aux oil cooler install

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If oil temps is a fear going to a turbo maybe a small power steering oil cooler can be installed BEFORE the turbo.:sly Just s early norning wakeup thought.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to say, I like the idea of an extra oil cooler and have myself considered this as well. Mostly because locally here it gets REALLY HOT in the summer and when wheeling, at very slow speed heat builds up. I've not had an issue yet with that Champion rad however I"ve not got to wheel as hard as I'd want at all. NO air flow at LOW RANGE 1st gear basically except fan moving air over rad keeping temps down. I've not over heated YET, and I say that with caution. In all honesty if you haul heavy and want to use whats available air...while driving then this setup can be a real benefit. Oil is the first line of cooling for these engines it is what is in contact with bearings and pistons and so forth and strips the heat away. Our water portion of the cooling system is secondary. Why do you think big air cooled diesels have OIL coolers...???Now to add a cooler to the trans LOL and not just a big box on the PTO location some type of pumped system that flows through a cooler similar to the one in this thread, Nuff of my rant...I agree with the OP in post 12!Nuff saidAl

Black dawg

Reaction score
Liquid to liquid heat transfer is 5 times more efficient than air to liquid. Oil temp up to 280* is not harmful, you can run synthetic up to 360*.

I dont think the point of this thread was to keep oil temps below a certain level, it was more about being easy to keep coolant temps under a certain level.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
iv long since removed:
Earl's Performance Temp-A-Cure 16 Row Oil Cooler #41610A

^ i went to install my plow for the first time,that first winter with the oil cooler mounted down there and it wasn't high enough.i broke it! so i replaced it and moved it up.the one i replaced it with was with a bit larger one:
Earl's 42500

it works even quicker to help keep oil and coolant temps low when pulling grades in the heat.
both the aux trans and oil coolers are stacked (oil in front of trans) directly behind the front bumper and cut outs.
this second cooler sprung a (slow) leak (drip) for some reason recently too and it's now being repaired.

iv recently searched a little but i still don't think anyone offers a oil cooler filter sandwich for the ever so popular 7.3l engines!:eek:

Last edited:

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So am I missing something today???
Looks like 1 -1/2-16 sandwich adapters on amazon now...
Still hunting.

Edit in....
Gunna be a long cold hunt.

Last edited:

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How are your oil pressures with this setup and where are you taking the oil pressure? I am seeing my oil pressure drop when the oil heats up and was thinking about this. I can see 4psi hot and 26psi cruising at 2000 rpm even with 15w40

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How are your oil pressures with this setup and where are you taking the oil pressure? I am seeing my oil pressure drop when the oil heats up and was thinking about this. I can see 4psi hot and 26psi cruising at 2000 rpm even with 15w40

wow! those are low readings.im reading,i dunno like 45/50 i guess on cold start (im pretty sure?) and then (i'll have to watch it again to know for sure) like 35/40 hot.i dunno if i see below 25 mark at all even at hot idle.
You must be registered for see images attach

i just recall your supposed to see approx 7 psi minimum per 1k rpm? does that sound right? my pressures are always really high (both trucks) so as long as i always see the needle up over 25 psi,i always know im looking good.
you might want to pull over after pulling a grade and shoot the pan.when i saw 260F outside the pan,i figured a oil temp sender if located there would of probably showed 265+.
you might be really surprised just how hot your oil is running.

im running Mobil 1 turbo diesel truck 5/40 (9k oil change intervals. 12 quarts with aux cooler and lines and m1-601 jumbo sized filter)

handy little buggers;
http://www.amazon.com/HDE-Non-Contact-Infrared-Temperature-Thermometer/dp/B002YE3FS4

i installed a oil temp gauge in chip truck too but never did install a sending unit.i should just install it somewhere if im not going to get around to having a bung welded to my pan......though i know my oil is always cool (above and around 200F) with the aux cooler.it's still a waste of my gauge just sitting there being dumb.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 16
  • index.png
    index.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I carry a two dot ir with me for work so I will check next time. My coolant never goes over 200f. I am using an electric gauge and I'm wondering if it's just a funky sender because I never see a low pressure oil light or the factory gauge read outside of normal. Both my sensors are in the turbo block too. I'm not too worried about it. I checked my oil pressure regulator when I changed my oil and it moved and oring closed fine as best as I could tell. I see 40psi on cold start and usually 30 to 32psi cruising hot at 60mph. I'll have to try a mechanical gauge temporarily in place of the factory sender and see what it reads.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
iv long since removed:
Earl's Performance Temp-A-Cure 16 Row Oil Cooler #41610A

^ i went to install my plow for the first time,that first winter with the oil cooler mounted down there and it wasn't high enough.i broke it! so i replaced it and moved it up.the one i replaced it with was with a bit larger one:
Earl's 42500

installed yet a 3rd time! this time with:
CXRacing OC-248-30-AN10

http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CXR&Product_Code=OC-248-30-AN10

i keep going bigger but no need lol.so the second one just started leaking.vibration i guess?
anyway,the local machine shop couldn't repair it due to where the leak was so since the earls leaked on it's own (the first one was my fault) i decided against supporting the higher prices.if im not going to get higher quality then im not paying a high quality price again.
picked this one up new for 75 bucks on ebay.so less than half the price.bigger,seems just as well (if not better) built too boot.this time i went to the local hardware store and found some 1/2" thick rubber blocks (i dunno what used for,i didn't pay attention.was just right for what i was after) and used them for shock absorber mounts this time,so hopefully this one wont leak.

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering why we couldnt modify the turbo oil return pedestal to run through an oil cooler? That's probably the hotest oil, an already returning stream, and could be routed anywhere instead of the valley pan.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Problem with that is you don't want to add any restrictions. Otherwise you'll blow the oil seal in the turbo and have a runaway to deal with.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Turbos return foamy looking oil, not a clean flow. Not a good idea to restrict that in any way. My 4x4 is a hot running *****, always, I have a custom 5 row radiator and it still will heat on long pulls loaded. I have a amsoil remote filter setup and the plan is to plumb in a cooler to shed some oil heat. If I ever get a chance to work on my own stuff.
Also, if you guys are running electric gauges I highly recommend baselining their readings with a IR gun and mechanical pressure gauge. One of our guys just had an engine rebuilt because of low oil pressure, guess what , it was the sender. Autometer. good brand, nothing is infallible.
FYI

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally, I would go a different route.

Just for the sake of safety and me not liking routing all of the engine's oil flow through a cooler... I think a good way of doing it would be to build a bypass oil filter setup and put the cooler after the filter. That way if a line fails, you dont instantly loose all oil pressure and you don't have to rely on 1/2" hose to supply all of the oil flow for the engine... That and bypass oil filtration is ****. Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle