Berryman B 12 or sea foam?

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've gotten away with using Seafoam in the fuel and in the crankcase of my IDIs. My '94 crewcab left a thick plume of gray smoke behind it when I bought it. I put Seafoam and Power Service DieselKleen in the fuel and Seafoam in the crankcase, and drove it hard. The smoke was mostly gone after 200 miles. It still burns too much oil, and the injectors (with factory-original gray paint!) still need to be changed, but the chemicals helped some.

Normally, I add a pint of Walmart 2-cycle oil in every tank of fuel for lubricity, and add some Power Services antifreeze after my filter plugged up recently.

Big Daddy John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only times it may be useful to use the stronger (expensive) stiction eliminators is if you bought a truck that the po didn’t believe in oil changes. You probably get sticking lifters in the mornings and need something a bit stronger than mmo to clean up years of poor maintenance. But in 99% of cases mmo is plenty for our old tractor engines
Ok, this may be a dumb question but what are symptoms of sticky lifters? Pardon me if it seems elementary but just trying to learn as much as I can about these engines. Got 2 7.3 IDI’s and wanna make them last a lonnggggg time!

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Popping/thudding/odd missing sounds that happen at first startup and go away as the engine warms up.

Don't confuse this with actual missing due to, say, a glow plug being out, - you'll see the white smoke as it misses in that case.