ATS 088 Thermocouple Thread/Size

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered my hypermax Pyrometer and need to find out the thread and size of the tap on my 088 turbo. My truck is in the transmission shop and am unable to do this myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Pryo's usually come with two ways to mount them. If you mount it in the drivers side exhaust manifold between 6-8 cyl's, you can either drill and tap for 1/4" NPT, then the Pyro slips in the brass threaded fitting and a nut with a ferrule seals it, or drill a 1/4" hole and the Pyro is held in the hole by a special clamp that goes around the exhaust manifold. Some turbos have a place for the Pyro on the downpipe side, the exhaust manifold is the best place to have it, close to true EGT's. Some places you have to order the mounting hardware separate.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 088 has a tapped hole with a plug in it where a thermocouple is supposed to go. It is on the cast iron exhaust manifold side. Here's a pic of someone else's turbo. You can see where they tapped this hole from the factory. I want to say it is a 1/4 NTP.

You must be registered for see images attach

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 088 has a tapped hole with a plug in it where a thermocouple is supposed to go. It is on the cast iron exhaust manifold side. Here's a pic of someone else's turbo. You can see where they tapped this hole from the factory. I want to say it is a 1/4 NTP.

You must be registered for see images attach

I don't see any tapped hole for a Pyro in that pic. If your saying it's the 90* fitting and hose on top, thats an oil line.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bottom left hand corner of the pic.

My Hypermax combo boost/pyro was 1/8" NPT.

FWIW

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Sherwin. Yes, look at the bottom left corner of pic please. Sorry I didn't point that out earlier. That's where ATS tapped a hole for a pyro.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just pulled out my tap and dye set. I remember cleaning the threads on the exhaust manifold hole before putting a plug in it. I did this prior to installation back in January. My 1/4 NPT tap still has a bunch of rust and carbon on it from when I used it so it has to be 1/4. Thanks for the help

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hypermax called me this morning and said they have 2 different thermocouple sizes. One being 1/8 and the other 1/4. I told her to give me the 1/4 but wanted to make sure it WAS 1/4 before she shipped it out to me.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah. Cool. You'll love that whole package. I'm assuming you ordered the aluminum mounting cup and the whole enchilada?

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes sir. I also like the way the gauge looks compared to the glowshift one that I had bought and returned. Reminds me of those old style gauges the semi's used to have in them back in the day.
Really wondering how much boost this ATS 088 is pumping out :sly.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just looked at mine. Same 088 turbo setup as the one pictured.
1/4" NPT is correct.