anyone what the white wire with yellow stripe is on trans harness

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC that's the EPC ground feed for the PCM, the computer uses that to control the duty cycle of the EPC solenoid and thus regulate line counter pressure and therefore modify the main line pressure. Why you wanna mess with it?

trugertha1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ha well i got a lil b&m shift plus says hook up to white wire with yellow strip, and red wire.. well i did that and now my truck will barely take off from a start... works great if you start in 1st or 2nd bah i dunno what i did. o ya and i can't get it to go past 2500 rpm while in gear
i think i messed with it pretty good haha.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, so you're installing a floor shifter, and you need to hook up wires for it why? The good thing about Ford transmissions is that everything you need to operate the ignition and backup lights is contained on the trans itself, the only thing the column shifter does is move the manual lever on the side of the trans, so as long as you retain the lever and the MLPS that rides on it you don't need to cut up any wires in the trans harness.

trugertha1

Full Access Member
Reaction score

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
One thing I can see is if it is the exact unit that you linked to, it is not for your truck. The site says 95-97 F-150 F-250. I would say it is not for the E40D, maybe the AOD.... When you removed the unit, did the transmission function return to normal? Or is it still not working?

trugertha1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
still not working. in the instructions it says for trans code e, my instructions says for 88-94? so i think it was supposed to work haha if not o well i made a mess. now i just really need to fix it haha

trugertha1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i unhooked the pcm? the computer that controls the trans. and it seems to shift the same with it unhooked. hmm maybe i burnt it up?

trugertha1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you mean fuse #5 trans o/d signal,stop ? if so then no....but i cannot turn off my o/d either with the truck running or just in the on position

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i unhooked the pcm? the computer that controls the trans. and it seems to shift the same with it unhooked. hmm maybe i burnt it up?

Yeah, cause your trans is in limp mode, you only have 2nd gear in manual 1st or 2nd, and 4th in "D". I read the instructions of that B&M thing, and it does exactly what SigEpBlue from FSB did on his truck, only he did it at the harness near the trans, and he used a regular off-the-shelf power resistor. Here's where it gets interesting - I tried duplicating his setup, and I got nothing, it was shifting worse than it did when factory. So I tried something else, we have a nice big thread about that here at OBN actually, but what I did was cut the white/yellow wire and splice a power resistor inline with it, now this worked very well and by swapping the resistors I can achieve different levels of line pressure. There are a few other OBN and also FSB members who have done it the same way as me. The odd thing in all that is, the way SigEpBlue and B&M have that setup, it increases voltage on the EPC feed to the PCM, whereas mine decreases it, which is fundamentally opposite, so I have absolutely no clue why one works for some PCM, while others require the entirely opposite setup to achieve the same result.

What I would suggest to you is to not even bother with the B&M thing, and sell it to someone poser and mall-crawler who don't know any better. The best way of achieving what you want is through a real shift kit, read through here if you wanna get your head spinning:

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24341

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=30961

trugertha1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bah thanx again at this point i just want it to work normally,. like i mentioned on tds i can't turn off my od at all in d or in p or anything does that have to do with the limp mode? also could i have fried the epc hooking this thing up?

trugertha1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mlsc i noticed that you said in one of your posts in the links you said there was voltage coming from the white wire with yellow strip while in gear at idle. i have nothing at that wire in d at idle.. also related to limp mode???? or is this my issue

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Id the red wire still connected to the PCM? Or, to word it different, si the white/yellow wire the only one that's not hooked up? If the PCM is entirely unplugged you won't have voltage anywhere. Like I said on TDS, remove the B&M, restore factory connections, insulate any cuts you may have made, and disconnect batteries for 15 minutes to reset the PCM, the try firing her up and see what she does.

trugertha1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya i get no voltage from the white/ yellow while in gear WITH the pcm hooked up. but i do get power from the red wire 12.5v im in the middle of fixing my harness now and ill get back to you when im done thanx alot .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online