootman73

Reaction score
i'm just glad he volunteered to do it! LOLLOL at least the engine is on the ground so that helps...