Berryman B 12 or sea foam?

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
question: is B-12 or Seafoam safe to use in idi n/a engines? How much is needed ? What if I look for ? I'm using Marvel Mystery Oil right now

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many diesel specific additives out there that I’d rather use in the fuel. I wouldn’t recommend dumping it into the intake to clean carbon out you’d have better results giving it some good throttle on the on ramp to the highway now and again and burn it out. I know if I just putt around town for days I notice my truck starts acting different but 10 minutes on the highway and it seems to clean it out and make everything normal again

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stopped using it years ago. As stated before, better diesel specific additives available now. I use mostly Lubrication Specialties products / Hotshot's Secret. No, I am not affiliated with this company but I do like the products, that I use, very much.

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So seafoam is bad for a idi didn't know that hm n might need to order hotshot might be way cheaper then parts stores

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't say Seafoam is bad, I just moved on to better product for Diesels. I also use 'stiction' and anti-wear lubrication products. A lot of products have come out in the past 3-5 years that are not 'Snake Oil'.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't say Seafoam is bad, I just moved on to better product for Diesels. I also use 'stiction' and anti-wear lubrication products. A lot of products have come out in the past 3-5 years that are not 'Snake Oil'.
Just be aware that we shouldn't need any 'stiction' products - the main goal of these products is to handle gummed-up HEUI injectors due to crummy oil / not changing it frequently enough. IDIs don't have HEUI injectors, so no need to clean them.

Really, clean diesel is enough for the injectors in an IDI(remember - additives are blended into the fuel you get at the pump already). Add some cheap additives if you want to, but the best way to restore engine performance is to /work/ it. Hook a trailer, floor it and basically max out the engine for a while. Obviously watch those EGTs, though.
(Note: Not counting anti-free/CFPP-reducing additives, because those can be useful if it's really cold out and you don't have winterized fuel).

On the oil side, changing your oil regularly works wonders. Marvel Mystery Oil does seem to help a little with the lifters, probably due to it dissolving some deposits?
Either way it's cheap($3.88/quart at Walmart).

Oh, and I've used it to fill a new fuel filter as well. Engine runs fine on straight MMO(just like the engine runs fine on ATF).

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stiction fighter does it's job in our IDIs. MMO is great also to add to every oil change. The stiction fighter is used in every 4th or 5th oil change in place of Qt or 2 of oil. Cleans burnt-in crud deposits on engine & turbo internals. We have IDIs, PS 7.3s, 6.0s, Cummins, Benz & Hino lawn mower trucks in the families around here using these products.
Works for us!

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many diesel specific additives out there that I’d rather use in the fuel. I wouldn’t recommend dumping it into the intake to clean carbon out you’d have better results giving it some good throttle on the on ramp to the highway now and again and burn it out. I know if I just putt around town for days I notice my truck starts acting different but 10 minutes on the highway and it seems to clean it out and make everything normal again

Word of caution; Never dump any type of liquid into the intake of a diesel engine. That is why people use gas soaked rags instead of pouring gas directly into the intake. Also why ether is a gas. There is very little clearance between the piston and the head when the piston is tdc.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Stiction fighter does it's job in our IDIs. MMO is great also to add to every oil change. The stiction fighter is used in every 4th or 5th oil change in place of Qt or 2 of oil. Cleans burnt-in crud deposits on engine & turbo internals. We have IDIs, PS 7.3s, 6.0s, Cummins, Benz & Hino lawn mower trucks in the families around here using these products.
Works for us!

I am not discounting you experience, but I also have to agree with @Macrobb. If you notice the Stiction products having an effect on an IDI, then you may have something else that needs addressed. Even something as simple as poor maintenance in the past. My experience is with an IDI, if it has decent oil in it that's changed in a reasonable time-frame, the engine should stay happy. The stiction products for the HEUI engines, may be doing some cleaning and make a difference. But in my experience, having both IDI's and a 6.0, I wouldn't spent the coin they want for Hot Shot's or Rex-X (I like Rev-X Personally) when a cleaning product like MMO would work just as well, and be much less expensive.

Just an opinion..... not trying to start he additive/oil argument......

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only times it may be useful to use the stronger (expensive) stiction eliminators is if you bought a truck that the po didn’t believe in oil changes. You probably get sticking lifters in the mornings and need something a bit stronger than mmo to clean up years of poor maintenance. But in 99% of cases mmo is plenty for our old tractor engines

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like a mixture of Howe’s and stanadyne lubricity formula in the winter and just the stanadyne when it’s warm. I bought a gallon and a half off eBay for 75$ and 2oz treats 15 gallons. Both claim to clean. Usually every other oil change I’ll put a bottle of sea foam in the oil just for the few minutes I’m turning the truck around and pulling it into the garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight