Anyone running any non-oem turbo's on this forum?

swank

Reaction score
i think the bad transition thing would be all handled in how the wastegate was set up. as far as a bottom turbo, i jus dunno. the b2's are popular. i've read up on some of the garrets (they have a great website), t88, t91, stuff in that range seems like it would be good. the big turbo on the 650 hp truck was a big brother. htt is coming out with an ht4c type soon (maybe they already have). their supposed to be good. higher flow than a 3b.

head work? i'm running just a .020 gasket and new BOLTS, no studs or orings yet. pushed it to 60 psi once (kinda) by accident. had to clean the shorts after that one. i wanted to see what would happen if i blocked the wastegate. normally, my big turbos pushing about 25 to 28 psi, and comes on at about 20 psi manifold pressure, for a total of 50ish psi. and it only gets there if i push it. well, when i blocked the 'gate, i hit 60 by the middle of 3rd gear!!!!!! yikes. took the forceps right off after that! but anyway, some people have popped gaskets at 40 psi, supposedly. and if you just added studs, you would definitely be better off. you can do those one at a time and not have to remove the head. i've been to 50 plus MANY times and have yet to have a problem.

dave

ProMac1K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good, but will it work long term? That's what i'm curious about. What can you hold for boost for long term too? Of course just going down the highway maintaining speed you aren't going to see a large amount, but who knows what it could be with a smaller small turbo. Another thing to think about is, would I gain anything if I went to a small set of twins and lets just say kept the boost to 40-45? Would they be efficient enough to not need 50+ psi?

swank

Reaction score
well, the only reason to go with twins is to get more pressure, right? more pressure=cooler temps. i have very little actual experience, but everything i've read says that with just studs you'd be good for 50 in the long term. mines been good so far. i've been "testing" them pretty hard since the middle or so of february. if yer wanting 500 usable horse, i doubt you'll get away with not pulling the head. i'd love to be proven wrong on that one though :D. as far as cruise boost, it would prolly be high with a tiny top turbo. i've been thinking about how to set up an in cab wastegate control for a while. it'd be nice to crack the wastegate while cruising and let the top turbo take a break. i think mileage might see a small increase too.

ProMac1K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True, but with a smaller initial turbo, that would decrease lag, right? And twins should decrease drive pressure which would decrease temps. That would be two plus's. This is just from reading. Of course a decent sized VGT would work as well. :D

I'm just sick of the lag. I'm wasting a lot of fuel until the turbo spools up. I would think a stock turbo would spool better than this. Maybe i'm just overfueling it. Maybe it would spool better with less fuel. ???

swank

Reaction score
yes. the smaller you go on top, the less lag you will have. i think an hy could be pretty fun on top. definitely need an external gate (big one) once you go there though. hell, i need one on my set up. and yes, twins WILL decrease dp. with my stock turbo, at 40 psi boost, i had 75psi dp. :eek:. with the htt upgrade, i was at about 48 psi dp @ 40psi boost. with the twins, it's about even till 50psi.

any ideas on how to make an electronically variable air regulator? that's what i've got to figure out to get on with my vgt twins project.

i doubt you can overfuel the turbo. i just dunno though. :confused:

94matt

Reaction score
Tmaas, I'm with you on the small twins set. I've been thinking of building a set with an Hx40 as the big turbo. I don't want huge power, but do want instant spool at high elevation. Let us know more what you find out about the smaller turbo's.

Matt

ProMac1K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the gearing has a lot to do with it. I'm running 3.54's. As it doesn't have as much lag in OD off as it does with OD on.

The problem that I will face is the fabrication of the pipes, or the cost. That's what's keeping me from doing that. Plus the stock turbo does its job and works fine.

swank

Reaction score
TMaas said:
Plus the stock turbo does its job and works fine.

that's the hardest part, huh? and i don't know what yer situation and skills are, but building a set really is not that much work. especially if you've got a buddy for help. as far as cost, that was the nice thing about my set up. used the stock turbo on top, and the bottom turbo cost 400 new. that's the advantage to making a more "run of the mill" set ups. these 3b's and 3e's are REAL common turbos. what's your email? i can try to send you a video of my gauges in action if you want. give you an idea of the spool with this kind of set up. oh yeah, the pipes are all made outta exhaust tubing from napa, except the hot pipe. that's a plumbing 90*. and there's a guy on nwbombers.com who you might be able to talk some real nice flanges out of.

dave

oHBMQUINN

Reaction score
I am running a hybrid htturbo stage IV it comes with a housing and inducer whel 60 mm and backing plate machined for larger whel

Got Smoke?

The Smokey One
Reaction score
I running a HTT HTB2 Killer B2 64mm/14cm WG'd and I love it!

It starts to spool around 1600-1700RPM and takes off! I still have entirely too much fuel for it, but I may send it off to be converted to a Sled Puller 66 (66mm/14cm) soon. I need to get a set of 33" tires and reduce some drag/lag with my 3.55 gears.

05Dave

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Bponci

Reaction score
I am running a phatshaft 62/.80 and a bht3b/23 with duel wastegates and electrical boost controller. Runs ok! :rolleyes: ;p